• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

So what is Fifa engine ?

K

knowsleyroader

Ok so they say they have used the fifa engine. What exactly does that mean ? Is this purely a cosmetic thing ? What exactly will the fifa engine bring to Rugby 2005 ?

I'm not too sure on this one, because I think the Fifa games are really poor! Facially, the players are good, but the animation is dodgy and the games are far too unresponsive! Pro Evo is a far far far better football game!

Saying that though, Fifa 2005 was an improvement on previous efforts, so there is hope!

To be fair though, the level of playability in FIFA 2005 would be the dogs danglies to us in a rugby game. Doubt we will ever get our PES
<

I assume that basically just imagine FIFA 2005 with 15 players and Rugby Rules...

Havent Played FIFA 2005 yet myself personally, more of a This is Soccer line of games fan

I've no idea what the engine entails but, of course, I'd be more than happy to speculate.

I'm getting a vision of 'continuous play' which rugby and football both have, and not gridiron. Therefore, it may be easier to implement certain guidelines on what is essentially two teams and an on-the-go strategy versus two teams and a measured, stop and go, chess-like strategy.

And that's about it.

Unless of course it's easier to have players with essentially the same uniform/body build and replicate that already in the engine.

I should really have a shovel for the stuff I'm saying. I don't know. It makes sense in my mind.

Well the engine entails roughly the whole game structure

Graphical engine
AI engine

And what ever else they wanted to use - like they are adding trax to this game so they would of used that, sound would be improved, Menu's, practically anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
To be fair though, the level of playability in FIFA 2005 would be the dogs danglies to us in a rugby game. Doubt we will ever get our PES[/b]

I really think WCR is trying to go down the same path as PES, in terms of using it as a benchmark for a rugby game (as they play PES a lot)

I may be in the wrong ball park here but I would like to think none of the AI will be used as we could end up with a very weird rugby game indeed.

Surely the AI is completely different ? Wouldnt it be just like using a beat em ups ai. I would like to think the AI is not being linked with Rugby 2005 at all as that is probably THE most important part of the game. Hopefully HB Studios have enough about them that they would want to create and use their own AI.

I think on a very basic level the FIFA AI would be fairly useful in terms of how players react to things around them, basic ball physics when kicked, reaction times etc. (the movies seem to show players looking at the ball/ball carrier for instance).

However it would need major reworking to be adapted for rugby situations.

Perhaps Mario could enlighten us with some words from one of SIDHEs development people on this subject??
<

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 11 2005, 02:41 PM
Well the engine entails roughly the whole game structure

Graphical engine
AI engine

And what ever else they wanted to use - like they are adding trax to this game so they would of used that, sound would be improved, Menu's, practically anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
To be fair though, the level of playability in FIFA 2005 would be the dogs danglies to us in a rugby game. Doubt we will ever get our PES

I really think WCR is trying to go down the same path as PES, in terms of using it as a benchmark for a rugby game (as they play PES a lot) [/b][/quote]
I disagree with the PES comment.......

Swordfish are developing a "pick up and play arcade" style of sportsgame, which is as far from the PES series as you could possibly get...........a benchmark rugby game would never be as arcadey as the game they seem to be pitching......

i dont think people want arcadey anymore i know i want something that takes stratagy and gud build up, not something that whoever has the fastest fingers wins!

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jan 13 2005, 09:31 AM
I think on a very basic level the FIFA AI would be fairly useful in terms of how players react to things around them, basic ball physics when kicked, reaction times etc. (the movies seem to show players looking at the ball/ball carrier for instance).

However it would need major reworking to be adapted for rugby situations.

Perhaps Mario could enlighten us with some words from one of SIDHEs development people on this subject??
<
We couldn't really speculate how much effort would be invloved as it is unclear what they are using from FIFA (not to mention they are a competitor).

Not specifically about rugby 2005 - the question really is how much AI can you use from another sports games engine??

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jan 13 2005, 12:40 PM
Not specifically about rugby 2005 - the question really is how much AI can you use from another sports games engine??
That totally depends on the state of the technology and how open the architecture is. Possibly a lot, possibly not very much.

Originally posted by Mario+Jan 13 2005, 12:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mario @ Jan 13 2005, 12:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Jan 13 2005, 12:40 PM
That totally depends on the state of the technology and how open the architecture is. Possibly a lot, possibly not very much. [/b]
Cheers for that (ever thought of running for parliament??
<
)

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jan 13 2005, 12:40 PM
What Mario said...

It also depends what Sport it is.. say you could probably take alot from a Union Game for a League game but you couldnt take very much from a Cricket Game for a Soccer Game

Originally posted by Mario+Jan 13 2005, 12:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mario @ Jan 13 2005, 12:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
That totally depends on the state of the technology and how open the architecture is. Possibly a lot, possibly not very much. [/b]
come on mario u can answer atleast this way

compare ur mob to HB

do u think they are similar in terms of open archeitecture and state of technology

if so - as a competitor do u think HB will pose a threat in the future to ur mob (SWOT), with this rugby 2005

even if u do not know atleast give us ur opinion on the matter

surely u arent blindsighted to ur competitors........surely u know what they are capable of doing....atleast approx capable of doing

atleast this way we get a ballpark look into what we are expecting

Originally posted by ak47@Jan 13 2005, 01:07 PM
surely u arent blindsighted to ur competitors........surely u know what they are capable of doing....atleast approx capable of doing
Not always... You do know that Rockstar North were the people who made Lemmings... now look at the Game Lemmings and tell me that you could see that one day turning into Grand Theft Auto

Originally posted by Ripper+Jan 13 2005, 01:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jan 13 2005, 01:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Jan 13 2005, 01:07 PM
Not always... You do know that Rockstar North were the people who made Lemmings... now look at the Game Lemmings and tell me that you could see that one day turning into Grand Theft Auto [/b]
lemmings was the best game of its time mo fo

Originally posted by ak47+Jan 13 2005, 01:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 13 2005, 01:07 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Mario@Jan 13 2005, 12:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan

That totally depends on the state of the technology and how open the architecture is. Possibly a lot, possibly not very much.
come on mario u can answer atleast this way

compare ur mob to HB

do u think they are similar in terms of open archeitecture and state of technology

if so - as a competitor do u think HB will pose a threat in the future to ur mob (SWOT), with this rugby 2005

even if u do not know atleast give us ur opinion on the matter

atleast this way we get a ballpark look into what we are expecting [/b]
Obviously, we are following closely what other companies are doing (I am posting in a Rugby 2005 forum after all).

However, it is not professional to comment about other companies.

You will have to address any questions regarding technology or quality expectations to HB Studios or EA directly.

Latest posts