• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok squad for EOYT

M

munross

Might be a bit early to choose already but these are the players that I feel will be picked.PDV said that he's gonna take 37 players, so here is mine:
Forwards = 19
Backs = 18

Props(5)

*Beast Mtawarira
*Gurthro Steenkamp
*John Smit©
*Wicus Blaauw
*Jannie du Plessis

Hookers(3)

*Bismarck du Plessis
*Tiaan Liebenberg
*Chiliboy Ralepelle

Locks(5)

*Victor Matfield
*Bakkies Botha
*Andries Bekker
*Anton van Zyl / Steven Sykes (both of them had a good year so far)
*Johann Muller

Loose Forwards(6)

*Schalk Burger
*Ryan Kankowski
*Jean Deysel
*Heinrich Brussow
*Pierre Spies
*Dewald Potgieter / Juan Smith

Scrum Halves(4)

*Fourie du Preez
*Enrico Januarie
*Sarel Pretorius
*Rory Kockott

Fly Halves(3)***

*Morne Steyn
*Ruan Pienaar
*Peter Grant / Naas Olivier (close between the 2 of them)

Centers(4)

*Wynand Olivier
*Jaque Fourie
*Adrian Jacobs
*Doppies la Grange / Juan de Jongh

Wings(4)

*Bryan Habana
*JP Pietersen
*Akona Ndungane / Odwa Ndungane (1 of the 2 brothers)
*Jonki Nokwe

Fullbacks(3)***

*Zane Kirchner
*Riaan Viljoen
*Joe Pietersen

***Earl <strike>"useless c**t, can't catch or kick a ball, dumb-arse idiot"</strike> Rose will probably worm his way into one of these positions :rolleyes:

Don't know about Müller. Even if he does get over his fractured arm, he won't have enough game time to maintain a decent performance. I would love to see a Brüssow - Deysel - Kankowski combination. Riaan Swanepoel should be included as well, perhaps over Adi Jacobs.

Since Jean de Villiers signed with Munster, he became ineligible to play with the Boks. The same happens with Frans Steyn. The current policy aims to keep their best players in SA, which in the long run preserves the quality of the competition.

I can sort of understand why JdV moved to Europe. But Frans? He's too young to start thinking about how much he'll get paid -- and I think that was a pretty stupid move.

Wait, I thought in SA they could play for overseas clubs...? Isn't that how Percy Montgomery played for them last year? Along with some others (or so I thought)?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 11 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wait, I thought in SA they could play for overseas clubs...? Isn't that how Percy Montgomery played for them last year? Along with some others (or so I thought)?[/b]
Yeah, SA do have a number of players they can take, that are signed with over seas clubs. The only two reasons I can think why JdV and Steyn wouldn't get included is -
A ). Wern't releaced from their clubs during the Tests.
B ). Perhaps PDV wanted to grow players for the 2011 RWC for the 2011 RWC.
C ). Changed selection policy?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 11 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 11 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, I thought in SA they could play for overseas clubs...? Isn't that how Percy Montgomery played for them last year? Along with some others (or so I thought)?[/b]
Yeah, SA do have a number of players they can take, that are signed with over seas clubs. The only two reasons I can think why JdV and Steyn wouldn't get included is -
A ). Wern't releaced from their clubs during the Tests.
B ). Perhaps PDV wanted to grow players for the 2011 RWC for the 2011 RWC.
C ). Changed selection policy?
[/b][/quote]

They changed the selection policy and players like Steyn and JDV knew about it before they signed for overseas clubs.

Let us also consider... the PDV Factor!

CARTOON%20DE%20VILLLIERS.GIF

:D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Oct 10 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Might be a bit early to choose already but these are the players that I feel will be picked.PDV said that he's gonna take 37 players, so here is mine:
Forwards = 19
Backs = 18

Props(5)

*Beast Mtawarira
*Gurthro Steenkamp I'd give WP Nel ro Wian du Preez this spot as we need a good scrummager
*John Smit©
*Wicus Blaauw
*Jannie du Plessis

Hookers(3)

*Bismarck du Plessis
*Tiaan Liebenberg
*Chiliboy Ralepelle should in a fair world get replaced by Adriaan Strauss or Ashley Johnson if PdV wants a project

Locks(5)

*Victor Matfield
*Bakkies Botha
*Andries Bekker
*Anton van Zyl
*Johann Muller noooo, not Muller. Rather take Sykes/de Villiers/Lombaard

Loose Forwards(6)

*Schalk Burger
*Ryan Kankowski
*Jean Deysel /Willem Alberts/Ashley Johnson/Duane vermeulen, all woelig and no-one would be a surprise. might even consider FLouw as a back-up for Brussouw
*Heinrich Brussow
*Pierre Spies
*Dewald Potgieter

Heard tell of Mpho Mbiyozo being considered straight from 7s...

