• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2022)

i'll just point out that one that was posted last week, that they didn't even penalised, so if anything its closer to the precedent thats been set in super rugby, obviously very different to whats being done elsewhere and even in their own rules as we talked about

Looks like I'm a Highlanders fan now, with Solomona named on the bench for them this week, and Bryn Evans starting

Jordie starting at 12! I've been wanting to see him with bailyn Sullivan - potential all black combo there (in my mind, not going to happen though). Bailyn is on the bench so hopefully they'll get time together. Of course poor Jordie, who wants to play 12, guaranteed himself the 15 position for the all blacks with his performances last year, so there's little chance he'll be played at 12. Hopefully jordan can make some improvements under the high ball.

Frustrating game from the highlanders. But that's a great defensive lineout - Josh Dickson, Bryn hall, Shannon frizell, Marino mikaele-tu'u

Jordie starting at 12! I've been wanting to see him with bailyn Sullivan - potential all black combo there (in my mind, not going to happen though). Bailyn is on the bench so hopefully they'll get time together. Of course poor Jordie, who wants to play 12, guaranteed himself the 15 position for the all blacks with his performances last year, so there's little chance he'll be played at 12. Hopefully jordan can make some improvements under the high ball.

How come? Would he not be any better than Havilli or Tupaea? Especially as ABs have options of McKenzie and Jordan at full back.

It's just an interesting dynamic to add on top of everything imo - it's not reckless to me despite the head contact
Jordie got red carded catching the ball and flicking out his leg and making contact with opponent's head. Reckless? Don't think he was even aware of it and got sent off.

That's a clear red card for me.
Once you jump up in the air you have a duty of care to the other players on the whole.

IMO Clark never really looked at the ball his, he started to jump before the ball was even kicked, his hands never made a real attempt at blocking the ball and his eyes always seemed to be on the player.
I might be wrong but willing to bet he was always looking to stop the attacking player by making it look like a charge down more than anything else, and he hit another player with force to the head with his knee.
Do I think he meant to hit the player in the head with his knee nope do I think he was reckless yes.

*thinks we're going to need a red card catch-all thread before long*

I agree Jordie should definitely get a red for that. Clark definitely should too. So clumsy and wreckless.

Generally, the only reds I have sympathy with are those clearing out the ruck if the other guy moves, otherwise 9/10 should be easy to coach out of the game over time.

1000s of high balls are caught each weekend without putting your studs 7 feet in the air. It's dangerous and if you do it you run the risk of getting red carded. Good to see him getting sent for that and I hope he gets a decent ban. Completely unnecessary and isn't needed to play the ball. Accidentally hitting a dude in the head sometimes happens when you make a tackle at high speed, karate kicking a dude should never happen in a rugby game.

How come? Would he not be any better than Havilli or Tupaea? Especially as ABs have options of McKenzie and Jordan at full back.
Two reasons: first, as stated, Jordies efforts under the high ball last year will mean the selectors want him at fullback. Second, I don't think Sullivan will make the all blacks because at this stage in the cycle they won't want to introduce another fresh midfielder, apart from RTS.

In this game tupaea played better than Jordie. It wasn't the success I had hoped.

Jamie booth not fit; hurricanes couldn't make the comeback because ruck after ruck booth couldn't get to the ruck in time, that's disappointing.
Jordie got red carded catching the ball and flicking out his leg and making contact with opponent's head. Reckless? Don't think he was even aware of it and got sent off.

But he wasn't suspended for it - ie the judiciary basically implied it shouldn't have been a red.
Once you jump up in the air you have a duty of care to the other players on the whole.

IMO Clark never really looked at the ball his, he started to jump before the ball was even kicked, his hands never made a real attempt at blocking the ball and his eyes always seemed to be on the player.
I might be wrong but willing to bet he was always looking to stop the attacking player by making it look like a charge down more than anything else, and he hit another player with force to the head with his knee.
Do I think he meant to hit the player in the head with his knee nope do I think he was reckless yes.
I actually thought he was close to being able to charge that down, and the reason he didn't get close was because he brought his hands down as he realised there was going to be a collision. But I could be wrong, that's just what it looked like to me.

Two reasons: first, as stated, Jordies efforts under the high ball last year will mean the selectors want him at fullback. Second, I don't think Sullivan will make the all blacks because at this stage in the cycle they won't want to introduce another fresh midfielder, apart from RTS.

In this game tupaea played better than Jordie. It wasn't the success I had hoped.

Jamie booth not fit; hurricanes couldn't make the comeback because ruck after ruck booth couldn't get to the ruck in time, that's disappointing.

But he wasn't suspended for it - ie the judiciary basically implied it shouldn't have been a red.

I actually thought he was close to being able to charge that down, and the reason he didn't get close was because he brought his hands down as he realised there was going to be a collision. But I could be wrong, that's just what it looked like to me.
Should have mentioned, Jordie hit Josh ione direct to the head, and Josh had to go off because of it. Would have been at least a yellow if the refs saw it. Could be cited during the week

watched the first half of chiefs hurricanes (I think last night- I was on my cycling trainer) and the Sky Sports presentation is the best thing I've seen in sports in awhile. Glad I finally found out what streaming service is showing the games here in the states. Pregame show actually focuses on the game and highlights the players. Good to see.

this is where it gets complicated i think, we often talk about actually protecting the player in the air, you can jump over a crowd of people to try and catch a ball and its everyone else's job to make sure you come down safe...complicated

Thoughts on this anyone?

Here's my thoughts on this and all other extensive TMO enquiries, echoing exactly what Tim Horan said on The Breakdown rugby show in NZ earlier this week.

We sit watching Super Rugby on SKY Sport NZ. At the same time on other channels you have a variety of sports, including live Rugby League and Aussie Rules. When a rugby game is stopped for five minutes of replays, searching for foul play, I go to the remote and change to a sport which deals with similar in a far less time consuming manner or (in the case of AFL) after the game is concluded.

Say what you like about Aussie Rules, it keeps moving. When a goal is scored (unless they think it touched on the line), it's a goal. Celebrations are immediate, no TMO, no VAR, etc, and that for me makes it the best winter sport going around.

Here's my thoughts on this and all other extensive TMO enquiries, echoing exactly what Tim Horan said on The Breakdown rugby show in NZ earlier this week.

We sit watching Super Rugby on SKY Sport NZ. At the same time on other channels you have a variety of sports, including live Rugby League and Aussie Rules. When a rugby game is stopped for five minutes of replays, searching for foul play, I go to the remote and change to a sport which deals with similar in a far less time consuming manner or (in the case of AFL) after the game is concluded.

Say what you like about Aussie Rules, it keeps moving. When a goal is scored (unless they think it touched on the line), it's a goal. Celebrations are immediate, no TMO, no VAR, etc, and that for me makes it the best winter sport going around.
im become a huge fan of the AFL, just as a sport i enjoy as much as Rugby and often the only thing that keeps me following rugby is my history following my teams...which is a bit sad now i say it

Latest posts