• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squads announced for Super Series

W

woosaah

Test
Andrew Flintof, Steve Harmison, Michael Vaughan (ENG), Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble (IND), Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori(NZL), Shoaib Akhtar Younis Khan, Inzamam ul Haq (PAK), Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher, Makhaya Ntini, Graeme Smith, Shaun Pollock(SAF), Muttiah Muralitharan (SRI), Brian Lara, Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI)

ODI
Andrew Flintof, Steve Harmison, Kevin Pietersen (ENG), Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar(IND), Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori (NZL), Shoaib Akhtar, Inzamam ul Haq, Shahid Afridi,Abdul Razzaq (PAK),Jacques Kallis, Makhaya Ntini, Shaun Pollock, Herschelle Gibbs (SAF), Muttiah Muralitharan, Kumar Sangakkara (SRI), Brian Lara, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Chris Gayle (WI)

just thought you guys would want to know
<

For the test I'd probably go for

Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Brian Lara
Michael Vaughan
Brendon McCullum
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble
Steve Harmison

Certainly a tricky one for the selectors, with it being at Sydney you'd probably want 2 spinners but you need a paceman and the 6 days would call for plenty of depth in the batting which you'd certainly get with Pollock coming in at 9, Smith and Vaughan might have a bit of joy with their part time spin plus Kallis can have a bowl as well. Maybe Murali instead of Pollock, not too sure.

Yeah thats a damn good team, the only change to that is take out kumble and put in vettori, i rate him higher than kumble. i think he is over rated especially this past season. Also i might have Dravid instead of kallis.

I think the extra day would suit Kallis' style and allow him to build a strong innings, Vaughan's form has been a bit dodgy but he has played well against Australia, so maybe Dravid could come in for him, if Kumble isn't picked I doubt Vettorri would be ahead of Murali.

Why not? Vettori was the only kiwi to play well against the Aussies, and although everybody else was crap he was awesome. Murali hasn't shown anything since coming back after injury.

Well the stats would argue that Murali and Kumble have done better against Australia than Vettori. He may have better figures with the bat but he'd be coming in 9 at the earliest with the strength of the batting lineup.

Vettori's stats against Australia
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St
13 400 65 25.00 0 2 51 7/87 33.45 6 8 0
Kumble's stats against Australia
14 283 39 17.68 0 0 88 8/141 27.17 9 6 0
Muralitharan's stats against Australia
10 76 43 10.85 0 0 50 6/59 31.42 5 9 0

My eyes hurt after reading that...

anyway i am going on recent form, murli has just came back from a long injury stint so i don't think he would be up to playing against the best team in the world. He wasn't to good when he was here (in new zealand) for the World XI games, you could tell he was rusty. By what i can tell about your post that murli and vettori are pretty close anyway. Just take vettori in for the tail end

How has Kumble been going recently (shouldn't this be on recent form not over all form?)

Final world selections named with John Wright as the coach..........

World XI Test: Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan), Mark Boucher (South Africa), Rahul Dravid (India), Andrew Flintoff (England), Steve Harmison (England), Brian Lara (West Indies), Jacques Kallis (South Africa), Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka), Shaun Pollock (South Africa), Virender Sehwag (India), Graeme Smith (South Africa, captain), Sachin Tendulkar (India), Daniel Vettori (New Zealand).

World XI one-day: Shahid Afridi (Pakistan), Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan), Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa), Andrew Flintoff (England), Jacques Kallis (South Africa), Brian Lara (West Indies), Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka), Makhaya Ntini (South Africa), Kevin Pietersen (England), Shaun Pollock (South Africa, captain), Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka), Virender Sehwag (India), Sachin Tendulkar (India), Daniel Vettori (New Zealand).

yeah they don't look to bad, i would have rather had mccullum in there instead of sangakara, but i am bias
<

Michael Vaughan could replace Sachin Tendulkar if his elbow injury rules him out. He has until next Wednesday to prove his fitness to Sunil Gavaskar. While Vaughan might get his test spot it's likely that Inzamam would take his place in the one day squad.

Looks like Herschelle Gibgs is out of the one day squad with a knee injury, an mri scan showed that he's damaged the cartilage behind his right knee cap.

Could still be Inzy if Tendulkar is passed fit, not sure who else they've lined up though.

Tendulkar is definitely out and it's looking likely that Inzamam will replace him despite an early hissy fit at not being included in the first place saying he wouldn't accept a late call up but he obviously had sense talked into him to reconsider such a great opportunity.

ahh i hate inzi anyway, if only he knew how to take singles he would be great, would have been great, i think he is passed it now

pity about tendulkar

I am going to be there on days 5-6 - if they get that far

will be a good series

not being arrogant but I think the aussies back on home soil will topple the world team..........u can call me optimistic still.........reality has it our form sux.

will be interesting to see if Flintoff reverse swings with kookaburras on our turf.

either way i cant wait to see the quality of cricket played, and the rest of the world unite in the crowd as one against us.

Cant wait to see pakis and indians cheering as one..........and cant wait to return serve with a good spraying!!!!!!!!!

A very multicultural city is Sydney............i reckon the crowd will be 50/50

i am just looking forward to watching it, i love test matches and the thought of sitting there for 6 days just watching cricket is gonna be great

man i need a life LOL

Latest posts