• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League: Round 2 - 20/21/22 Feb

V

Vambo

Fri 20 Feb
Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers
Hull Kingston Rovers v Leeds Rhinos (Sky)

Sat 21 Feb
Celtic Crusaders v Hull FC
Warrington Wolves v Catalans Dragons (Sky)

Sun 22 Feb
Huddersfield Giants v St. Helens
Wakefield Wildcats v Salford City Reds

looking forward to catching both of the sky games.
anyone know why sky don't show any of the sunday games?

not complaining as "boots n all" is pretty decent for catching up on all the weeks action.

Wigan to register their first win? Lets hope so.

Elsewhere....

Can Huddersfield back up their excellent win in France by getting one over the Stains? I reckon they just might.

With the WCC just around the corner surely Leeds will post another win. Hull KR will be boosted by their draw at Odsal and in front of their home fans will be looking to upset the odds.

Warrington V Catalan is a hard one to call. The Dragons have won there in the past (lets not mention the cup!!!!) and Wire have a habit of going ***s up for a few weeks after losses to Stains. If pushed I reckon... home win.

Trinity should have too much for Salford after a tough start to the season and still reeling from the death of Watene. Could be emotional at Belle Vue.

Can the Crusaders do themselves justice at home to Hull?

If Crusaders decided to play for 80 minutes that game could be a good one.

If Saints turn up for 80 minutes we should win, but we traditionally struggle at Huddersfield.

Wigan WILL win.

Hi Guys,

Im new to the board so this is my first post wahey ;)

Fri 20 Feb

Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers

I think Castleford will struggle this season, they still look very light weight in the middle of the pack for me. Away from home I can't see them stepping to the front and controlling games.

Wigan, whilst they have struggled to register points, I think the first two dissapointing results, will be enough motivation to see Noble's men cruise to victory in front of their faithful at the JJB.

Prediction: Wigan win.

Hull Kingston Rovers v Leeds Rhinos

Sunday's last minute draw against the Bulls, will give KR some much needed confidence heading into this weeks round against the Champions.

Hull KR were a tough cookie to break down at Craven Park last season and I can see that trend continuing, this season. If they can correct their away form they are in for a sneaky shout to make the play-offs this season I reckon.

Leeds will no dount have Manly on their minds, and I believe its a great time for anytime to play the Rhino's at the minute, some key players missing and judging by last weeks performance we are grinding out victories.

Therefore this will be a tought test for the Champions, but no doubt it will prove to be a cracker in front of the camera's for the neutrals.

Prediction: Leeds win - Just.

Sat 21 Feb

Celtic Crusaders v Hull FC

Celtic have shown glimpses of what they are all about. I was impressed by the spirit the welshmen showed away at Salford. Had it not been for the injury suffered to Jace Van Djik I feel they would have had enough grind and bump to go on and take the game.

After two long consectutive journey's to either side of the pennines, the Crusaders can finally begin their Super League campaign back home at Bridgend against the black and white.

Hull played out a good contest against the Warriors last time out and from what I have heard look sharp. They defend front and attack from the back and Richard Agar's men have showing signs of improvement from what was a dissapointing season last time out.

However, im going to go with Celtic in front of their home crowd on this one, I reckon another week on the training ground and the determination to prove their critics wrong, will see them through this one.

Prediction: Celtic win.

Warrington Wolves v Catalans Dragons

James Lowes must still be feeling the frustation of losing to the Saints last week, several points on the board and a poor second half performance in front of their whitewash and a few moments of brilliant from St Helens cost them another victory at Knowlesly Road.

I must admit I was on awe of the Wolves first half performance, they dominated the saints for long periods and showed us all what they have to offer. However consitency is not one of the Wovles forte's and that proved to be the case again.

Lowes will be demanding and improved performance based on their second half last week, and I think the Wolves will deliver against the Dragons.

Whilst the Dragons have a good record against the Wolves, I think the transition period of Kevin Walters getting to grips with the southern french team still isn't all that it should be. The Dragons were outclassed against Huddersfield and I think that setback will see them suffer against an angry Warrington side, desperate to put their wrong doing's right.

Prediction: Warrington Win.

Sun 22 Feb

Huddersfield Giants v St. Helens

Saints traditionally struggle at the Galpharm and this should be an interesting contest.

Despite Saints, first half performance against Warrington, I still think Mick Potters men ouze quality and class at times. A fantastic performance from Matt Gidley saw the Saints come good and Mick Potter will be hoping for the same again. However it's important Sean Long puts his kicking boots on this week, after a terrrible display of kicking last time out.

Huddersfield brushed aside a poor Catalans team away from home, however I just dont see enough in their squad to maintain a serious push for the play-offs. Once up against the big boys in the league I can see their front line struggling to carve out points.

I fancy Saints to push on from their opening day win to chalk their first victory away from home on the board.

Prediciton: St Helens Win.

Wakefield Wildcats v Salford City Reds

Tough game to call this one.

Last time out Wakefield were defeated against Leeds, but looked quite resilient in stages and posed a threat going forward. John Kear has got them playing some good solid Rugby and will still be hyped by their opening day victory against Wigan, especially considering the amount of abscentee's.

Salford played some of the best Rugby League, I've seen them play against Celtic for the first 30 minutes and I was shocked to see how far they had come along. Despite a brief come back, McRae's men had enough about them to finish the job off and get the two points. If hooker Malcom Alker can continue to produce quality I can see Salford becoming one of the suprise packages this season.

Prediction - Salford Win - Wakefield running out of steam towards the end.

I can't believe that Wigan lost again. I know they're short on form and confidence but I wouldn't expect Classy Cas to win there. Like going back in time to the 2005.

Hull KR - Leeds was a good game, Hull KR just didn't have enough but they give Leeds a real fright.

Hull were robbed by the TMO IMO. Once that happened, Leeds countered, got the score and Rovers tails went between their legs. Shame, I thought an upset was on the cards until that point.

Only positive for Wigan was Shaun Ainscough who should hopefully start to see more first team action and not just when injury dictates it.

Hull KR will trouble every team. I thought Briscoe was excellent as was the youngster Welham and Rovers did enough to win most games but you have to give credit to Leeds for the win. Great kick from Sinfield after such a long break in play.

Crikey... the Aussie ref (Robinson) is dreadful so far in the Wire v Catalans game and he's doing the WCC next week. Be worried Leeds... be very worried!

wigan look like a crock of **** this year...

Leeds & St Helens, on the other hand, look awesome.

I was at the Quins vs Manly game earlier and I was beginning to think Quins were looking like a very good side at half time. 20-0 up and Wells and Orr looked fantastic.

Then Manly whipped off their B team, but the 1st XIII on and bang bang win the game 34-26. Their backplay was in a completely different league.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 22 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
wigan look like a crock of **** this year...

Leeds & St Helens, on the other hand, look awesome.

I was at the Quins vs Manly game earlier and I was beginning to think Quins were looking like a very good side at half time. 20-0 up and Wells and Orr looked fantastic.

Then Manly whipped off their B team, but the 1st XIII on and bang bang win the game 34-26. Their backplay was in a completely different league.[/b]

The WCC next sunday is gonna be hard to call. Manly DESTROYED Melbourne in the NRL Grand Final 40 - 0 and they were superb in every aspect of the game and if they take just a fraction of that intensity amd skill level into the Leeds game then the Rhinos will have to be at their very best to get over them.

Manly are going to trouble Leeds next week.

As for Saints, that's a really good win for us today. We traditionally really, really struggle at their place and that's a top win.

It does have the makings of "The Year of the Warrior" which has been every season since 1998. Away game at Quins on saturday, that could go either way.

Latest posts