• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League 2020

higgik

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
After the World Cup, it is obvious that there needs to be some changes to Super League.

Firstly, it needs to go back to franchises so that clubs can plan further ahead than one season. This will allow clubs to play with more expanse and help develop the types of players that Tony Smith says we are missing, the playmakers.

Secondly, there needs to be a hard salary cap.

Finally, I would have less games to improve quality.

My plan would be 14 franchises in 2 conferences of 7, split equally.

The season would be home and away in conference (12 games)
Home or away v other conference (7 games)
Seeding game v equal seeded team from other conference (1 game)
Magic weekend (1 game)
This gives a total of 21 games.

Play offs would be
Round 1 - 2nd conference A v 3rd Conference B, 2nd conference B v 3rd conference A
Round 2 - 1st conference A v winner match 2, 1st conference B v winner match 1
Bye week
Grand final

Total season would be 25 weeks long, without Challenge Cup.

Franchising brought the game almost to its knees. Destroyed London and Bradford as top flight clubs without producing any replacements. Encouraged complacency in both clubs and players. The difference the return of P&R made should have been obvious in the performance of the England team in the World Cup. A return to this format would IMO kill the game completely in the next ten years.

RL really needs to re think its product, its dying on its feet as its all about the super league and sod the rest. I've watched games in the championship and league 1 this year and there is some good stuff being played by forward thinking teams.

Looking at the tables so far, what is the chances of 2 French and 1 Canadian teams in SL next year? Maybe that is what the owners were talking about when changing back to 1up 1down promotion relegation structure. The clubs in that group would give a wide coverage and better financial stability.

I think Toronto Wolfpack will be in super league next year personally I think super league needs to be a 14 team league with Toronto and Toulouse and And personally I feel that should be no promotion relegation for the international teams in at the super league because I don't have a championship.Or a could be a 16 team competition with New York and Ottawa.

I think Toronto Wolfpack will be in super league next year personally I think super league needs to be a 14 team league with Toronto and Toulouse and And personally I feel that should be no promotion relegation for the international teams in at the super league because I don't have a championship.Or a could be a 16 team competition with New York and Ottawa.
Issue at the moment is that RFL are asking for Toronto to pay to be in Super League, and they are in conversation with Catalan, Toulouse, Bradford about a rival set up.
The RFL have got to realise that if they forgot the TV money from US they will soon lose out.
They need to wake up and move out of the M62

The Wolfpack qualifying for Super League and potential new teams from Ottawa, Boston and New York entering the RFL system could be very big for the sport.

I wonder does Super League have the vision to make it work though? There's talk that Toronto won't receive a share of TV money when promoted. In the Championship they had to pay TV production costs for games in Lamport Stadium and pay for other teams to come over. Presumably they don't have a bottomless pit of money and if not given a fair shot, they could pack up and quit which would be a massive shame.

It's be brilliant to see London Broncos, Bradford Bulls and Toulouse Olympique make it to Super League/back to Super League in the not too distant future.

Latest posts