• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs FIJI

Good on ya, Fiji! At 65 mins, I was a believer.

Shocking headless chicken impersonation by SA. Whoever pounded the table and made them concentrate in the last ten minutes deserves a medal.

Steyn was all over the place - one minute brilliant, the next clueless.

And again we have a SH ref-whinge! Calm down and get on with it.

Today Fiji made a spectacular exit from the RWC. IMO, the fijian scrum half, Mosese Rauluni, was the true man of the match. It's a shame Fiji makes those silly little mistakes that cost them games, because their players have a lot of flair.

South Africa ended up winning by 17 points in a very though match for them. I guess that at this stage this game would have been difficult for any team in the world.

I think that the european teams have shown to be better in this kind of situations, when there isn't anything to loose, and the game becomes very physical and intense. England and France managed to intimidate Australia and the All Blacks, who couldn't handle the pressure.

Now let's see how the Pumas go against Scotland. I'm confident the Pumas will have a great game tonight. :)

Boks played a bit loose at times and it cost them but they'll be ready for the SF. The scrums looked good although it was against Fiji. Defence needs to be tighened up. Fourie did have a poor game, but he'll rectify that.

Fiji are a real dirty bunch and the ref let a lot slide including the the touch judges. Wonder what would have happened if one of the Boks commited a high tackle or the like. NH refs are **** poor.

Don't know what you English are on about, you beat a mediocre Ozzie team play poor during the pool games and still have to play the French next in France, and when last did you beat them? The French are going to carve up you're backline. So don't get ahead of youselves.

Good on ya, Fiji! At 65 mins, I was a believer.

Shocking headless chicken impersonation by SA. Whoever pounded the table and made them concentrate in the last ten minutes deserves a medal.

Steyn was all over the place - one minute brilliant, the next clueless.

And again we have a SH ref-whinge! Calm down and get on with it.
[/b]

Um, yeah........we are getting on with it actually - we're playing in the semi's next weekend. How's Ireland doing?
I think there's a fair bit of difference between winning a game and then grumbling about calls made by a ref compared to losing a game and then blaming the loss on a ref. As a learned poster said earlier in this thread (I paraphrase) "good teams win or lose despite refs, not because of them"

Also can you people please stop this whole SH -whinging- crap.

it's like suddenly we're not allowed to critisise bad refereeing ?

it's not like I'm picking on him becuase he lost us the game, I'm picking on him because he truelly was horrible, I'd do the same to someone who refs the France England game, it's a world cup and when you look at the calls made today (along with a lot of calls throughout the world cup) you really start to wonder how these people were selected for the job.

@RC methinks he means congratulations on a terrific world cup.

Fiji played awesome and South Africa not so well but Fiji should have won the game!

Ranbini dropped that ball 5meters out what a fool! And that try should have been scored by that lock even tho it was a forward pass before hand.

Again

Well Played Team Of The Tourney!

You have to look at it objectively. There were atleast 3 high tackles bi Fiji that were not called out by the ref. The 4th was a touch-and-go. Admittedly, there was 1 or 2 from South Africa but they were punished.

I'm not going to say the ref was biased, but he really DID miss some important calls.

Agreed, South Africa did enough to get through but if they want to take on Argentina, France or England then they'll really need to tighten up their game.

Watching half of the mistakes and the sheer clueless nature of the Boks when Fiji came back at them was really frustrating to watch, definitely isn't something I take great pleasure at watching at all. Someone needs to give Montgomery a kick up the arse and tell him to switch on and to sit Steyn and Habana down and tell them that now isn't the time to start chucking wild passes all over the place.

South Africa need to cool down. Smidt, Os Du Brant, all the team's experienced guys need to get the younger heads cooled down because if South Africa melt down the way they did against Fiji between the 50 min - 60 minute mark then teams like Argentina will post 14 to 20 points on the board.

And yes, the ref and the touch judges were abysmal in their approach to both teams. Made some atrocious calls to let both teams off the hook and also to put extra pressure on both teams too. Very poor decision making.

he doesnt respect the island teams?...thats funny new zealand is the biggest island i know of..and the guys that been playing in the black jersey till this day and before he was born are of large polynesian decent...and the majority of them are way better players then him

hope this feeds the fijians engine room! but not to give away stupid penalties..rabeni shall see him through!!! [/b]

sole jus a reminder that AUSTRALIA is the biggest island nation!! :)

<div class='quotemain'> great game fiji!!!congratulations!!! [/b]

They lost by 17 points.
They're out of the world cup.

Okay...erm...yeah, congratulations Fiji!!!
:blink:
[/b][/quote]

They got further than they expected, played lovely rugby and went off with a smile on their face, why shoudln't they get a congratulations.

