• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Since when have you been watching Rugby?

i'm like you, been watching rugby since i can remember, i have vague memories of the 87 RWC.

I think RWC 1995 but can not remember it that well, the first time i showed a real big interest would have been RWC 1999 where i went to a few of the games.

Access to decent matches is key. My entire family followed rugby much more once my Dad stopped being tight and dished out for Skysports. Actually getting to watch our favourite teams was key before we started going to more games.

first ever live match was:

Harlequins vs Wasps at the Stoop.

can't remember which year, but it was amateurs and Rob Andrew was Wasps' fly half, David Pears 10 for Quins and Quins won. I believe there was a temporary stand in which I was sitting, so it was before they built the big new stand at the Stoop..

Been watching Wigan since 76/77. Even went to Featherstone, when we got relegated.

Jeff

Have played it all my life but only really started watching it consistently in the last 2 years, thanks to Sky!

My first match was at the RWC 95.

Do you remember Jonah Lomu....
[/b]
Ooooh yeah. I started to watch rugby a little before that, but the RWC 95 was my first great competition, and Jonah Lomu my god ^^

On the semi against the english team.. poor poor mike Catt.

first ever live match was:

Harlequins vs Wasps at the Stoop.

can't remember which year, but it was amateurs and Rob Andrew was Wasps' fly half, David Pears 10 for Quins and Quins won. I believe there was a temporary stand in which I was sitting, so it was before they built the big new stand at the Stoop..
[/b]

Funny that, my first match was Wasps against Quins, all be it in 1997 this time around at Loftus Road.

Was playing since 1996, but on general Hiatus at the moment due to professional ties (to unfit).

First memory is the French tour to NZ in 94, aged 12, but as my father was a fan I've probably seen a lot more before, although I can't remeber. Been watching as much games as possible ever since.

I started playing in 1969. Watched then very rarely some Super 8 films of french Rugby in our clubhouse.
In 1978 I started travelling to France and Britain to watch some 5 Nations matches.
A big thing were the IRFB cenntenary matches in 1986 British Lions vs South Africa and Rest of the World vs
South Africa.
On our tour to RWC 1991 we lived in the same hotel with the later Worldchampions, that was a great experience.
Today I watch international Rugby from my sofa. Thanks to the Internet, I am able to get a lot.

Probably 1976 has my earliest memories as a six year old under my fathers influence.

I am proud to say that I had taught my girl when she was about 3 that the team in black was our team and that we always win! :lol: She is now 6 and she always says when I watch the All Blacks "Thats our team daddy...eh daddy....the black one.....we always win". Really makes me proud to hear her so well trianed at a young age on what is really important :cheers:

I have to correct my post. It was Overseas XV vs Rest of the World. I uploaded some pictures in the gallery. :huh:

Hi, I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. And I can remember watching rugby since I was little (probably 6 years old). My dad was a huge Western Province and Springbok fan XD. So I followed in his footsteps hehe... I also have vague memories of RWC 87. Of course during that time South Africa was still in isolation and we couldn't participate.

I've been a rugby fanatic since my dad introduced me to a bunch of vhs tapes he recorded... :)

I am watching rugby since the world cup 2003. The first match I saw was New Zealand beating Italy 70:7. After I saw the All Blacks making the Haka, i got interested.

Watched League since 1993 My first game was Wigan vs St. Helens at knowsley road but Wigan won so i ended up supporting them. Botica and Tuigamala were fantastic.

Got into Union after the 1995 WC

My Dad has always been a big rugby fan, and his stories of being drunk in Cardiff after the 78 Grandslam are always fun to hear. My first real memory was Scott Gibbs dancing through the English defence in the 32 - 31 victory in Wembley. Remember the teachers in my primary letting us watch the opener to the '99 world cup (Wales v Argentina I think). Losing to Samoa, then Australia, French players crying out of delight after beating the All Blacks (remember that bit, just not much of the match itself) and the final being really boring. My first ever international was in like December (I think) in '99, when I wen;t to Wales v Canada. After that, I remember Shane scoring his first try in 2000 against Italy, kind of lost interest after that, and it picked up again in the 2003 WC. We were doing Rugby in a P.E. Lesson on the Monday after Wales lost to England in the quarter finals, so we were all copying Shane's juggling act before Stephen Jones's try. 2005 Grandslam was when I really started paying attention to Rugby, but didn;t start supporting a Club 'till I went to a couple of Cardiff Blues games at the start of to 06 - 07 season. When teh beat the Wasps was probably teh game that turned me into a Blues fan :D Great game that was. Have been to every Blues Home game, and one away game this season, so I'm obviously a devoted fan. :D
Think I've been to the most Wales games out of my mates, let's see, Wales v Canada 99, Wales v USA 2000, Wales v French Barbarians 2000 (first ever time they played a game under the closed roof), Wales v Italy 2004, Wales v France 2004, Wales v Romania 2004, Wales v Japan 2004, Wales v Argentina 2007, Wales v Japan RWC 2007. 9 in all, not bad for a 15 year old :p
Only started playing at the start of last season, we only managed 3 games at our club last season (players leaving and other teams canceling...), but have managed a few for my school, nearly all off the bench. It's strange, I've played my my favorite position (Wing) for every club game, but only once for the school, when we beat a touring Canadian Side 24 - 7. Have played Fullback for a French team called Faye Camp once. They were soooo rubbish...
Am stepping up to Youth next season, and are in National League Division BC. So the worst of the worst because we're really young for a Youth team.

Ive been playing for about 6 years now, hadn't watched it before so started watching abit of the world cup 2003, got into rugby seriously in about 2005 and followed the guinness prem season 05/06. Now i cant get enough rugby and watch nearly every game that is on T.V.

It is a big part of my life now lol

Latest posts