• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok in biting shock!

What a load of absolute garbage!! These citing are ruining the tournament... Well not for the Wallabies & AB's at least, who could have easily found themselves a few players down if the citings were anything close to resembling consistant. But that aside, I'm pretty sure Steyn is innocent, even the English commentators seemed to agree!!

Ohhhh not too sure. The Tongan (cant remember his name) was damned sure he had been bitten at the time and was fairly pished at it. He gestured to the ref numerous times after the mini bust up with Steyn. Steyn looked like he may have been provoked as he was fairly angry too, but if he bit the guy, he deserves a ban.

This aint football. If a big ass Tongan buy said he was bitten, I believe him. He's no reason to lie and they hardly have a history of play acting.

Well, the commentators seemed to think that it was actually Wynand Olivier who bit the Tongan... No doubt he was biten, just by who is in question.

Well, the commentators seemed to think that it was actually Wynand Olivier who bit the Tongan... No doubt he was biten, just by who is in question.
[/b]

That I can believe. Must be ****** off that someone from a "minnow" nation had better hairdo than him.

What a load of bullshit. Ref's are also clearly favouring these minnow nations in the WC.

^^^what?...shut up...if a dude bites some one on the field then he deserves to get the f*** out...with evidence provided we shall whats goes down...but dont put that minnow bullshit forward..regardless of who it was then they deserve a ban and south africans dont have a good record when it comes to fair play

Steyn was charged with biting, yet there is no solid evidence that he did it. Burger got a ban and a penalty awarded against him for a supposed dangerous tackle against Samoa, yet Lima performs a dangerous tackle on Pretorius but nothing happens.

What a load of bullshit. Ref's are also clearly favouring these minnow nations in the WC.
[/b]

After watching the South Africa v Samoa game I don't think that's the case at all.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

After watching the South Africa v Samoa game I don't think that's the case at all.
[/b][/quote]

Well I'm not referring to that one specific match in particular.

If Steyn is found guilty he should be banned for 6 months in my opinion, biting an opponent should not be tolerated at any level of sport and he should be ashamed of himself. Disgusting.

There's no proof he bit the Tongan winger, and Steyn isn't the type of person that would bite someone.

If there's proof of someone biting thie winger (which there could be because there are multiple cameras situated on one event at all times) then whomever was at fault could be in trouble here.
Childishh thing to do if you ask me.
But i can't see this being a conspiracy against South Africa...or any form of conspiracy favouring the minnows - it just seems a little paranoid to think that.

Thought I remembered a HEC biting ban, where the only evidence was the victim's say-so, without video. So I googled but could only come up with this from 2005 ...

Scots woman prop bites opponent's shoulder "by accident":

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/rugby.cfm?id=47282005

And another was banned for stomping on her opposite number's head.

Steyn is a ******** - apart from the viciousness, bite wounds can get really nasty. And could cost SA very dear.

Disgusting play if it did happen.

They have to have sufficient evidence to support the claim and be very sure they get the right man if it did happen.

With a maximum ban of three years, it could destroy someones career, gotta be sure it's the right man in these circumstances.

Yeah, Steyn has "bitten" his flying fist.. please <_<
Try to land a serious punch in someones's face, without teeth marks.

I await the outcome of the citing with baited breath. If indeed it is proved that a bite did occur, well the mandatory ban is 6 weeks to 18 months as far as I`m aware, and should be enforced, no question. There is absolutely no place for something like that in rugby, full stop.

But equally important, should the commission find no evidence of said bite, well then the Tongan player in question needs to get himself a healthy little ban too. Making allegations of biting is a serious issue, it puts a cloud over a player`s name, reputation and upbringing. And as much as dirty play like biting has absolutely no place in rugby, neither does making unfounded allegations and play-acting.

So basically, someone is a dirty cheat. Whether it is a biter or a bloke crying wolf, we`ll just have to wait and see. If the allegations are proved, I`ll be the first to call for a lengthy ban. But I just don`t see Steyn as that type of a player.

Dunno who bit him, but the commentator who they had on the sideline said he could clearly see bite marks on Vaka's finger. This seems like pretty damning evidence unless we're suggesting he bit himself. Might be hard to see who did the biting at the bottom of a ruck, but I wonder how the judiciary would rule if they got a shot of Vaka's finger with bite marks all over it. Time will tell.

Unless the IRB employs CSI to match the bitemarks beyond a 90% doubt with Steyns' teeth formation, the marks on that finger doesn't prove a thing, unless some concrete evidence can be found to uphold the claim in the form of footage of the incident I don't think there's a case.

I also doubt the remark that many of these citings are done with an eye on favouring the minnows, the citing officer in the case of Burger was Australian, and correct me if I am wrong but the one in this case is French..... call that nuetral?