Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
South Korea name World Cup squad
South Korea coach Huh Jung-Moo has included three British-based players in his 23-man World Cup squad.
Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-Sung, Bolton winger Lee Chung-Yong and Celtic's Ki Sung-Yong are all in.
Defender Shin Hyung-Min, midfielder Koo Ja-Cheol and forward Lee Keun-Ho were the trio trimmed from a squad that Huh had cut from 30 to 26 in mid-May.
But Huh has decided to take a gamble on striker Lee Dong-Guk, who is currently sidelined with a thigh injury.
The 31-year-old missed the 2006 finals in Germany because of a knee injury, having previously been overlooked by then coach Guus Hiddink for the 2002 finals which were held jointly by South Korea and Japan.

Lee, who is nicknamed 'Lion King', is expected to be fully fit by next week and Huh said: "The fact that I don't have a lot of options in terms of strikers is one of the reasons I chose him.
"Even if he can't play against Greece in the first game, I think he'll be ready for the second and third games with Argentina and Nigeria.
"Compared to other strikers, Lee Keun-Ho hasn't been able to snap out of a slump and I had high hopes for Shin Hyung-Min but he just wasn't vey good against Belarus."

South Korea lost 1-0 to Belarus in their final World Cup warm-up match on Sunday.
Defender Kang Min-Soo was drafted into the squad as a late replacement for Kwak Tae-Hwi, who suffered a knee injury in that game.
The 2002 World Cup semi-finalists' first match, in Group B, is against Greece in Port Elizabeth on 12 June, before they face Argentina in Johannesburg on the 17th and finally Nigeria in Durban on the 22nd.

South Korea squad:
Goalkeepers: Kim Young-Kwang (Ulsan), Lee Woon-Jae (Suwon), Jung Sung-Ryong (Seongnam).
Defenders: Kim Dong-Jin (Ulsan), Kim Hyung-Il (Pohang), Oh Beom-Seok (Ulsan), Lee Young-Pyo (Al Hilal), Lee Jung-Soo (Kashima Antlers), Cha Du-Ri (SC Freiburg), Cho Yong-Hyung (Jeju), Kang Min-Soo (Suwon);
Midfielders: Ki Sung-Yong (Celtic), Kim Bo-Kyung (Oita), Kim Nam-Il (Tom Tomsk), Kim Jae-Sung (Pohang), Kim Jung-Woo (Gwangju), Lee Chung-Yong (Bolton), Park Ji-Sung (Manchester United);
Forwards: Park Chu-Young (AS Monaco), Ahn Jung-Hwan (Dalian Shide), Lee Seung-Ryul (Seoul), Yeom Ki-Hun (Suwon), Lee Dong-Guk (Jeonbuk)

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8653765.stm

Latest posts