• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks vs Force

M

munross

Heard it on the radio and I'm out on work now so I don't have the full details to post, but that is some thumping!
Steve-o what happend?lol

Apparently they played a mix and match side of veterans and new guys, against the Forces A team, but the Force obliterated the Sharks pack (who are chock full of Springboks I might add), so that's very worrisome.

I dunno, I hope Plumtree got what he needed from this match, interested to see how things go against the Stormers and the Sharks.

Here is the details

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Australia's Western Force defeated the Sharks 26-0 in the second Neo Africa Tri-Series match at Newlands on Tuesday evening after leading 19-0 at halftime.

The Sharks took the initiative at the outset but their early efforts were spoilt because the ball carrier was often isolated and a few of their speculative passes went astray.

The Aussie visitors on the other hand were committed to defence with solid first-time tackling and once they saw off the opposition's opening flurry they gradually imposed themselves on the match.

The Sharks did not do their cause any good by trying the run the way out of trouble while their poorly upfield kicks gave the Western Force ample counter-attacking options.

Prop Sam Sykes opened the scoring with a try at the corner flag in the seventh minute and 13 minutes later centre Ryan Cross burst past some sloppy defensive work to score next to the posts.

The visitor's flyhalf Andre Pretorius converted the second try to secure his side a 12-0 lead.

The Force were fielding a far stronger combination than the one, which were thrashed by the Stormers at the same venue last Saturday and they looked a far more composed unit on the field although the Sharks had started out with a number of first-choices on the reserves' bench.

Pretorius was a central figure in the Force build-up sorties and he had a hand in the side's third try ahead of the break. Pretorius added the conversion from the touchline (19-0).

After the break the Sharks side showed 11 changes with many of their 'big guns' being thrown into the fray.

They were unable to make their presence felt at once but once they got into the swing of things the Force never managed to break out of their half of the field.

But the Sharks also could not find their way past the Force's stubborn defence and 20 minutes into the second half the men from Durban had nothing to show for their efforts, despite the one-sided play after the break.

Three times during this passage of time the Sharks were halted less than a metre from Force's tryline.

Their failure to make a breakthrough seemed to have a disruptive effect and as play wound towards the close they looked more-and-more disjointed.

This simplified matters for the Force who were able to transfer play up to the Sharks' 22-metre area, and just when it looked like they would fail to add to their first-half tally, fullback-back James O'Connor streaked past the Sharks defence for his side's solitary second-half try.

He added the conversion to round off his side's 26-0 triumph.

Final Score Sharks 0 Western Force 26

Scorers

Western Force:
Tries; Sam Wykes, Ryan Cross, Cameron Shepherd James O'Connor.
Conversions; Andre Pretorius (2) J O'Connor.
Sharks
Tries -
Penalty -
Conversion -[/b]
Source

Kak scoreline. We used 28 players in one game so not a huge shock but failing so badly to not score a point? Very disappointing. I didn't see the game so i'll reserve judge but the fact that we had Lambie at flyhalf towards the end of the game doesn't bode well. Pienaar needs to come back ASAP, anyone is better than Monty Dumond..

I wasn't going to say anything without having seen the game, but yeah, even with a B team the Sharks should have put -some- points on the board, hope they get their crap together.

These types of games are difficult in that one cannot read anything into it. I think after the game against the Stormers the picture should be clearer. Stormers are fielding pretty much our A side with some guys not yet fully healed. In the Stormers game, it was also a different affair when the Forces big guns came out but we still won the second half 12-7 although momentum was with us, I guess.

Does anybody know if we can expect a full-strength Sharks line-up? Injuries excluded of course.