• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

St Helens vs. Wigan

good game tonight, can't believe that bloke got knocked out in the 2nd minute! unlucky or wot!!

This was a really good game and very enjoyable to watch.
At half-time i feared that Saints may not have luck on their side to win the game. The ref was was attrotious on the night as were the conditions for a fast paced game, but the saints managed to put enough together. Luck did fall on us and Leon Pryce got 2 tries because of that, but from what i saw Wellens made a couple of great breaks which Saints failed to do anything with.
The first half was littered with us throwing chances away and Wigan took their chances thanks to Barrett's deliciously sublime boot throwing the Saints in all direction.
Thankfully, even with Long kicking like a mule at time we ended up taking that crucial point which closed the game.

Amazing atmosphere, it was how i imagined a derby between the two sides would be like.

What a great weekend that was. Really good time had by all I think. It was a nice sunny day on Thursday, which I was really pleased about as the weather has been awful recently. I was also keen to have good weather for the match - not only because the rain would bring us down to Wigan's level and act as an equaliser, but because the drier it is, the more (in theory) of an open and attacking match it should be.

I met Rugby Cymru (we spent much of the time debating how that was pronounced, we decided I just couldn't speak Welsh!) at Liverpool Lime Street, and we were in St Helens just under an hour later. Teh Mite got so, so close to my house, a few directions later though we met him at the train station and he drove the short distance to my house.

There, there were the introductions to my mate who is living with me at the moment and of course, the Dillon Experience. My 2 year old dalmation is a handful, especially when you're new and you like dogs. As I'm sat writing this he is lying down fast asleep next to me - why wasn't he like that when my guests were here! Well, he'd be too busy sleep depriving, piercing testicles, attempting to steal pizza and generally causing havoc.

After the introductions and rests after the log journeys for RC and Mite, we ordered pizza. Lots of pizza. In fact, so much pizza, I have only just finished it! We watched some lower level rugby league and some wrestling and then organised the front room so we could all sleep. Mite had the couch, Matt had the mattress on the floor, me and my mate had the sofa bed. It was at this point Dillon leapt off the mattress onto Mite's crotch. That must have hurt! We managed to get to sleep finally when my investigative hound fell asleep on my feet and stopped walking over Matt, prone on the floor.

However, the match day started early when Dillon had everyone up, talking, and having an early morning drink by 7am. The dog goes mad at sun up, and you've no chance of sleeping when new people are in the house. With us awake, HE went to sleep! The cheek of it! However with him incapacitated we took advantage and set up the XBOX. Before beginning the tournament Matt and Mite watched my film, Murder by Fatal Death 2. I think they enjoyed it.(Feel free to expand!)

We then got going on the XBOX. I got embarassed by my friend Ste, who despite never having played the game beat me! And again later on. Mite crushed RC and we started a tournament which we never quite finished due to time constraints brought about by the weather. At that point we went to Frankie and Benny's, a chain of restaurants, and pigged out on a 3 course for £8.95 meal which hit the spot. Well... me and Mite had the 3 courses, RC had just the two. And regretted not getting a starter later on...

After that we headed into town and my guests swooped on a Saints shirt each. Very decent of them - I intend to buy a Northampton and an Ospreys shirt next month as a show of thanks and friendship between us and our clubs. In fact, I was jealous as Mite's shirt had "World Champions 2007" embroidered onto it. Mine doesn't!

With time turning into a blur for me due to nerves we headed home and played some more Rugby 06. I got caned, Matt got uber caned. Mite ruled the roost on Rugby 06 and furthered his dominance later in the evening.

We took the short walk from my house to Saints in light rain. I was cursing the weather as Saints are definitely a dry weather team. It wasn't too heavy though and we got to our place in the stands in good time as we had an impromtu meeting with Locksley on the terraces. We then scurried to the half way line and I made introductions to my friends who I stand with every week.

And then as if by magic, kick off. The torturous wait (for me anyway) was other and the best derby in world rugby league was off to a flier as both teams got right into each other. But the game was soon held up for 5 minutes as Nick Fozzard drove the ball up and Stuart Fielden tried to tackle him. The latter came off worse, unconscious in fact, and there was a 5 minute delay whilst he got revived. After that, Fozzard was immense. Nobody wanted to tackle him and he took full advantage with some barnstorming runs and breaks. Saints were fired up for this game and it was hardly any time at all before we were in front, Cayless scoring an easy try after a flat pass from Cunningham gave him a walk in under the sticks.

Rather than easing off though, Saints went straight back onto the attack and spurned a couple of half chances. It wasn't long before our lead was extended. James Roby, a leading candidate for Man of Steel, made a great break but was foiled by Pat Richards. Cunningham though was quickly on the scene and floated a pass out to Meli who scored with ease in the corner. Wellens missed this kick but Saints were 10-0 up with just as many minutes on the clock.

