• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The General RWC 2023 draw discussion thread

I mean, while I think Ireland will beat Scotland comfortably, it's still within the realms of possibility that Ireland don't get out the group

That would be, by far, the most bants outcome

What about Finn Russell ******* up the score to put it out of LBP range with the clock in the red?

Yeah yeah, have you thought about the possibility that Sexton and half of your first team get injured in the NZ qtr final win and then, in our semi final, you get 5 red cards in the first 10 mins and Nigel Owens being brought in as last minute cover to officiate the game? Didn't think you had. I'll let you ponder that one when you go to sleep tonight boyo. Nos da.
Yes
Feel like the officiating definitely might go against us. We're the most disciplined side in the world when it comes to headshots and it's definitely been an advantage for us, absolutely nullified this tournament with anything going.

I mean, while I think Ireland will beat Scotland comfortably, it's still within the realms of possibility that Ireland don't get out the group

That would be, by far, the most bants outcome
What about Finn Russell ******* up the score to put it out of LBP range with the clock in the red?
Finn Russell would have to beat Johnny Sexton for the first time in his career on his last chance and fairytales like that just don't happen to ugly Scottish people.

Just incidentally, you can currently win a stay at Shreks swamp. This may be of interest to some.

So we're looking like having QFs of:

France v South Africa, the winners will play the winners of England v Fiji in the semis

New Zealand v Ireland, the winners will play the winners of Wales v Argentina in the semis.

Four days until the next game. WTF WR? What the hell am I going to do at work this week!?! 🤓😀🏉🏉

So we're looking like having QFs of:

France v South Africa, the winners will play the winners of England v Fiji in the semis

New Zealand v Ireland, the winners will play the winners of Wales v Argentina in the semis.
I'm glad the strong half of the draw has worked out this way for the QFs.

I think the French pack will compete much better against the Boks than NZ would (especially interesting if SA go with conservative tactics/selection which will let the average French defence off the hook).

I think the NZ backs will pose a bigger threat to the superb Irish defence than the French ones would.

Flip those fixtures around and I think you would be looking at routine wins for Ireland and South Africa whereas I only make them about 70% favourites and probably by just 10-20 points.

England's route to the semifinal is lamentable. I fully expect a comfortable win against a Muntzless Fiji.

I've not fully given up on Argentina, but not far off it. I think they are almost as likely to lose to Japan as they are to beat Wales.

Two meh QFs coming up (might be exciting but low quality) and two absolute stonkers, which really ought to be the semis.

Always have mixed feelings about the group stage. Some games are interesting in themselves like Georgia v Portugal but too many mismatches and too few games that had any real bearing on Bill's lodgings for the next 4 years. Gloomsters and doomsters aside, most people could have predicted 7 of the QF teams with their eyes shut and at least half would have predicted Fij over Aus anyhow. In many ways largely a phoney war, but now the serious stuff begins. Roll on!

Two meh QFs coming up (might be exciting but low quality) and two absolute stonkers, which really ought to be the semis.

Always have mixed feelings about the group stage. Some games are interesting in themselves like Georgia v Portugal but too many mismatches and too few games that had any real bearing on Bill's lodgings for the next 4 years. Gloomsters and doomsters aside, most people could have predicted 7 of the QF teams with their eyes shut and at least half would have predicted Fij over Aus anyhow. In many ways largely a phoney war, but now the serious stuff begins. Roll on!
Noone predicted Aus crashing out of the group stage!

Just about every prediction was for Aus to go through with one of the other 2.

Ps I'll take Fiji v Portugal in a blinder all day over France v SA in a dead rubber.

I'd even argue, outside of Ireland v SA group C has single handedly saved this RWC so far. Fijis heroic resurgence v Wales, Portugal getting a draw v Georgia, Aus crashing out, Portugal heroically getting their first ever win.

I also found the pool stage this year particularly dull. Even France v NZ which I was really looking forward to turned out to be disappointing kick fest.

Particularly looking forward to these QF matches. Need something to distract from the horrors and what is likely to happen in Gaza.

France without Duponte and Ntamack being seriously underestimated. No surprise that, simultaneously, Irish and SA fans already saying if they lose they will be robbed (how Trump-esque).

Jalibert is turning into a world class playmaker and game manager before our eyes. I predict him to be key and to outplay Pollard/Libbok with Ramos' boot edging them over line. But sure, it'll definitely be the refs who win it for France /s.

France without Duponte and Ntamack being seriously underestimated. No surprise that, simultaneously, Irish and SA fans already saying if they lose they will be robbed (how Trump-esque).

Jalibert is turning into a world class playmaker and game manager before our eyes. I predict him to be key and to outplay Pollard/Libbok with Ramos' boot edging them over line. But sure, it'll definitely be the refs who win it for France /s.
Underestimated? Seems to me like most people back France to win lol.

I'm looking forward to this one!

Underestimated? Seems to me like most people back France to win lol.

I'm looking forward to this one!
It should be an epic match.

Neutral opinion is split three ways but Irish and Bok fans especially are very very confident about their team's chances. Admittedly it's the casuals who are writing France off completely but even those who know their rugby are talking themselves into an overly positive mood because of Ntamack and Duponte's injuries.

What gives with those world rankings? Are they decided by Beauden Parrot as well?
-Australia are up a place, I guess because they've realised Eddie Jones is shouting at the sky, and will swap him for a proper coach after the world cup. -Fiji down two places to below Australia, because they upset the odds when Bill Beaumont had a bet with Macron that they'd go out in the groups.
-And Spain have gone up a place by watching one of the Ireland games in a bar in Seville.

Latest posts