Sharks re-sign Frederick Michalak

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
The Sharks have re-signed former French international Frederic Michalak with immediate effect who was art of the team that won the Currie Cup in 2008.

Frederic_Michalak2.jpg

Having played for Toulouse since 1998 (at the age of 16) and enjoyed Top 14 and Heineken Cup action, together with over 50 matches for France, the 28 year old comes with a wealth of experience.

Michalak signed with The Sharks for the Super 14 in 2008.

The Sharks who had previously signed former French internationals Thierry Lacroix and Olivier Roumat saw him as a key player in the Currie Cup campaign.

Michalak made his Super 14 debut against the Stormers and went on to feature in nine games before being a part of The Sharks successful Currie Cup campaign later that year. He ended his spell with The Sharks after the victorious Currie Cup Final when he re-signed with his former club Toulouse for the start of the French 2008-09 season.

"It is no surprise that I am here again," said Michalak.

"I loved my year that I spent in Durban and the cherry on the top was definitely winning the Currie Cup trophy."

"Unlike the first time when I signed for The Sharks, there won't be a problem in terms of any language barrier and being able to slot in with old team mates is definitely a plus factor for me," he added.

"In the event of injuries, or a depletion of depth due to call-ups to the national squad, a player of his character will provide The Sharks with an unpredictability and freshness, said Sharks (Pty) Ltd CEO Brian van Zyl.

"He will complement our style of play, is a good influence on the players around him on the field, and we welcome him back to our squad."

Coach John Plumtree added that, "It is great to have him back and be available to us for selection from this weekend. His arrival could not have been timed better."

source: superxv.com

Well, if he is there now, (signed the contract) he can play. I really hope he does

I think I remember reading a while back he was thinking about it and he enjoyed his time there before.

He won the Currie Cup in 2008. Joubert and Michalak... Nice additions to the backline. Now we need Brent Russell and we are ready for the play offs

Frederic Michalak on his day is a world beater. Hopefully he will discover his form at the Sharks. Any news on what position he's been signed to fill?

Scrum half, since we lost Conrad Hoffmann with an elbow injury and have only Knock-on McLeod left. For the fly-half position, we have Lambie, Bosman and Potgieter (in that order for me)

I really like the guy ...Defensively a matador but on the attack is a live wire ...

Aye shame, gutted to be honest was hoping to see him again throwing some audacious passes and cutting some angles.

Great news!
Despite his defencive errors, he is no doubt less of a liability than Charl McLeod.

Is Joubert ready to play this weekend?

Scrum half, since we lost Conrad Hoffmann with an elbow injury and have only Knock-on McLeod left. For the fly-half position, we have Lambie, Bosman and Potgieter (in that order for me)

That's funny, because one of the reasons he left Toulouse for is that he wanted to play 10 and they wanted him to play SH...

What a pity for JL Potgieter. Guy was on Morne Steyns heels for the 10 jumper 3 years ago, now the forgotten man of South African rugby. Has had almost no game time at the Bulls and Sharks since he left the Cheetahs.

The Sharks continue to destroy our talent pool

What a pity for JL Potgieter. Guy was on Morne Steyns heels for the 10 jumper 3 years ago, now the forgotten man of South African rugby. Has had almost no game time at the Bulls and Sharks since he left the Cheetahs.

The Sharks continue to destroy our talent pool

Blimey you need to get a grip!

Considering that Lambie will in all likelyhood be off to the World Cup, I think we could see Michalak at 10 during the Tri-Nations and World Cup, unless Potgeiter has a sudden turn-around in form.

Class signing, he really looked like he enjoyed his time year in 2008, always played with a smile in the CC :)

JLP might very well still get his time at 10 with Lambie hopefully getting some time in a Bok jersey if Michalak will be playing at 9 and/or doing bench duty. It remains to be seen though but with the signing happening just after Hoffmann's injury and the depth of cover for the 10 jersey it certainly looks like the likely route the Sharks will take.

Blimey you need to get a grip!

Considering that Lambie will in all likelyhood be off to the World Cup, I think we could see Michalak at 10 during the Tri-Nations and World Cup, unless Potgeiter has a sudden turn-around in form.

Class signing, he really looked like he enjoyed his time year in 2008, always played with a smile in the CC :)

Potgieter has not had a chance to play or build any form. He will be benched and Michelak will start. Unlike Europeans, I believe its better to field our own than import. I also dont think its good for South African rugby. That comes first.

Do you even really give a ****? You are from Scotland after all. Your genuine concern or pretentious interest is quite obvious.

The Sharks imported a Frenchman at the expense of a local player. A good player who almost played his way into a Bok jersey. He was poached off the back of that form and left to wither away on the sidelines. Instead of giving a very good and capable player a chance to regain some form, they bring in a Frenchman.

And you see no problems with this? Ill get a grip when you get a clue

JLP might very well still get his time at 10 with Lambie hopefully getting some time in a Bok jersey if Michalak will be playing at 9 and/or doing bench duty. It remains to be seen though but with the signing happening just after Hoffmann's injury and the depth of cover for the 10 jersey it certainly looks like the likely route the Sharks will take.

They will start Michelak. There is no doubt about it.

It would have been the perfect time to start blooding another youngster or bringing one of the boys through the academy. Never a thought for tomorrow at the Sharks and what a pity that is

Last edited by a moderator:
He's going at 20 against the Cheetas, JLP is 21.
Michalak was supposed to be on the bench in the TOP 14 final after Skrela's injury, but I guess he got better.

Latest posts