• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Set plays

P

Padz

hey all,

sorry if this has been covered b4, but what does "pivot and classic" set plays do in the game? I know set play "pocket", which drops ur fly half back behind the pack for a kick. Also, how do u always execute a set play? sometimes i press the arror keys and nothing happens.

Anyone know a site which can show me some set plays for rugby?

Originally posted by Padz@Mar 9 2005, 08:30 PM
Anyone know a site which can show me some set plays for rugby?
Yes.....I too would like to know about what happens with players on each set play.

Rugby 2001 had a downloadable page with diagrams on the set plays.

there are 4 set Plays to choose from. Pivot, Pocket, Classic and Dummy Switch. Classic is basically that, your backs are lined up either left or right with your pack on the opposite side, no real play just straight out passes. I have had a bit of luck with the dummy plays. You need to let your flyhalf run with teh ball for a bit. run slightly across the field and after a while you will see button icons appear above you backs heads. Hit the corresponding button to (switch/crash) with that back. The main thing I have noticed with this game is plays and moves (hand off, shoulder charge) take longer than you initally think they should. don't pass the ball out quite so fast to let the plays develop. I would love a site with detailed plays and how they are run as well.

Thank you Morfious and welcome. I haven't got the game yet but info like this will help prepare me for the NZ blitz on gaming stores March the 17th followed by the rush to develop playing skills which is going to be intense over here.

Well after watching replays of the Pivot Play I understand what is happening. The main key to pulling off any successful set play is to make sure the icon above your scrumhalf's head is solid green. Without that nothing will happen. Now the pivot play in detail (where is my chalkboard . . . ?) Assume a green icon above scrumhalf's head and backs aligned to the right side.

1) Hit B / (Circle) to pass the ball out the the flyhalf and icons show up above everyones head.
2) Hit the corresponding button of the player that you want to finally end up with the ball.
(At this point the computer is controlling the action, so just let it do its thing for now. )
3) The Flyhalf passes the ball to the inside Center.
4) The Inside Center passes the ball back to the flyhalf (sorta like a loop, but not quite).
5) Now the Fly half will pass the ball to whatever button you pressed earlier.

So it's basically a 1 Loop 2 and the button you press determines who will end up with teh ball. I hope that makes sense to you guys. Now I'm off to find out how the dummy switch works.

thanks for the explaination mate, oh yeh can u also find what does classic do while ur at it
<

Originally posted by Morfious@Mar 12 2005, 09:05 PM
Well after watching replays of the Pivot Play I understand what is happening. The main key to pulling off any successful set play is to make sure the icon above your scrumhalf's head is solid green. Without that nothing will happen. Now the pivot play in detail (where is my chalkboard . . . ?) Assume a green icon above scrumhalf's head and backs aligned to the right side.

1) Hit B / (Circle) to pass the ball out the the flyhalf and icons show up above everyones head.
2) Hit the corresponding button of the player that you want to finally end up with the ball.
(At this point the computer is controlling the action, so just let it do its thing for now. )
3) The Flyhalf passes the ball to the inside Center.
4) The Inside Center passes the ball back to the flyhalf (sorta like a loop, but not quite).
5) Now the Fly half will pass the ball to whatever button you pressed earlier.

So it's basically a 1 Loop 2 and the button you press determines who will end up with teh ball. I hope that makes sense to you guys. Now I'm off to find out how the dummy switch works.
Great work Morfious. You have shared more meaningful info in your few posts than most of us do in a month. Are you playing this game 24/7 or something?

Yep, done that Pivot move in real life. If the inside centre is running an angled run inside the defence often thought it was crash ball back in. Then when they saw the pass go inside they definitely thought it was an inside play.

Pity you can't choose who to pass to when the first five recieves it for the SECOND time. This would have been more decisive.

Originally posted by Morfious@Mar 12 2005, 12:50 PM
Classic is basically that, your backs are lined up either left or right with your pack on the opposite side, no real play just straight out passes.
actually its a flat ball to your backs for a gap
<

Yep....but I mainly know touch moves as I only played rugby and rugby league socially.

Well after some more playing and watching replays I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the classic play set does as well. Note this is not Straight passes as I thought before, it's actually 3 different plays depending on what button you press. I have the xbox version so all buttons are based on that. You have to hit the corresponding players button rather quickly, so think of what you want to do beforehand.

Classic Set Play:

Y - Flyhalf chip and chase F(lyhalf kicks a chip kick down the field) [aim with L thumb stick]
X - Switch with inside center (1-2 switch)
B - Skip pass to Outside center (1-skip 2) Not sure if FB come in on this play or not forgot to check

Now I'm done someone else can figure out dummy switch. Although I think this one works just as it sounds you pick the player you actually want to switch with and the computer dummies everyone before that. Not tested though.

Latest posts