Steve Hansen stays on as All Blacks coach till 2019

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Steve Hansen has had his All Blacks coaching position extended through to the next World Cup.

The new deal was confirmed by New Zealand Rugby at a media conference in Wellington on Monday.
Hansen's previous contract was set to expire next year after the All Blacks host the British & Irish Lions in three tests

But he has satisfied himself and his bosses that he has the drive to defend the World Cup in Japan in 2019

The 57-year-old has also cleared the massive commitment with his family.
Hansen has been involved in the back-to-back World Cup successes of 2011 and 2015.
He was appointed head coach in the wake of the 2011 triumph in New Zealand, replacing Sir Graham Henry

He managed to take the All Blacks to a new level as they became the first New Zealand team to taste World Cup success overseas and the first team in the history of the tournament to defend the ***le when they beat Australia in last year's final in London.
Hansen has lost just three of 57 tests since gaining sole charge of the All Blacks.
Hansen, who previously coached Wales, began his involvement with the All Blacks set up in 2004 as one of Henry's assistants.
Hansen said he was honoured and grateful to extend his contract.
"It was never going to be an easy decision nor a foregone conclusion that I would extend my contract. As I've said many times before, it had to be right for my family, for myself and for the team," Hansen said.
"In speaking to my family, they've all given me their wholehearted support and I'm very thankful for that, because you just couldn't do this job without that.
"In asking the important questions of myself, I had to be confident, firstly, in my own mind that I still had the passion, drive and commitment to keep pushing this team to improve and be better. The recent series against the Welsh confirmed to me that I still had that internal motivation.
"The second question I had asked myself was: could I improve as a coach? And I believe I can, and must, as I will be asking others to do the same.
"With regards to the team, I spoke to a number of players and management to get their thoughts on what would be right for the team going forward and I received unanimous feedback from them that it was right for me to continue.
"Once I had confirmed all three of those considerations, it really was a no-brainer to continue, because, as a coach, there is no better job in rugby than coaching your own national team, particularly one that is as successful as this All Blacks team has been."

Hansen also said he was thrilled to be leading the All Blacks through until Rugby World Cup 2019.
"Having the opportunity to be part of a team that will be trying to win three consecutive Rugby World Cups is both an invigorating and exciting challenge and one I'm very much looking forward to being part of."

NZR chief executive Steve Tew said it had been easy for the board to make a unanimous decision to extend Hansen's current contract.
Hansen's All Blacks beat Wales 3-0 in their June test series in New Zealand with the coach fielding a new-look squad after the retirement of a stack of experienced players after last year's World Cup.

The All Blacks are preparing to open their Rugby Championship campaign with a Bledisloe Cup battle with Australia in Sydney on August 20.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ve-steve-hansen-announcement-at-all-blacks-hq

Well, that's certainly a positive.

Yeah its good new for the AB's.

Means we may lose a coach or 2 to overseas roles now that no AB's vacancy will pop up for 3 years, but that is the price you pay.

Yeah its good new for the AB's.

Means we may lose a coach or 2 to overseas roles now that no AB's vacancy will pop up for 3 years, but that is the price you pay.

Shouldn't be an issue. Hansen and Henry both coached wales before coming back here for AB's - no reason Rennie or whoever else is in the running can't do the same....?

Latest posts