• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Super Rugby 2017] South African Teams - Pre-Season

Results of the weekend's warm-ups:

Stormers 43 - 7 Cheetahs
Bulls 38 - 17 Lions

Don't think we can take much out of this warm-up as both teams fielded more than 30 players during the match. And used mostly their fringe players the whole time. I think the coming 2 weeks' warm-ups will be more a reflection of the team and how they'll play.

Also good news out of the Bulls camp is that Handre Pollard has been named captain for the season, with Hanro Liebenberg as vice-captain.

- - - Updated - - -

Stormers 43 - 7 Cheetahs
Bulls 38 - 17 Lions

Don't think we can take much out of this warm-up as both teams fielded more than 30 players during the match. And used mostly their fringe players the whole time. I think the coming 2 weeks' warm-ups will be more a reflection of the team and how they'll play.

Also good news out of the Bulls camp is that Handre Pollard has been named captain for the season, with Hanro Liebenberg as vice-captain.

Stormers 43 - 7 Cheetahs
Bulls 38 - 17 Lions

- - - Updated - - -

Stormers 43 - 7 Cheetahs
Bulls 38 - 17 Lions

As a Stormers supporter it's just nice to see tries being scored so hopefully having the Kiwi coach had an impact, but of course you can't really read anything into these games.

I really don't know what to expect this season, I'm hoping for the best, but am not expecting much of a playoff run if any.

As a Stormers supporter it's just nice to see tries being scored so hopefully having the Kiwi coach had an impact, but of course you can't really read anything into these games.

I really don't know what to expect this season, I'm hoping for the best, but am not expecting much of a playoff run if any.

Well, I think it will be very tough for the Stormers, Bulls and Cheetahs to make the playoffs this year as they all face the NZ sides. I see the Bulls for example will play only 2 games in NZ, and then on their way back to SA will play against the Sunwolves plus, they don't have to play the Jaguares in Argentina...

So, Supersport has announced that they will be broadcasting Friday night's warm-up match between the Sharks and the Cheetahs. Kick-off will be at 18:30

I hate these warm ups. Although it is necessary for fitness and coordination, its usually the games that we lose our best players for the season. They should wrap Lambie in wool and keep him as far away as possible from this game. My only wish is to complete a full Super rugby season without injuries to most of our best players.

Yup old Lambie is truly a porcelain poodle, hope he stays injury free

To be fair if Lambie can't last three warm up games then he won't last an entire season of Super Rugby.

We just have to hope everyone stays fit, would be nice if Lambie, Pollard (and even Rob du Preez) could be injury fit. Jantjies has been found wanting at an international level.

With this afternoons game between the Sharks and the Cheetahs it will be exciting to see who comes out on top especially in the first half as it would pit most of the final winning currie cup team of the Cheetahs vs the likely Super Rugby team of the Sharks ( Bar a few guys like Reinacht). We might get an indication tonight whether the Cheetahs can replicate the lions of last year and take that unbeaten Currie Cup campaign into Super rugby.

There are two teams chosen for the game by each team. The first game will be just 60 mins and consists of predominantly second team players, after that those players will make up the subs for the second game which will be 80 mins and consist of most of the potential Super rugby starters. Presumably some of the players from the first game should be subbed in after the 60 min mark in the second game.

Game 1
Sharks
15 Rhyno Smith, 14 S'bura Sithole, 13 Johan Deysel, 12 Jeremy Ward, 11 Sbu Nkosi, 10 Inny Radebe, 9 Hanci Venter, 8 Tera Mtembu (captain), 7 Jean Deysel, 6 Francois Kleinhans, 5 Hyron Andrews, 4 Wian Vosloo, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Stephan Coetzee, 1 John-Hubert Meyer
Substitutes: 16 Juan Schoeman, 17 Gerhard Engelbrecht, 18 John Droste, 19 Khaya Majola, 20 Jacques Vermeulen, 21 Rohan Gouws, 22 Benhard Janse van Rensburg, 23 Odwa Ndungane, 24 Marius Louw, 25 Tristan Blewett, 26 Morne Joubert, 27 Garth April
VS
Cheetahs
15 Ryno Eksteen, 14 JP Smith, 13 Joubert Engelbrecht, 12 Ali Mgijima, 11 Ruan van Rensburg, 10 Fred Zeilinga, 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Junior Pokomela, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Boom Prinsloo, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Dennis Visser, 2 Erich de Jager, 1 Ox Nche

