• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok 49 man squad announced

First two are definitely better, not so sure that the last two.

(Gary) Botha of the Blue Bulls (ex Harlequins) and (Tiaan) Liebenberg of Western Province. Both very good hookers and powerful in the loose.
Werner Kruger is a good choice, massively powerful. I'd consider him second choice tighthead after Jannie. Good impact off the bench.

I am not saying Brits is bad, it's just that our hookers are better or fit better into our Bok team

Personally more of a fan of Deon Fourie, boy has some talent.

He is quick, that's true, but I don't see him having a big Bok future. He is the same as Craig Burden. Talented, but used in the wrong position

I am not saying Brits is bad, it's just that our hookers are better or fit better into our Bok team

As an open field runner, I doubt there's a better player wearing a number 2 shirt in the world. HOWEVER - Brits cannot throw a lineout for Toffee nor scrum for his life.

I don't buy into this whole fitness horseshit what people throw around about test rugby players. All pros train for 3-6 hours a day, 6 days a week. Anyone who says otherwise is a communist/idiot.

All I know is we (WP/Stormers) sucked, sacked Brits and Watson and look where we are now; 2nd on the S15 log for the 2nd year and had a shot at the CC final last year as well. Watson and Brits were both EXTREMELY greedy with the pill and I remember having heart pains everytime Brits got himself isolated and coughed it up. Both also spend way too much time in the centers, more than both Burger and Bekker combined even.

Oosthuizen got pinged 8 time more than the 2nd guy with the most penalties against. I don't know anything about scrummaging and to me the scrums this year looked like a lottery as much as anything else but if that's the way the ref's are blowing... he does run like an animal though and topping the list for pilfers made as a prop... props. Steenkamp, Mtawarira and Greyling more than capable though.

Brits is better now and is a very reliable scrummager and line out thrower. Saracens had one of the best lineouts in the league last year and a solid scrum. And obviously there's the fact he could play centre too...

Personally more of a fan of Deon Fourie, boy has some talent.

Deon Fourie just has so much toe... No hooker should be that fast. (Brits doesn't count :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Brits:
Overseas players are only called up if they are irreplaceable

Johann Muller's irreplaceable?

I'm really pleased for him, he's been a brilliant focal point for Ulster and in general I am very proud of the 3 Adopted Ulstemen who've made the South Africa squad. A credit both of themselves and to this Ulster team.

But I fail to believe Johann Muller's irreplaceable to the Springboks.

In a squad of 49, Johann Muller is in it. When the squad shrinks back to 30, Muller will drop out. The only locks better than Muller are: Matfield, Bekker, van der Merwe, Rossouw and maybe Bakkies (if you insist on ending with 14 men).

After his performance on the weekend he seems the right guy to take Januaries spot... :p

Doesn't matter. Du Preez, Pienaar and Hougaard will be the only SH's to make the final 30. I hope.

Big blow for SA, whether he starts or comes off the bench he would have been an important player

Latest posts