• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Aotearoa: Round 5 - [11 - 12 July 2020]

It's going to be hella gusty at the game, and there is a heavy rain warning but with luck that will hit after the game. It's not stopping me from going though.

Oh, I thought you were just listing those unavailable due to injury, guess you were more looking at who is unavailable for this game but could come back later.

Yeah, although I'm not sure it was the charge down itself that changed the match, rather it was how mounga decided to ride and maintain the crowds energy from that charge down.

scary thing is, they have rarely got out of third gear all season, except in moments. 4th gear perhaps for 20 consecutive minutes at the end of this one, with moments of 5th.

the comp is going to ramp up from here, as it always takes teams 4 or so games to find their flow. hopefully A few teams can beat the crusaders so the comp isn't decided before round ten.
It's was more people that we either don't know why theyre not there or we keep getting teased they come back...and then don't

Last edited:
Looked like the highlanders worst game of the season. Some pretty bad decision making at times, but some good defence at times. I wondered if they'd struggle to get up after last week.

as for the canes, fletcher smith was better than garden bachop, tj looked brilliant at first five late in the game, again, Asafo Aumua played easily his best game I've seen him play. Man if the match for me.

pretty sloppy game all round.
I think all these teams need 'practice' games against Australian teams like they do in normal super rugby, to help them find their cohesion and flow.

I think we showed some promise, towards did some great work and the backs actually made some meters...just did t do them in the same plays
Nuggie needs to take control...fast fast slow...just because our loosies have had a couple of breaks or we've landed a couple of 50/50 passes doesn't mean we'll do it a third time. Make the break, make another and then SLOW IT, build pressure

also, kick for territory!

both hunts had great games, Mitch made half a dozen clean breaks and successfully connected with runners

What's wrong with the Highlanders ? They look really flat. Hurricanes were just better on the day. Also, those two disallowed tries at the beginning both for obstruction at opposite ends, that was just crazy. When do you see that in a game ? That never happens. :D

What's wrong with the Highlanders ? They look really flat. Hurricanes were just better on the day. Also, those two disallowed tries at the beginning both for obstruction at opposite ends, that was just crazy. When do you see that in a game ? That never happens. :D
The Highlanders looked flat, but they played better in the second half. The game was never really in doubt though, it was the Hurricanes night for sure.

Last edited:
I think two things (pretty impressive huh): 1. last week was a huge game against their neighbours, they looked likely for much of the much only to get smoked at the end. Pretty demoralising. It was always going to be hard to get up for this one. 2. Ahh, can't remember the second one, so I'm going to make something up... basically, it comes down to Aaron Smith not having the best game. 3. None of the teams have really gelled yet, I honestly reckon it's because they haven't had weak opposition to practice against. Also, they have only played 4 games and without a preseason.
4. the hurricanes really did their best to give the highlanders every chance, but the highlanders were even more gentlemenly, not wanting to spoil the occasion for the crowd they made several poor decisions and executed their skills ineptly.

beudy is wasted at 15. agree with sBarnes

its not rocket surgery, we had a huge turn over after last season including one of the best fullbacks in the world, the guys that have come through are either young and inexperienced or having to play at the top of their game just to keep up, finally we've had loads of injuries and the current format means there are no easy games for these young guys to cut their teeth

its not rocket surgery, we had a huge turn over after last season including one of the best fullbacks in the world, the guys that have come through are either young and inexperienced or having to play at the top of their game just to keep up, finally we've had loads of injuries and the current format means there are no easy games for these young guys to cut their teeth
lost 2 of the best players around in benSmith and waisakeNaholo
naholo never shouldve been dropped last WC

Ultimately went how I thought... Clinical Mo'unga, he always shows up in big games, been my pick for ABs #10 for awhile.

Not to blame him because the ABs were poor as a whole but his defensive game was really shown up in that World Cup SF. Crusaders are a different beast. Kind of think they'd have done better in that game lol.

Latest posts