Your second team for the RWC

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
If your team takes an unexpectedly early bath, or was never in with a chance to start with, who will you be rooting for and why? Either to win overall or to generally have an excellent tournament by their own standards. This is all about the heart, not the head.

To win

So faced with the miniscule chance Italy do not make it out of their group I'll be supporting the Pumas for the win (given a SF is easily do-able I think they are in the wider conversation). I like how they try to play and think Cheika was criminally underrated by the Aussie union as he had possibly an even poorer batch of players than they have now (they were stinking up Super Rugby something awful in his later years).

Honorable mentions to Ireland and NZ in honour of their quest to continue punching above their weight (in terms of population) and also strangely to England and Australia for the comedy value of seeing if their coaches get any credit. A finals appearance by Borthwick or EJ would be wonderfully surreal.

I generally never support hosts, so apologies to France.

To overachieve

Despite my avatar and username it has to be Uruguay. They are the same size as Georgia but have none of the government funds. They are a simple, small union who makes annual improvements every year on and off the field for many years on end and this is their best side ever (even better than the one that defeated Fiji last time around). They are not a favoured child by World Rugby and they cannot use eligibility rules to their advantage. They are just grafters, plain and simple.

I would not mind them beating Italy (since Italy are almost elminated before we start) and I think we can see them give the French a bloody nose in the first half in round 2 (if France aren't a wounded animal after losing on opening night). Something like that would make the most out of a pretty horrible draw.

Last edited:
Japan's always been my 2nd team but they're about as likely to make it as England - going off recent form they're going to have their worst tournament in a decade

Not sure who'd I'd want to win beyond them - probably France or Ireland, both have an English connection in the coaching staff and have been the two best sides in the NH (arguably the world) this world cup cycle. Think I prefer Ireland as a side but the language barrier would mean the bragging from the French wouldn't be as in your face

Actually do I want another NH side to win the rwc? 2003 is the only thing we've got left
Despite liking most of the players on the Boks team I could never support a Rassie side, so maybe I'll just have to go with the All Blacks

I've supported SA for as long as I can remember as my second team.
Despite Rassie being there, I'll still be supporting them !

I've picked France to win. I'd love Australia to do well as it would pile further pressure on the RFU.

However I'd love another NH team to win, well Scotland or Ireland. So Ireland it is i think.

Easy one for me … Ireland (I live here) although I'd also like to see Fiji do well.

England are my second team now.
Always had a soft spot for Fiji as well, but then, who hasn't?

For any match not including France, England or Fiji - I'll support the underdog unless/until a style of play appeals to me during the match.

Last edited:
Bizarrely of the tier 1 teams it might be England.

Obviously would love to see a team like Chile or someone to well, but in terms of teams it wouldn't wound me to see do well it's the dirty English

Bizarrely of the tier 1 teams it might be England.

Obviously would love to see a team like Chile or someone to well, but in terms of teams it wouldn't wound me to see do well it's the dirty English
Go die

France and it's not close.

Italy to overachieve which might be conflicting.

I hope the Argies do well because they've improved hugely over the years. Also, because the demand for England tickets was overwhelming, we bought tickets for the Argies' group matches knowing that we'd see the England game.

South Africa for my heritage but I really do want an NH winner so will feel quite conflicted come any of those match ups!

I'm Irish, so they're my first team. Excluding them, we have too much history with Argentina, so I can't really support them. That leaves Fiji as the outside team that might go far, and let's face it, their away kit is the coolest in the competition!

Geez that's bad. I might switch to the Boks as my second team. At least they look like they will jump off a ferry or go dwarf bowling.

2nd team for me is between Scotland and Argentina I suppose but I don't feel strongly about it. Bit of an underdog both of those. Of course I wouldn't be rooting for our Scottish rugby colony at our own expense so I suppose I am hoping Ireland don't make it out of the pool.

But if it can't be us it might as well be anyone just please not NZ or France.

Take back what I said about Ireland, I want them to go out in the groups
Take back what I said about Ireland, I want them to go out in the groups

Poor JGB, showing the sacrifices project players sometimes have to make in order to fit in. We all know its more tradiitional for a kiwi scrum half to share the clap in the departure lounge.

Latest posts