Scrum Halves(4)

*Fourie du Preez
*Enrico Januarie no, Francois Hougaard and tell Ricky to stay at home and get into shape like NZ told Ross to bulk up
*Sarel Pretorius
*Rory Kockott no, Jano Vermaak rather

Fly Halves(3)***

*Morne Steyn
*Ruan Pienaar
*Peter Grant / Naas Olivier (close between the 2 of them) Jacques Louis Potgieter had a better season but stil can't see any of these in green

Centers(4)

*Wynand Olivier
*Jaque Fourie
*Adrian Jacobs
*Doppies la Grange / Juan de Jongh de Jongh's defence puts him in front of laGrange and Adi IMO. Others that might be SUPRISE selections; Morgan Newman, Riaan Swanepoel, Barry Geel

Wings(4)

*Bryan Habana
*JP Pietersen
*Akona Ndungane / Odwa Ndungane (1 of the 2 brothers) Their lack of pace has been shown up in other tests. I would be thankful if PdV calls on Mapoe or van der Heever
*Jonki Nokwe no, please no, rather Chavanga.

Fullbacks(3)***

*Zane Kirchner Riaan Viljoen is my FB of choice with Frans gone. Any of Joe or JP Pietersen second. Joe a reliable goalkicker as well..
*Riaan Viljoen
*Joe Pietersen

Surely there can be no inclusion of Earl Rose.

***Earl <strike>"useless c**t, can't catch or kick a ball, dumb-arse idiot"</strike> Rose will probably worm his way into one of these positions :rolleyes:[/b]

Springbok squad or 2009 EoYT
Sarugby.com

Forwards (20): John Smit (Sharks, captain - 90), Victor Matfield (Blue Bulls, vice-captain - 89), Andries Bekker (Western Province - 18), Bakkies Botha (Blue Bulls - 63), Heinrich Brüssow (Cheetahs - 10), Schalk Burger â€" Western Province - 53), Bismarck du Plessis (Natal Sharks - 30), Jannie du Plessis (Natal Sharks - 12), Alistair Hargreaves (Natal Sharks - 0), Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs - 0), Ryan Kankowski (Natal Sharks - 10), Bandise Maku (Blue Bulls - 0), Tendai Mtawarira (Natal Sharks - 19), Dewald Potgieter (Blue Bulls - 0), Chiliboy Ralepelle (Blue Bulls - 8), Davon Raubenheimer â€" Griquas - 0), Danie Rossouw (Blue Bulls - 43), Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls - 28), Gurthrö Steenkamp (Blue Bulls - 22), Heinke van der Merwe (Lions - 1).

Backs (17): Heini Adams â€" Blue Bulls - 0), Meyer Bosman (Cheetahs - 3), Juan de Jongh (Western Province - 0), Fourie du Preez (Blue Bulls - 52), Jaque Fourie (Lions - 51), Bryan Habana (Blue Bulls - 54), Francois Hougaard (Blue Bulls - 0), Adi Jacobs (Natal Sharks - 28), Zane Kirchner (Blue Bulls - 1), Odwa Ndungane (Natal Sharks - 6), Jongi Nokwe (Cheetahs - 4), Wynand Olivier (Blue Bulls - 24), Ruan Pienaar (Natal Sharks - 35), JP Pietersen (Natal Sharks - 30), Earl Rose (Lions - 0), Morné Steyn (Blue Bulls - 9), Riaan Viljoen â€" Griquas - 0).

Hmmmmmmm...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 11 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Let us also consider... the PDV Factor!

CARTOON%20DE%20VILLLIERS.GIF

:D[/b]

LOL, Juan, the PDivvy factor was huge this itm round! I am hoping though that sanity will prevail in the selections of the 22 for the tests. I mean, picking one province's 4th choice hooker to be Bok when their are definately 9 others I can think of? Wow. Hargreaves and Raubenheimer.. I am still reeling

Latest posts