Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Warmups are all over, get your hot takes ready for bragging rights post-RWC

"I always knew Chile were going to win, go check the predictions thread!"

My prediction: South Africa vs Ireland final, with South Africa lifting the trophy

Think SAs pack are just too OP to look past them, and then when their world class starters go off they bring on an equally world class second set

Libbok's kicking is their weakness, if they can be dragged into a slugfest in the knockouts, but Pollard will be called up by the end of the groups one way or another (laxatives in one of the scrumhalves breakfast)

France v SA final 😢, both teams finishing second in their groups to NZ and Ire - France to win. It could be any of the top 4 though but I feel like NZ have a lower peak performance to the other three and Ireland have worse depth so both are more likely to come unstuck.

Argentina and Australia to be the losers of the worst world cup semi finals ever.

Fiji and England to round out the quarters.

I reckon either 5 or more Parisian girls will reject me, or absolutely zero but in that case it'll be because I've spent my time talking to 50year old rugby fans with beer bellies instead.

Before today I always thought top 4 would be France, Boks, Ireland and NZ. All about putting markers down before September 8th and Boks on Friday and France made their big statements today. I hope France do it rather than a Bok back to back.

Pool c to have 4 teams on a mathematically impossible tie breaker.

Pool D gets cancelled.

Top 4 all advance. England upsets whoever in semi-final but then loses to whoever by 60 in the final.

Before today I always thought top 4 would be France, Boks, Ireland and NZ. All about putting markers down before September 8th and Boks on Friday and France made their big statements today. I hope France do it rather than a Bok back to back.
Did France make a statement today? Beat an Oz side who haven't won a game yet this year by less than Ireland beat England.

I feel like SA needed their win because they haven't had a big win since beating NZ in the TRC last year but the rest of the top 4 seemed to be trending reasonably well into the tournament. I do think Friday will rock NZ for whenever they meet an intense and physical pack and an aggressive defence (so either Ireland or SA again).

Did France make a statement today? Beat an Oz side who haven't won a game yet this year by less than Ireland beat England.
They are still at home. Get the momentum going they could be unstoppable.
I feel like SA needed their win because they haven't had a big win since beating NZ in the TRC last year but the rest of the top 4 seemed to be trending reasonably well into the tournament. I do think Friday will rock NZ for whenever they meet an intense and physical pack and an aggressive defence (so either Ireland or SA again).
Ireland still have to get past that QF stage to be considered proper contenders. Looking forward to that game v the Boks to decide who plays France/NZ. Let's not forget Scotland though they have played well in the warm ups.

France v SA final 😢, both teams finishing second in their groups to NZ and Ire - France to win. It could be any of the top 4 though but I feel like NZ have a lower peak performance to the other three and Ireland have worse depth so both are more likely to come unstuck.

Argentina and Australia to be the losers of the worst world cup semi finals ever.

Fiji and England to round out the quarters.

I reckon either 5 or more Parisian girls will reject me, or absolutely zero but in that case it'll be because I've spent my time talking to 50year old rugby fans with beer bellies instead.
You'll have no problems in my head you're a weird mash up of Liam Neeson, Mrs Brown and Bono. Us English love that stuff, we'll lap it up.

They are still at home. Get the momentum going they could be unstoppable.
I agree, they're my winners just didn't really get your logic re making a statement today. I feel like SA needed the big performance whereas Ireland and France didn't based on the last 18 months or so.

NZ, I'm totally clueless to, like I think they could bounce back and beat France in a nervy game with something to prove but a bit like us going into Japan there's a clear roadmap to beat them.
Ireland still have to get past that QF stage to be considered proper contenders. Looking forward to that game v the Boks to decide who plays France/NZ. Let's not forget Scotland though they have played well in the warm ups.
Yeah, you're going to have to win a QF to contend that's a given and you're contenders until you're not and chokers until you're not if that makes sense! I think if we meet France in the QFs we're busy but I'd fancy NZ.

I think Scotland have been done so dirty by the draw, like whatever about Ireland's QF hoodoo, Scotland have to beat a team that they've lost either 7 or 8 matches on the bounce to to qualify. Like Ireland know they can beat France or NZ come QF time, Scotland don't know if they can beat South Africa or Ireland and it's a huge mental hurdle very few are talking about when branding dark horses imo.

France vs. South Africa final.

Dunno who wins, if Manie Libbok has a good 'un, I'd favour South Africa.

But France just need one or two loose kicks and they can quickly make your day turn very sour.

The trouble with the last set of warmup games is that many teams are not playing at 100% in fera of getting injuries too close to the start. Not always a good idea of form

Can't have Ireland unfortunately. The Saffas and France will come looking for them up front and i'm not sure they'll have the answers. I know they've beaten both recently but i expect the intensity to be a little higher at the World Cup. I put NZ in the same bracket, as in they mightn't be able to compete up front to the level required. Unlike Ireland though they do have pedigree at World Cups, that could see them sneak a game they should lose.

France are the most likely winner for me. They have incredible depth and the crowd will ensure they get the rub with every referee. I'd go as far as to say it's hard to see passed them. South Africa best of the rest.

I just can't help remembering the opening game of the last world cup France hosted when they were beaten by Argentina

South Africa to top our group, Ireland to win the final.

Latest posts