• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting Advice

tonovon

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Northampton
Hello! I'm an American who has recently been introduced to rugby. I've watched a few Aviva Premiership matches after learning the basics and I seem to have a handle on at least the most elementary aspects of the game. I was wondering if anyone had advice on which leagues were the best for recreational viewing and also which position you would recommend I play. Practices at a nearby club are open to anyone including new players but they ask for preferred positions. I might be a little on the small side but I'm 174 cm and 70 kg. From what I gather that certainly places me among the backs and I'm looking to start mastering the basic passing and kicking skills soon. Thanks!

Welcome to the rugby world!

If you are interested in discovering rugby, any game from the top leagues (Aviva Premiership,Super Rugby) as well as international will be good to learn new things, just watch and enjoy.Don´t let your size choose the position for you, the best way is to try and explore the ones you liked the most, but considering your height/wheight i would consider winger/fullback or scrum-half.Wingers/fullbacks need to be fast and agile, kicking and catching are very helpfull skills, while the scrum-half needs good passion skills, good understanding of the game and high stamina.Some good examples at scrum-half would be:
-Faf de Klerl (South Africa /Lions)
-Aaron Smith (New Zeland /Highlanders)
-Ben Youngs (England /Leicester Tigers)

Good examples for fast agile wingers/fullbacks:

-Shane Williams (retired played for Wales)
-Jason Robinson (also retired played for England)
-Santiago Cordero (Argentina /Jaguares)

Hope you enjoy the sport! :)

Welcome to the forum!

As Bruce have said, those are the current examples.

If you are going to watch videos of matches, and want to specifically focus on smaller players, I can suggest a few South African players who might tickle your fancy:
Cheslin Kolbe
Brent Russel
Ricky Januarie
Faf De Klerk
Jano Vermaak
Gio Aplon

As for leagues. Aviva and Super Rugby are good examples. You might also like French Top 14, Currie Cup (South Africa's Domestic League), Mitre 10 (New Zealand's Domestic League) and others.

I would also suggest you follow the 7's World Series, where there are a lot of small'ish guys playing. The next leg of the tournament is in New Zealand and will be played on the weekend of the 28 and 29 January.

Latest posts