Game 2
Sharks
15 Curwin Bosch, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie (captain), 9 Michael Claassens, 8 Keegan Daniel, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Philip van der Walt, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Coenie Oothuizen, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Juan Schoeman, 17 Franco Marais, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Jean Droste, 20 Hyron Andrews, 21 Francois Kleinhans, 22 Jacques Vermeulen, 23 Tera Mtembu, 24 Cobus Reinach, 25 Benhard Janse van Rensburg, 26 Sbu Nkosi, 27 Jeremy Ward, 28 Johan Deysel, 29 S'bura Sithole, 30 Clement Poitrenaud

vs
Cheetahs

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Nico Lee, 12 Clinton Swart, 11 Rayno Benjamin, 10 Niel Marais, 9 Shaun Venter, 8 Niell Jordaan, 7 Uzair Cassiem, 6 Paul Schoeman, 5 Reniel Hugo, 4 Armandt Koster, 3 Johan Coetzee, 2 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 1 Charles Marais

Hoping for no injuries

Last edited:
As a surprise this will be on SuperSport1 at 18H30

For the Bulls and the Bokke, having Pollard return is a massive boost. He's a fine young player of quality international calibre.

The Bulls have won their second warm-up match against the Chiefs earlier today. Winning the game 28-7, of which one of the Bulls tries was a penalty try.

This was also the first match of their tour to NZ and Aus for the warm-ups.

They will feature this weekend in the 10's tournament.

Stormers beat the Lions this weekend with a 57-40 scoreline. A couple of concerns have risen for me already. Firstly as a Stormers supporter we seem a lot more leaky than we have been previously. I know we still won this game, but I feel this is an area we have gone downhill with over the year. Secondly, more injuries! We haven't even started the season but we are already down 2 flankers (neither really in contention for starting really) our starting wing in Zas who is out for a year with a broken leg and De Jongh who has done his knee in for 12 weeks. We are fine in the centres I think, but am concerned about our outside backs. I know we just took on Basson which will be great for the average height of the back three and our aerial game, but concerned with our depth outside of our starters.

Stormers beat the Lions this weekend with a 57-40 scoreline. A couple of concerns have risen for me already. Firstly as a Stormers supporter we seem a lot more leaky than we have been previously. I know we still won this game, but I feel this is an area we have gone downhill with over the year. Secondly, more injuries! We haven't even started the season but we are already down 2 flankers (neither really in contention for starting really) our starting wing in Zas who is out for a year with a broken leg and De Jongh who has done his knee in for 12 weeks. We are fine in the centres I think, but am concerned about our outside backs. I know we just took on Basson which will be great for the average height of the back three and our aerial game, but concerned with our depth outside of our starters.
Honestly De Jongh getting injured is fine, he's a trooper but it's probably time we gave someone new a chance anyway. The only question is who we play, both Dan du Plessis and Kriel are 12's as far as I know. EW Viljoen maybe?

As for outside backs losing Zas is definitely a loss, our best OB last year in my opinion. That said we are covered for now, we have SP Marais and Joe Pietersen in at fullback cover so we can always shift Kolbe to the wing. In any case Leyds and Sentala are a decent start.

