• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 18 2013

I have been reading all the previous replies on this topic and for me it has both pros and contras.

From a financial side it's good that the Japanese will bring in some money on the other hand you're actually selling a pretty good product and as mentioned before the Japanese team will probably end last in the ranking for the coming seasons owing to lack of experience and "good" players if however they would buy a team then they might compete with the better teams and it can get interesting. Although, for me it would take a while to get used about the idea of a reformed S14.

Sportive view: For the Japanese it's a great opportunity to promote the sport and giving their Japanese players the opportunity to learn, exercise and grow on a high level, might become a decent team on international level. When being realistic we can all agree that it may be a very long and hard way for that team before they start having good results.

The idea of the SANZAR for searching new funds every year is nothing new, I think every year there are some rumors of what we consider strange ideas. But so far those ideas haven't being executed.

We will see what happens in the future, I will still support my team and the input of new enthusiastic people in the lovely game of rugby is something you can only support.

Could SA stand to have another team in there grouping? Why not try to assemble some players from other African countries? Good idea? Bad idea?

Japan is too far away of you want to include SA, Argentina is too far for the same reason. The economics will never allow a PI team. Argentinian sides should join an american league with Canada and the US, that's the only provincial competition that will work in the foreseeable future for the Argies. Also, to be honest, I wouldnt enjoy watching the Bulls or Blues violate a team of small japanese fellows and I don't think many others would either.

Economics and logistics make teams based in Japan, the PI and Argentina totally impractical. Unless they are based in one of the current Tri Nations, there is no way it could possibly work and still manage to keep SA, Aus and NZ in the same competition.

i think the issue of a poor performing team could be solved by a more looser and freer player contract system. The same issue applies for the australian teams. currently we can't even break the top 4 and if we introduced another team (hopefully in melbourne) the quality would be diluted even more. If we allow players to play for any team, then we can provide a more even distribution of players. Perhaps provide the japanese team with a greater salary cap to entice players.

If we allowed players to go where ever they like there would be no continuity in squads, you would see Drew Mitchell vs Matt Giteau in the worlds longest game of Musical Chairs.

I think maybe...realistically they could maybe bring a Japanese player (Ohata) onboard and maybe an American/Canadian/Argentinean player too/instead of too bring someone with some experience into a position that requires a lot of experience at Super rugby level.

Candidates that come to mind;

Paul Emerick
Mike Hercus (retired?)
Ohata

Also, how many players do you think would ditch Top 14 for Super rugby, I'm sure a few would jump ship at the chance to play in the SH if they could redeem there international availably. With enough money I think this could really work after a couple of seasons.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 5 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, how many players do you think would ditch Top 14 for Super rugby, I'm sure a few would jump ship at the chance to play in the SH if they could redeem there international availably. With enough money I think this could really work after a couple of seasons.[/b]

If it could somehow be achieved, I think that there would definately be far fewer players heading overseas if there was more money down here.

One more team for Australia : Melbourne Mongrels

One more for South Africa : E.P. Elephants

That brings it up to 16 at 6 teams for both SA and NZ and 4 for Aus.

Now bring in the Three from Argentina : Los Sliverados, Los Bandidos Malos e Los Cóndores de
Asesino de Argentina

Now start the Super N with preliminary elimination rounds in which the weakest ninies and drop
outs can be wacked straight out of the competition, but more importantly, so that the suit wearing
hoy poloy from these clubs / franchises that do not perform get a fiery financial fork in the rear end.
This also means that the spectators get better value for money and are not watching the round-ups
of some yahoo wanna be politician from the Southern Cape.

Now add the Fiji Fury, the Tonga Tanglers and the Samoa Specials.

Almost there...

Add 3 more teams exclusively from Africa - if for no other reason but to add flavour - an
international one that is.

Now, and this is big I admit, bring in linesman, referees and TMOs from Japan, Transnistria, Alaska
and Greenland. Emphasis should be placed on recruiting individuals from minority populations within
these outposts - as a final thrust in the attempt to reach out.

Finally, ensure that each team have at least one female player (preferably among the front or back
rows) in the inaugural year of the comp, and then two, three ... respectively in the following years.

Frankly it does not really matter what they do to expand ... can someone just tell me which pub to
go to and watch these games without having to wrestle a TV away from an NRL broadcast.

Latest posts