• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

I disagree, the saffas are only claiming England were a top quality team after struggling to beat them. Prior to the game all the talk was that England shouldn't even bother turning up. Revisionism is the word here I believe.
And conversely, why are we disparaging argentina? They lost to England by one kick, and had beaten nz twice in the last two years, what kind of convenient revisionism concludes that argie are an easy beat just because nz was so good that we put 40+ points on them?

NZ and SA both played against France and Ireland, so again, how was it harder for them than nz?

I think you've accepted the unjustified SA claims far to easily and without a critical eye.

Finally SA played Scotland who are ranked higher than Italy by a few places, but again, SA squeaked past by 7 points with their full strength team, while nz annihilated Italy with just our reserves. And this was an Italy that came into the game with good confidence and expectations. We destroyed them so bad that rugby was put back in Italy by five years.

And somehow again the revisionist SAs conflate exceptional NZ performances with sub par opposition, while their butchered efforts to beat misfiring teams and short staffed teams are viewed as proof of their greatness.

It's these delusions that make the SAs a special lot.
Good read. I think this really sums up the difference and why NZ didn't win.

So much overanalysis, or underanalysis, depending on how you look at it. Let's just say poor analysis.

If you want to make up some romantic story about why the boks won, fine, they won so they deserve the win and the story - that's the implicit promise sportspeople and fans give to each other. But don't pretend you have the reasons why they won. Three one point wins. Tiny sample size of close results. Tiny changes could have meant different outcomes.

But worse, much worse, is analysing why other teams deserved to have beaten the springboks. Your sample size is zero. And you are breaking the promise that the winner deserves credit for the win.

Anyway what a legendary team. Two world cups and a lions tour.

Ever since the final whistle, it's been nothing but complaining, crying, and conspiracy theories. The fact that NZRU is now filing an official complaint makes it even worse.

Missing a conversion and a penalty, choosing to kick for the corner instead of points, a justified red card and yellow card, are the reason they lost.

They had their chances to win it. They couldn't. I don't remember any other nation complaining this much after a lost final.

Yet no one brings up the knock on by Tele'a leading up to Barrett's try. Or that Frizzell's actions that cost him 10 minutes, cost the Springboks their hooker for 78 minutes. Stuff like that happens. It's a game of millimeters. You win some, you lose some.

And don't even get me started on the death threats addressed to Wayne Barnes, that his wife has received. I respect the All Blacks, because they always are gracious and respectful no matter the outcome. That bubble has now burst. That's no longer the case. I know there are fans who are level-headed but more so than ever, those are the overwhelming minority this time. I understand getting emotional over this as a fan, but the discourse online and in the media has been embarrassing.

On Cane's red card: This is all the result of Super Rugby being too lenient for the sake of entertainment. That mindset carries over to test rugby for players and then all of a sudden they're confronted with stricter officiating. That doesn't make the officiating the problem.

FWIW: The **** Rassie Erasmus pulled in previous years is just as embarrassing. I don't have time for that childish behaviour either. Rugby is supposed to be different. The fanbase as a whole is supposed to be unified, and gracious. That's just not the case this time around.

It's sad that this is how the tournament is being talked about afterwards.
People on this forum telling us we should be ashamed of celebrating. It's disgusting. Finding any and every chance to discredit our coach, our ethics, our players, our effort. We have morphed into Football in one World Cup. The worst part is, the pundits just added fuel to the fire. It's been next level toxic.

People on this forum telling us we should be ashamed of celebrating. It's disgusting. Finding any and every chance to discredit our coach, our ethics, our players, our effort. We have morphed into Football in one World Cup. The worst part is, the pundits just added fuel to the fire. It's been next level toxic.
Let's be clear here. It is NOT the people of this forum. It is some new joiner trolls which always happens during a World Cup. It is not the people of this forum which we have been interacting with for the past 4 years, and there is no need to make a blanket statement like that. It was the same in the France game thread. You were going head to head with a new joiner of the forum who didn't have any other outlet to vent their emotions/frustration of losing the World Cup.

Most of the actual posters of this forum have been complimentary of the performance of the Springboks and the team throughout the WC. Don't let the bad apples get to you. Man, we have so much to enjoy at the moment watching all the scenes playing out in SA and watching the bus tour from today. If you need something to cheer you up. Just go watch the Instagram stories of Damian Willemse.

Let's be clear here. It is NOT the people of this forum. It is some new joiner trolls which always happens during a World Cup. It is not the people of this forum which we have been interacting with for the past 4 years, and there is no need to make a blanket statement like that. It was the same in the France game thread. You were going head to head with a new joiner of the forum who didn't have any other outlet to vent their emotions/frustration of losing the World Cup.

Most of the actual posters of this forum have been complimentary of the performance of the Springboks and the team throughout the WC. Don't let the bad apples get to you. Man, we have so much to enjoy at the moment watching all the scenes playing out in SA and watching the bus tour from today. If you need something to cheer you up. Just go watch the Instagram stories of Damian Willemse.
Apologies just meant to use it as an example. Didn't really word it properly. Not paint a brush on the forum.

It is now Thursday... Kolbe still hasn't taken off his strapping and Willemse is still in the kit:
View attachment 18338View attachment 18339
Think the hangovers might make him feel like he won't be able to get the jersey off over his head?

Just hope our Stormers boys come back focused. Big job still needs doing reclaiming our ***le from Munster.

Think the hangovers might make him feel like he won't be able to get the jersey off over his head?

Just hope our Stormers boys come back focused. Big job still needs doing reclaiming our ***le from Munster.

Wait, why are the first 3 letters of the word "Title" censored?

Congratulations again to South Africa. It was a good ol' fashioned Slobberknocker! 🏆 Enjoy your victory tour.

*Anyone know who does that song in the clip below and what it's called?

Last edited:
Congratulations again to South Africa. It was a good ol' fashioned Slobberknocker! 🏆 Enjoy your victory tour.

*Anyone know who does that song in the clip below and what it's called?

Close Eyes Tik Tok Special by Victor Miguel

According to Shazam

Latest posts