• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Soliola to St Helens

S

St Helens RLFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...ens/8047521.stm

St Helens have agreed a deal to sign New Zealand international Sia Soliola on a three-year contract from 2010. The 22-year-old centre currently plays for Sydney Roosters and has made more than 80 appearances for them since his NRL debut in 2004.

"I am really looking forward to playing in England next year as St Helens is a fantastic club," said Soliola.

"I will be linking with my former Roosters team-mate Chris Flannery as well as Test team-mate Tony Puletua."

Soliola continued: "Going to England is something that has appealed to me now for a while.

"I will get the opportunity to play in a world-class team and, at the same time, experience life in a different country."

While Soliola is excited at the prospect of running out at Knowsley Road, he was keen to pay tribute to the club he will leave behind next season.

o.gif
"The Sydney Roosters have been fantastic to me since I came over here as a teenager. I doubt I could play for any other club in Australia - hence my decision to experience something different going forward," he said.

St Helens coach Mick Potter is delighted with the capture of the Kiwi and believes Soliola can add an extra dimension to his side next season.

"Sia will add size, speed and athleticism to our backline and will be a great addition to our squad next year."

Saints chairman Eamonn McManus believes the club have completed a shrewd piece of business with the signing of Soliola.

He said: "Sia Soliola will be an exciting addition to St Helens and to Super League next season. He is already one of the best centres in the game and at 22, has his best years ahead of him."

Get in. We deseperately need a centre and here is. Another young gun leaving the NRL for Super League. :D

Surprising, from what I seen he hasn't been great or I could be thinking of the wrong bloke.
Bondi struggling to hold onto centres themselves.

Supposedly he has spent a lot of this season at second row for Sydney. I have read a few mixed reactions from their fans, most seem to like him but he appears to come charging out of the line a lot. Maybe that's because he's not a second rower.

I see nothing as changed under the franchise system. All clubs still spending their money in the NRL and british youngsters being farmed out on loan or discarded altogether.
Not just having a pop at Stains here... Wigan are serial offenders at this although at least Stains spend their money on top quality imports.

Saints are, I would have thought, along with Leeds, one of the biggest providers of local lads into the sport. Our youth system is currently amazing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ May 21 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Saints are, I would have thought, along with Leeds, one of the biggest providers of local lads into the sport. Our youth system is currently amazing.[/b]

Look at the number of Wiganers throughout SL.... hell, even you have some!

This is the difference though... Wigan's youngsters play for Huddersfield etc. Ours play for us.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ May 21 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is the difference though... Wigan's youngsters play for Huddersfield etc. Ours play for us.[/b]

Sadly... they probably get better coaching and more chance of a game away from Wigan :(

Not sure about the coaching but they definitely get more chance of a game. This is why us phasing Long and co out is so important to us. If we do a Wigan it'll be us whose team is knackered for ten years instead.

Latest posts