Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
1618355633070.png

also comments Aussie has been involved, might we see one team join AU and one Join NZ and keep some sort of play offs between the two comps?

That's good news, I'm a Fiji fan in waiting. :cool: I think Fiji will be in the AU division or whatever it's going to be called and Pasifika will be in the NZ division. Just a guess...

1618359189484.png

Last edited:
these new teams are going to have a hard road, there will have to be some interesting rules around how the recruit, its hard to imagine there are two full squads of Super level players without current contracts,

will they be allowed to recruit from the exciting teams?
is that fair on the existing teams if they've developed these players
Will the existing teams be able to protects a certain number of players and the rest will be open to negotiate?
where will Moana Pasifika play? supposedly NZ and so you would think in an area with large pacific islander population, this is quite possibly south auckland, is jamming a team in between the blues and chiefs a good idea?

"two Pasifika teams joining NZR's existing five Sky Super Rugby Aotearoa clubs and Rugby Australia's (RA) five Super Rugby AU teams in a new tournament being planned for 2022" might not even be segregated, might be one big comp

"two Pasifika teams joining NZR's existing five Sky Super Rugby Aotearoa clubs and Rugby Australia's (RA) five Super Rugby AU teams in a new tournament being planned for 2022" might not even be segregated, might be one big comp
I think one big comp is the best way to go. I wonder how many teams they'll have in the playoffs?

Last edited:
I'm curious too as to who pays the contracts. Actually I do t really know how it works now in super rugby. I'm pretty sure NZ super rugby teams have a limit on international players. Will that still be the same for moana Pacifica? I presume not. I presume it will be relaxed such that they can have as many players they want that play for pacific nations, or NZ.

but yeah may be a blow for the blues. Now there'll be the blues, moana Pacifica, and the warriors competing for fans. and players.

I think one big comp is the best way to go. I wonder how many teams they'll have in the playoffs?
I disagree. In Aus viewing numbers have shot up since we cut off from NZ (and signed with Stan) . I think international games will actually bring more interest if there are less of them, as well.

There's not a lot to be gained by getting thumped by NZ teams all season. I actually think the Wallabies form improved a smidge just by having a little more confidence last year.

The Fiji Drua team were formed to participate in the Australian NRC comp (and actually won it). Makes the mosr sense to have them play here in a split comp in my opinion.

I also have little interest im thr Pasifika side. Seems like an Auckland based pacifika side basically already exists (Blues)

think i agree on all fronts, would have rather that had chosen the Hawaiian option...at least that would be a new market

as it stands two pools with a top four play off could be good, some cross over but only of teams that would hope would be close in level

think i agree on all fronts, would have rather that had chosen the Hawaiian option...at least that would be a new market

as it stands two pools with a top four play off could be good, some cross over but only of teams that would hope would be close in level
Top four playoff is what I'm hoping for. That's the format they use in Major League Rugby and they also have 12 teams. They'll be expanding again next year, so it might change?

Last edited:
Top four playoff is what I'm hoping for. That's the format they use in Major League Rugby and they also have 12 teams. They'll be expanding again next year, so it might change?
you mean MLR is expanding again and might change?

you mean MLR is expanding again and might change?
Yes. They'll be adding more teams next year and might expand the playoffs. An official decision won't be announced until this season is over. I could see expanding the playoffs by a couple of teams when MLR gets up to 18 teams, but not before then. I don't know exactly how many teams they'll be adding though. I heard a podcast interview with the Commissioner and he said it could be as many as 6. Dallas Jackals will be joining next year for sure, they've already paid the entrance fee. The other teams are still in the planning stage. He talked about another team in Canada and the possibility of one in Mexico, with the others in the USA.

Yes. They'll be adding more teams next year and might expand the playoffs. An official decision won't be announced until this season is over. I could see expanding the playoffs by a couple of teams when MLR gets up to 18 teams, but not before then. I don't know exactly how many teams they'll be adding though. I heard a podcast interview with the Commissioner and he said it could be as many as 6. Dallas Jackals will be joining next year for sure, they've already paid the entrance fee. The other teams are still in the planning stage. He talked about another team in Canada and the possibility of one in Mexico, with the others in the USA.
cool, got a bit confused and thought you were talking about SR and we were getting even more teams next year or something

Think keeping the single cross over round would be enough. That would mean a 16 game season with Top 4 play offs.
Would also make the final a special event at predetermined venue like we do in NH.

Also agree with Hawaii as base for Moana Pasifika, more potential for fan base and investment.

255046728_436011491214028_259433778321491021_n.jpg

already pencilled in two games for the Highlanders in Melbourne!

Heritage, Cultural and women in rugby rounds might mean some cool new jerseys

Fiji dura released their jersey…it's another blue one…seven of the 12 teams will have blue home jerseys and maybe moana's too as all the supporter gear they've released is blue

Alternate jerseys have become the most interesting thing as in the last few years there have been so many clashes we've worm them more than home ones

1637140957528.png

and full squads have been released

A couple of surprises for the Highlanders, no Naholo or Vahaakolo who i thought had done everything ask of him to pick up a spot, same for ricky Jackson, very strong NPC covering for Coltman while injured

1637529336100.png

1637529361643.png

Moana Pasifika have released their jerseys....and its blue

2022_Moana_Pasifika_Mens_Replica_Home_Jersey_MPJRM22501_front_900x.jpg
2022_Moana_Pasifika_Mens_Replica_Away_Jersey_MPJRM22502_front_900x.jpg

dont get me wrong, theyre cool but i wish they'd gone with the white one as the home jersey

last year was better in my mind

mens-moana-pasifika-pro-jersey-p6084-15678_medium.jpg

and full squads have been released

A couple of surprises for the Highlanders, no Naholo or Vahaakolo who i thought had done everything ask of him to pick up a spot, same for ricky Jackson, very strong NPC covering for Coltman while injured

View attachment 12561

View attachment 12562
That Force squad might actually turn out to be half decent.

Surprised to see Pulu still there. Hope he can stay injury free - i really rate him.

Canes Achilles heel has always been our tight-five, so big loss for us with prop Owen Franks out injured for the whole comp... good to have the big lock Dom Bird though this coming season, his experience will be really valuable.

ROUND 1.
Fri 18th Feb :
Moana Pasifika v Brumbies
{Auck}
Waratahs v Canes TBC

Sat 19th Feb :
Blues v Fijian Drua
{Auck}
Crusaders v Highlanders {ChCh}
Reds v Chiefs {Bris}
Force v Rebels {Perth}

Super-Rugby-Pacific.jpg