• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should substitutions be banned.

I can only see it increasing injury risk. Tired muscles are more likely to get injured and tired players are more likely to tackle high and loose.
That was my instinctive reaction the first time I heard about this but after talking to people who know more about this than I do I am not sure anymore.
Hard to tell. You would have several things going on, most of them moving the needle in different directions. Would players get exhausted or would they pace themselves a bit more?
Two very tired players going at each other vs a fresh one vs a tired one: which scenario has a higher chance of injury?

I don't mind tactical changes and naturally, I am not against substituting injured players. I dont particularly like the idea of making changes to introduce someone who only brings fresh legs to the table, but it is just a personal preference.

I can only see it increasing injury risk. Tired muscles are more likely to get injured and tired players are more likely to tackle high and loose.
Not sure I agree with that. If you are tired after 60 minutes and some massive lump comes on and smashes into you it's going to hurt more than another player who had already done 60 minutes.

Also if players knew they had to more likely play a full 80 you would probably see players looking more athletic and less bulky, watch the Lions 97 games as an example of what players looked like before tactical subs.

Big lumpy players coming on after 50 minutes and smashing into everyone isn't going to decrease to risk of injury.

This comes to mind

Not to mention years worth of everyone running a book on when Wasps would suffer a front row "injury" and have to go uncontested with 3 flankers and 1 prop.

Hence the suggested 10 day stand down for any "injured" player to make a full recovery.

The downside, of course, is players playing on when they really should go off with an injury, and aggravating it.

If we take out the welfare side of it. What is the effect on the game itself and how does it affect the spectical for the viewer?

I do like subs coming on and changing the game. And getting players gametime who are coming back from injury/need experience but arnt first choice or ready to be starters.

The welfare reasons are valid and im not discounting them but rather just looking for at from the point of view of the viewers.

Latest posts