• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby attendance 2020

rooster

Academy Player
Country Flag
Poland
So it's another year that we don't have information about official attendance at matches. I sent a couple of e-mails here and there, but the only thing i learned was that NZ Rugby policy is not to publish any info in this matter...

Maybe you guys have any observations? Is it better or worse than last year? Sunwolves had quite decent (i think) crowd numbers against Chiefs - 18,708, but Waratahs got a franchise-low figure of below 7,500, and Lions (against Reds) - 4,800!

So it's another year that we don't have information about official attendance at matches. I sent a couple of e-mails here and there, but the only thing i learned was that NZ Rugby policy is not to publish any info in this matter...

Maybe you guys have any observations? Is it better or worse than last year? Sunwolves had quite decent (i think) crowd numbers against Chiefs - 18,708, but Waratahs got a franchise-low figure of below 7,500, and Lions (against Reds) - 4,800!

The wiki page keeps track of the majority of attendances.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2020_Super_Rugby_matches
Best attendance so far has been 27k for Stormers at home vs Bulls, with Stormers home matches seeming to have significantly more attendance than most other stadiums (next best not at Newlands: Sunwolves Chiefs, 18.7k)

Rugby attendance in the Southern Hemisphere really relies on how well the team is doing. In terms of overall attendance it's hard to tell; after accounting for any trend, overall attendance will be higher in years where the teams are doing well whose main stadium is near a large population centre. Or a place where there are many potential attendees, eg if the bulls, the lions, the blues are doing well

The wiki page keeps track of the majority of attendances.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2020_Super_Rugby_matches
Best attendance so far has been 27k for Stormers at home vs Bulls, with Stormers home matches seeming to have significantly more attendance than most other stadiums (next best not at Newlands: Sunwolves Chiefs, 18.7k)

Also bare in mind that on the weekend of the Stormers vs. Bulls game, it was the Match in Africa where Federer played against Nadal on the Friday. My grandmother of 86 got a present from us as a family to fly over to Cape Town to watch the tennis match, and then she also went with my cousins to the Rugby game on Saturday.

But overall I think the attendances for SA games have been better since last year. Even the Bulls vs. Blues match was well attended, even with the heavy rains on Friday and Saturday.

To be honest, I'd rather be at home watching all games than going a stadium and pay for a family of four, with parking, food and drinks.
Have done it before but the desire to do it every year fades as the interest in this tournament fades at the same time.

This is my view only but I would not mind to see the SA teams playing in EU based competitions going forward, Super rugby is starting to get old
I still watch it, still enjoy it cause I love the game

I'd rather see us having tours every few years playing Aus and Nz on International level, than seeing a useless formatted Super Rugby year after year

To be honest, I'd rather be at home watching all games than going a stadium and pay for a family of four, with parking, food and drinks.
Have done it before but the desire to do it every year fades as the interest in this tournament fades at the same time.

This is my view only but I would not mind to see the SA teams playing in EU based competitions going forward, Super rugby is starting to get old
I still watch it, still enjoy it cause I love the game

I'd rather see us having tours every few years playing Aus and Nz on International level, than seeing a useless formatted Super Rugby year after year

If I had lived in a town where the stadium was close-by, I would have season tickets to be at the games. But alas, Pretoria is the closest town for me, and that's 280km away. I try to watch at least one game a year, either Super Rugby or a Springbok game. Being at the stadium is just a different experience than being at home.

But I do think the Stadium's need to look at ways to attract more people to the stadiums, I know for example, that Loftus Versfeld or the BBRU have an agreement with the Schools that participate in the local/provincial rugby and hockey tournaments that when most of the teams play their games in Pretoria, and there is a game at Loftus, that the school kids may enter the stadium for free if they wear their school uniforms, which is always a nice way for the kids to end off their trip.

Points well made Hein, I am fortunate and have watched more than 50 Bokke games live, the rest is just not on the same level
On the schools yes they are making an effort at Loftus, my son gets a ticket behind the poles low down sometimes, only one ticket.
If I take the other three I am not going to sit there , sorry

Latest posts