• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Six Nations Run metres

jcahill1

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Anyone know what's going on with the Six Nations run metres stats? Seem incredibly inflated in general.

In Eng v Sco

Top carriers were

Daly 86m in 12 carries, Avg 7.2m
Slade 48m in 4 carries, Avg 12m
Curry 49m in 9 carries, Avg 5.4m

Hogg 113m in 13 carries, Avg 8.7m
M Fagerson 64m in 4 carries, Avg 16m
J Gray 53m in 16 carries, Avg 3.3m

Not unbelievable in my opinion

I thought that too and certainly compared with some others I'd seen. How do they measure them? I'm guessing these are from the point of receiving the ball rather than ground gained over the gain line?

I thought that too and certainly compared with some others I'd seen. How do they measure them? I'm guessing these are from the point of receiving the ball rather than ground gained over the gain line?
I assume so, not neceaasrily the most meaningful stat unless you're careful . Slade's stats look mad to me. I think I read that he was passed the ball four times, so his numbers can't have been inflated by running kicks back. Did I miss a break that dragged his total up to 48 metres? To be fair, I spent some of the match looking at my mobile.

I think I read that he was passed the ball four times, so his numbers can't have been inflated by running kicks back. Did I miss a break that dragged his total up to 48 metres?
Could've been something like Daly catches a kick in the 22, Slade runs it back to the gainline on halfway,
Easy 30m made on a received pass

In Eng v Sco

Top carriers were

Daly 86m in 12 carries, Avg 7.2m
Slade 48m in 4 carries, Avg 12m
Curry 49m in 9 carries, Avg 5.4m

Hogg 113m in 13 carries, Avg 8.7m
M Fagerson 64m in 4 carries, Avg 16m
J Gray 53m in 16 carries, Avg 3.3m

Not unbelievable in my opinion
That does seem pretty unbelievable to me honestly. No way Curry, a forward in a beaten team, was making 5 metres plus per carry for example. And then Fagerson making 64 metres?

Curry made a break in the 2nd half that will have boosted his numbers

ESPN has Slade as 4 carries for 27 metres, Curry 9 for 20 and Daly 12 for 68. They sound a bit more believable to me, but you pays your money and takes your choice.

Stats can be helpful to an extent, but they mask so much more. In open play they're a much better guide to amount of involvement, than effectiveness.

But if we are going to use them make them consistent across the piece so we understand what we're talking about.

I assume so, not neceaasrily the most meaningful stat unless you're careful . Slade's stats look mad to me. I think I read that he was passed the ball four times, so his numbers can't have been inflated by running kicks back. Did I miss a break that dragged his total up to 48 metres? To be fair, I spent some of the match looking at my mobile.
Slade 1 offload and 1 kick in play

My numbers come from the match stats linked in the England squad thread

Latest posts