Plus they got further than Wales and Ireland.

Fiji played awesome and South Africa not so well but Fiji should have won the game!

Ranbini dropped that ball 5meters out what a fool! And that try should have been scored by that lock even tho it was a forward pass before hand.

Again

Well Played Team Of The Tourney! [/b]

If he had the ball in his left hand he might have got it down too! Awesome tackle by Pietersen to deny him though. I also wonder if Fourie will change his tune after that performance

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> great game fiji!!!congratulations!!! [/b]

They lost by 17 points.
They're out of the world cup.

Okay...erm...yeah, congratulations Fiji!!!
:blink:
[/b][/quote]

They got further than they expected, played lovely rugby and went off with a smile on their face, why shouldn't they get a congratulations.

Plus they got further than Wales and Ireland. [/b][/quote]

My point is i'd hate to be patronised like that. You know, "they got further than Wales and Ireland" are you going to patronise Scotland like that as well? You know, they were ranked lower than Wales and Ireland before the pool stages and now they've gotten into the quarters are you going to adopt the same attitude? You know the get-down-on-one-knee-and-scruff-up-their-hair kinda congratulations as if they're an 8 year old kid. Please, get off your high horse.

And Fiji and "lovely rugby" should come with a serious disclaimer.
Fiji Rugby Disclaimer: This team may come with some cynical, typical, illegal islander-esque tackles.

Not saying they didn't deserve to be there. Wales were made to look like amateurs (which, if it weren't for the millions the players were getting paid in Wales every year, i'd be convinced we were) it just everyone seems to be looking at the underdogs with some seriously rose-tinted glasses.
Lol.

Congrats to Fiji from my side too. Well played, great running with ball in hand. Plus you guys dominated the breakdowns- not something I`d have expected beforehand. Take a bow Mosese Rualini, you were absolutely superb!

On the issue of calls missed by the referee- very true. I`m also not very happy with the type of refereeing we`ve seen, not just in the quarters, but actually since the start of the tourney. Some very high tackles- from both sides, but more from Fiji IMO, were missed. When one looks at how that happens, while there have been some ridiculous citings and blatant simulation going on previously, well I don`t think I`m whingeing. I`m just asking for consistency.

As for the Bok performance, well the best thing we can say about it is that we`re through to the semi`s. But the fact we`ve now played 5 games, and have been suckered into trying to play sevens in 4 of them, is an area of concern. We`ve only been focused for the pool game against England, and it needs to be sorted pretty rapidly.

As for individual Bok performances, well glad to see Butch put up his hand and take control of proceedings after 65 minutes. Better late than never, but at least he`s shown that he can raise his game when it matters most. Juan Smith tried hard as always, and Doctor Doep did very well after only joining up with the side late on Thursday.

I felt the worst decision of that game was when Rabeni was yellow carded.

That tackle was fair in my opinion.

However, the NH refs have been more than pedantic with their refereeing and we're seeing too many touch judges who want to be seen on TV... although Steve Honiss is up there with the worst of the NH officials...

The worst of the tournament so far has to be Chris White. He ruined the Fra v Ire and Aus v Can match with his whistle mad style and getting in the way of the players.

I felt the refereeing in the SA v Fiji game wasn't too bad compared to the first two semis.

I feel that some of the NH refs have been making some odd decisions when it comes to the breakdown and that certainly helped England when they beat Australia on the weekend.

Oh, and sorry Du Preez, but Moses Rauluni has been THE BEST halfback of the tournament.

No doubt.

I felt the worst decision of that game was when Rabeni was yellow carded.

That tackle was fair in my opinion.[/b]

Are you mad? The ref warned Rabeni 3 times for high tackles then he got a card, that's fair. There were also other high tackles that went unpunished by the ref and it could have cost Fiji even more so they were lucky in that department.

As for individual Bok performances, well glad to see Butch put up his hand and take control of proceedings after 65 minutes. Better late than never, but at least he`s shown that he can raise his game when it matters most. Juan Smith tried hard as always, and Doctor Doep did very well after only joining up with the side late on Thursday.[/b]

Really? All I saw Butch James do after 65 minutes was attempt dopey kicks which almost either went on the full or went off all the way for a scrum back where he kicked or a 22 drop out to Fiji. He was so lucky with that one kick which went off a Fijian hand and ended up a 5 meter scrum to South Africa. In the end someone old and wise in the Bok team must have seriously slapped in the head and told him to calm the hell down. The whole Bok back line was in hyperactive mode and was going into overdrive against a threat that just was not there when really all they should have done was made their tackles!

Do you think that the fact that there are some old and wise guys in the team means that when the crap hits the fan there are those guys there who will take responsibility for when things head south?