• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Biggest RWC dissapointments. .

dirty harry

First XV
Chatting in a thread about disappointing performances, I find it fascinating what people call disappointing.

So thought I'd start a thread to discuss...

Australia, obviously rank 1st in dissapointments, but who takes the rest of the top 5 teams who have disappointed...

Go

Well Italy and Scotland have to be right up there. I mean, no-one had either team as favourites to qualify out of their groups but a decent fight when it mattered most would've been a pre-requisite.
I feel like that's harsh, I know people were hoping they would be competitive, but noone expected them to really stand a chance.

I think 3rd in their group is bang on what their odds were saying would happen.

I'd probably say Georgia were worse than both, not only did they not be competitive against the bigger teams, they drew the game they were expected to win.

I'd also consider the loser of the Japan v Argentina game worse than Scot and Italy too, both would be really positive about their chances of qualification

I feel like that's harsh, I know people were hoping they would be competitive, but noone expected them to really stand a chance.

I think 3rd in their group is bang on what their odds were saying would happen.

I'd probably say Georgia were worse than both, not only did they not be competitive against the bigger teams, they drew the game they were expected to win.

I'd also consider the loser of the Japan v Argentina game worse than Scot and Italy too, both would be really positive about their chances of qualification
It's all subjective I guess… I just know that I personally felt massively let down by our 6 nation brethren-in-blue.

It's all subjective I guess… I just know that I personally felt massively let down by our 6 nation brethren-in-blue.
I definately share your emotions, I'd have loved Scotland and Ireland to have qualified!!!

On the plus side, when SA definately, but definately dont join the 6N we can cheer for them...

Biggest disappointment is easy.

The players aren't walking out to *this*

Maybe they're saving it for the final. If it were France v Ireland the place would be f**king bouncing before a foot was ever laid on the pitch*.

*In a few years, the South African contingent will get it too (unless EPRC manage to f**k that up too).

If Argentina fail to qualify from Group D, then it'd probably be them actually.

Seeing England win all their games has to be the biggest disappointment really but other than that I find it hard to be too critical of your established tier 2 teams given the conditions they work in compared to the big boys. It's why I have to look at Italy and think they've got to be the most disappointing not in terms of where they finished but the performances.

A slightly more spicy take but could you make an argument for Fiji? I think you could but end of the day they're in a qtr final but if they limp out against England I'll be disappointed in them.

Easy, the dreadful overall standard of refereeing.
For me, "disappointment" means a performance significantly less than I was expecting.
So yes, the refereeing has been abysmal, especially from the likes of Carley and Dickson - but that's not really a disappointment, more a case of reality matching expectations.

Of course, opinions may vary.

Australia.

Italy.

BBC about Italy:

"They were not favourites to overcome New Zealand or France in their remaining Pool A games, but their campaign fell away spectacularly as a thumping 96-17 defeat by the All Blacks was followed by a 53-point deficit against the hosts."

My 5 go:

Australia
Georgia
New Zealand
South Africa
Tonga

That's of the group stages obviously, if NZ and SA go further of course they'll be taken off the list.

My reasoning, SA AND NZ both would have expected to win their groups, and they didnt.

My 5 go:

Australia
Georgia
New Zealand
South Africa
Tonga

That's of the group stages obviously, if NZ and SA go further of course they'll be taken off the list.

My reasoning, SA AND NZ both would have expected to win their groups, and they didnt.

New Zealand were not expected to win their group.....

And South Africa vs. Ireland was a coinflip pretty much. And the game showed that. Do you actually watch the games or just base everything off results and not the actual performance?

Hve you ever spoken to a South African or Kiwi? Expecting to lose isnt in their vocabulary!

New Zealand dont win for 100 years and then become all pragmatic, they literally have in their plan to win every match.

if we take NZ's group win rate at previous RWC's, which is 100%. And compare it to this RWC which is 75%. I think you will find that is significantly disappointing.

But hey, let's look at performance, in their first ever loss in the group stage at the RWC they were outplayed, beaten up front and were never really in the game to win it. It was a comprehensive win for France, which probably is in line with where this NZ team is, but still incredibly disappointing for all but French fans.
New Zealand were not expected to win their group.....

And South Africa vs. Ireland was a coinflip pretty much. And the game showed that. Do you actually watch the games or just base everything off results and not the actual performance?

Biggest disappointment is easy.

The players aren't walking out to *this*

Maybe they're saving it for the final. If it were France v Ireland the place would be f**king bouncing before a foot was ever laid on the pitch*.

*In a few years, the South African contingent will get it too (unless EPRC manage to f**k that up too).

Absolutely epic. Blows "World in Union" out of the freaking water.

NZ losing to France and then Ireland in the QF has definitely been expected by most realistic AB fans for a while now.

I'm more disappointed in the overall lack of quality, drama and excitement compared to previous editions. The top 3 teams have been good but the rest (apart from Portugal and Uruguay a bit) have really failed to impress. Drama wise, Fiji have delivered, but they've massively underperformed in the process.

The group stage has been too long and drawn out with lots of thumb twiddling midweek. Waiting for the QFs has been like having three hours of foreplay when you just want to get down to business after 30 mins tops.

Seeing England win all their games has to be the biggest disappointment really but other than that I find it hard to be too critical of your established tier 2 teams given the conditions they work in compared to the big boys. It's why I have to look at Italy and think they've got to be the most disappointing not in terms of where they finished but the performances.

A slightly more spicy take but could you make an argument for Fiji? I think you could but end of the day they're in a qtr final but if they limp out against England I'll be disappointed in them
or might yet another tedious, unimaginative ABE post be up there, predictable, but still disappointing

Latest posts