It looked like this was going to be a walkover and it should have been as further breaks from Roby and a particularly strong run from Wellens were not finished up with some support play. If they had been Saints could have been well over the hill.

As it turns out though, after 25 minutes of dominance from Saints, the mutants were able to force their way back into the game with some good kicking from Trent Barrett, forcing drop out after drop out. We had to drop out 6 times in the first half, all because of kicks from Barrett. I think he's good (but overrated) but he is too good to be in Wigan's team. They rely on him too heavily and Leon Pryce and James Roby made kicking the only thing he could do.

After a rotten bit of luck in which the clown of an official, who was out to get us all game long, gave a penalty for no good reason and missed a blatant forward pass in the build up, Wigan got their score as the hooter went for half time as a Barrett kick evaded everyone only to be "touched down" by Pat Richards. I saw it at the game on the big screen and I saw it on the TV when I got home - I think it was a knock on. Not like we were ever going to get away with that though. 10 - 6 at half time to the world champions.

After Mite's attempt to buy a pint lasted about 30 seconds, the half time talk was all about how unlucky Saints were to have conceded that try. I was concerned that we were going to get screwed over as we were not getting the rub of the green from the ref and we weren't having much luck to boot.

My nasty feeling continued well into the second half as Wigan piled on the pressure, forcing repeat sets with some good kicking. However, on several occasions they had no clue close to their line and we soaked up the pressure easily enough.

The turning point of the game came on the hour when Sean Long kicked an awesome 40-20. In the same set on the last tackle, the awful Matt Gidley put a kick through that went dead. A nothing kick. From the re-start on the 20, Sean O'Laughlin took the ball up but got biffed by Chris Flannery, making his debut for Saints and coughed up the ball. Leon Pryce swooped on the ball, threw a dummy, made the break and scored under the sticks to great elation around Knowsley Road. Long made the conversion and at 16-6 things looked more comfortable.

As the game approached the last 15 minutes, some Wigan indiscipline cost them another two points as Mick Higham gave away a penalty for a high shot which Long put over to make it 18-6. Wigan soon hit back though and a cross field kick from Barrett bounced horribly straight to Darrell Goulding, who was able to cross unopposed. O'Laughlin kicked the goal and the gap was 6.

As time ran out, a few Wigan half breaks were foiled by some good tackling from Saints and a knock on from Goulding was almost punished by Long, whose drop goal was just wide. However, it was temporary respite as Long slotted home a drop goal at the second attempt with 4 minutes to go to make it 19-12. And that was the final score as Wigan went through the motions but knew they were beaten. Mass celebration at Saints as our two week losing spell finally came to an end against the old enemy, who had had the rug pulled from under their feet after 2 big wins.

As the weather continued to deteriorate my friend baled us out by giving us a lift home, where we continued the XBOX festivities. Suddenly, a knock on the door reminded me what I totally forgot - Wigan RLFC came round to join the fun. Not that Mite let him have him much fun on the Rugby 06 side of things as he was just another victim of the Northampton Suplex Machine. We then settled down to watch the replay of the game and my initial thoughts were spot on - the ref was and is a gobshite. When that had finished, Wigan RLFC went on his way and we headed to our respective beds. Unfortunately, Mrs SHRLFC had been on a night out and just when everyone had settled, came in. Causing Dillion to get excited and cause chaos for a while.

When I came down the next morning, we sat and watched the Tri Nations game. The boys were already awake due to Dillon and it was during half time of this penalty kick fest that we saw the weather reports. Mite decided it would be best to leave that afternoon to beat the weather that had caused so much bother.

Before that though, I was determined that m guests visit what I believe to be the greatest chippy on the planet - the Chipmunk. Matt and Mite agree that I talk about it so much because it is that damned good! Mite is now a big fan of Specials! Also known as scallops, also known as slices of potatoes fried in batter. Brilliant. Mite kindly paid for my meal and off we went to St Helens Central train station, where Matt caught his train. Little did I know it would take 10 hours for him to get home due to said weather.

With a quick detour via Woolworths, Tesco, my house and youtube, Mite then got off, making a very quick journey home.

And that was that. Thanks for coming gents.

Well summed up dan and thanks for not telling everyone how i lost by 90 points and 100 points in both games against Mite.

Oh...wait...

Well summed up dan and thanks for not telling everyone how i lost by 90 points and 100 points in both games against Mite.

Oh...wait...

[/b]

:bleh!:

Small selection of photos added to the gallery section. Cheers for those Matt.

Latest posts