The Bulls have announced their 46-man Super Rugby squad for 2017:

Backs

Ulrich Beyers, Warrick Gelant, Jesse Kriel, Travis Ismaiel, Luther Obi, Jamba Ulengo, Jade Stighling, Duncan Matthews, Kefentse Mahlo, Sibahle Maxwane, Johnny Kotze, Dries Swanepoel, Burger Odendaal, JT Jackson, Jan Serfontein, Francois Brummer, Tony Jantjies, Tian Schoeman, Handre Pollard, Ivan van Zyl, Piet van Zyl, Rudy Paige, Andre Warner

Forwards

Hanro Liebenberg, Arno Botha, Nick de Jager, Renaldo Bothma, Jannes Kirsten, Jacques Potgieter, Roelof Smit, Shaun Adendorff, Ruan Steenkamp, Lood de Jager, RG Snyman, Jason Jenkins, Trevor Nyakane, Conraad van Vuuren, John-Roy Jenkinson, Martin Dreyer, Jacobie Adriaanse, Pierre Schoeman, Lizo Gqoboko, Adriaan Strauss, Edgar Marutlulle, Corniel Els, Jaco Visagie

Players in: Johnny Kotze (Stormers), Jacques Potgieter (Sharks), Conraad van Vuuren (Free State).

Players out: SP Marais, Bjorn Basson, Dan Kriel (all Stormers), Lappies Labuschagne, Deon Stegmann, Grant Hattingh (all Japan), Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, Marcel van der Merwe (both France), Werner Kruger (Wales), Callie Visagie, Bandise Maku (retired)

Now that squad has me excited, and what I like about the squad is the balance where the players will complement each other. Just look at our loose forward group, we finally have a set of fetchers in Roelof Smit, Nic De Jager and Ruan Steenkamp. Then we have good blindside flanker that can do the donkey work like Jannes Kirsten and Jacques Potgieter, and then we have some ball carriers like Renaldo Bothma and Shaun Adendorff and Hanro Liebenberg.

I'm now very excited.

Last edited:
Sharks' 45-man Super Rugby squad

Forwards: Beast Mtawarira, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Coenie Oosthuizen, Daniel du Preez, Etienne Oosthuizen, Franco Marais, Francois Kleinhans, Hyron Andrews, Jacques Vermeulen, Jean Deysel, Jean Droste, Jean-Luc du Preez, John-Hubert Meyer, Juan Schoeman, Keegan Daniel, Khaya Majola, Lourens Adriaanse, Philip van der Walt, Ruan Botha, Stephan Coetzee, Stephan Lewies, Tera Mtembu, Thomas du Toit

Backs: Andre Esterhuizen, Benhard Janse van Rensburg, Clement Poitrenaud, Cobus Reinach, Curwin Bosch, Garth April, Hanco Venter, Inny Radebe, Jeremy Ward, Johan Deysel, Kobus van Wyk, Lukhanyo Am, Lwazi Mvovo, Marius Louw, Michael Claassens, Odwa Ndungane, Pat Lambie (captain), Rhyno Smith, Rowan Gouws, S'bura Sithole, Sbu Nkosi, Tristan Blewett

Lions' 40-man Super Rugby squad:

Justin Ackerman, Ruan Ackermann, Fabian Booysen, Cyle Brink, Andries Coetzee, Robbie Coetzee, Ruan Combrinck, Ross Cronje, Hacjivah Dayimani, Faf de Klerk, Ruan Dreyer, Lourens Erasmus, Andries Ferreira, Corne Fourie, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Elton Jantjies, Johannes Jonker, Jaco Kriel, Robert Kruger, Sylvain Mahuza, Lionel Mapoe, Malcolm Marx, Howard Mnisi, Franco Mostert, Jacques Nel, Marvin Orie, Shaun Reynolds, Sitembiso Sithole, Courtnall Skosan, Dillon Smit, Kwagga Smith, Dylan Smith, Michael Tambwe, Armand van der Merwe, Jaco van der Walt, Jacques van Rooyen, Hencus van Wyk, Anthony Volmink, Harold Vorster, Warren Whiteley

Latest posts