• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Unlocked: Round 6 [13 - 14 November 2020]

I really don't know why the Sharks signed Manie Libbok. Yes Fassie is injured but jeez !! Could have rather signed williams from the Pumas if we really had to sign someone.

How does Marius Louw not get injured with the way he plays !! Human wrecking ball

Agreed, atleast we have Volmink now to cover Fassi. Don't know much about Volmink apart from that he was Sbu Nkosis role model along with Jonah Lomu.

Just read an article today on Marius Louw on how he is actually a flank from his grey Bloem days, if I can paraphrase the pony represents his musical talents and ambitions, his diversification from flank to centre which was suggested by his Mom who is an astute rugby brain was then seconded by the Sharks Academy coach. He initially got too stuck in with rucks and forwards stuff but with playing time he has established himself as a good centre.

I think we have found our Esterhuizen replacement. Jeremy Ward has worked very hard to be that but unfortunately he is still more of an Outside centre than an inside. He now needs to compete with Am for that 13 jersey.

The 2 Louw's, Marius (Sharks) and Elrich (Bulls) are the 2 guys that has impressed me the most in this competition, and both of them have put their hand up for Springbok contention.

Not only has Marius filled the gap of Esterhuizen at the Sharks, but I think he can fill the gap of De Allende in the Bok setup too. But he needs to work on when to pass, and when not to. And this was the thing that bugged me the most in this tournament, the youngsters throwing stupid passes and offloads.

I think Marius has the potential but would like him to have a full season as a starter at the Boks before he becomes involved with the Boks. I'm not in any way saying he does not yet have the quality, but I would love for him to be very well prepared for that crucial inside center role at international level. Our Bok fans are very critical of a 12 and within two games it causes a lifetime split of the fans on if that guy deserves it or not. Just look at what happened to De Allende.

I was one for he early supporters of De Allende, when he stepped everyone at int level, then he had three years of being utterly **** before winning the world cup as a starter.

Stedman Gans was also a standout for me.

Both those guys are very exciting but IMO its waaaayyy to early to start speaking about Bok inclusions on either front. I mean E Louw is not replacing our best player (Vermeulen), WR PotY (Du Toit) or captain (Kolisi) anytime soon. He is also more of a blindside or n8 whereas if anything we are short of an out-and-out openside flanker. There are also a lot of competition beyond those 3 I've mentioned all with more experience..

I certainly wouldn't say DDA has that n12 jersey nailed down but there is also a lot of competition in the centers. Beyond DDA there is Esterhuizen, RJvR, Serfontein, Steyn all with Bok experience and maybe a little more polish. As for exciting up and commers, there is also Pretorius and Simelane though IMO Louw has been better than Pretorius and probs Simelane won't be considered at 12 and rather specifically n13 with the ability to act as wing cover but Am is looming large at 13 and I think we'll probably prioritize someone who can cover fullback on at n23. I see our numbers 10, 22, 15 and 23 as Pollard, Jantjies/Willemse/Bosch (in that order), Gelant/Fassi and Fassi/Gelant/Steyn.

I feel the SA public are always too eager to promote the 'next best thing' and too keen to put the encumbants aside. Let those guys pay their dues over the next two seasons. Its not as if we are short on quality at test level.

The only reason I mentioned Elrich Louw for Bok contention was because of PSDT being out injured at the moment.

But yeah, you are totall right. And by the way Marcell Coetzee is playing in Ireland at the moment, he should be the first guy on the list.

No, I hear you. I was more speaking 'long term'. I also have Coetzee as being next in line along with JL du Preez and then Van Staaden. It might be though with everything considered that the overseas based players are at a disadvantage when it comes to selections. Then Louw, Notsche, Jaco Coetzee, Kriel, and Augustus come into focus. Of the home bunch I think Van Staaden would bring the most balance.

I am right when I say Francois Louw has retired from test rugby right? He was making a big impact off the bench last year still but perhaps it is best to move on afterall. Van Staaden a very like for like player.

Injuries and Corona could well see a bit of shake up but considering we are lining up the B&I Lions I think the bolters will be limited.

No, I hear you. I was more speaking 'long term'. I also have Coetzee as being next in line along with JL du Preez and then Van Staaden. It might be though with everything considered that the overseas based players are at a disadvantage when it comes to selections. Then Louw, Notsche, Jaco Coetzee, Kriel, and Augustus come into focus. Of the home bunch I think Van Staaden would bring the most balance.

I am right when I say Francois Louw has retired from test rugby right? He was making a big impact off the bench last year still but perhaps it is best to move on afterall. Van Staaden a very like for like player.

Injuries and Corona could well see a bit of shake up but considering we are lining up the B&I Lions I think the bolters will be limited.

Yes, Flouw, Schalk Brits and Beast were the only retirees from our World Cup squad.

I agree with your options. Especially Eskom. He's been in fine form too, and I think him, Louw and Vermeulen's combination was what made them all 3 look fantastic for the Bulls.

That certainly is a fantastic loose trio. Among the best in SA provincials sides for some time IMO. Strangely enough Vermeulen features in my best SA prov loose trio of all time namely Brussow, Juan Smith & Vermeulen at the Cheetahs. Also- Kolisi, PSDT & Vermeulen was a pretty combo for the Stormers 2012-2015 although PSDT played mostly at lock during that time. I can't remember who was at the Stormers while Francois Louw and Vermeulen were both at the Stormers. Too long ago. Anyway, I digress...

So another weekend where a game was postponed due to COVID. The Pumas was supposed to play the Lions, but had several of their forwards test positive for COVID on Friday.

Now the fear is that because of the amount of forwards that tested positive, the possibility is there that the Pumas vs. Bulls game might also not happen. Which would mean that the Bulls will get 2 points and finish on 21 points. which would mean that whoever wins against the Stormers vs. Sharks will have to win with a bonus point, And by a very large points differential margin to be crowned champions.

As it stands the Bulls have 19 points with a points differential of +70
Stormers have 17 points with pd of +28
Sharks have 17 points with pd of +6

So if the Bulls don't play, they will be on 21 points with an unchanged pd
So the Stormers will need to win by +43 points and score 3 more tries than the Sharks
The Sharks will need to win by +65 points and score 3 more tries than the Stormers.

Congratulations Bulls!

Last edited:
I didn't get to watch any of the Unlocked games because they weren't shown here in America. But I did watch all the game highlights and read all the articles I could find. And I enjoy the South Africa (Unlocked) brand of rugby more than New Zealand (Super Rugby Aoteraroa) and Australia (Super Rugby AU). I find the South African style more exciting and fun to watch. I was hoping the Cheetahs would win the ***le, but at least they finished with a winning record. I had never heard of the Griquas and Pumas before so it was nice to seem them on the highlights. And I really like the Griquas kit with the traditional striped rugby jerseys with collars. I like their colors and logo too. I hope to make it down to South Africa someday and would love to take in a rugby game there. It's too bad that several Unlocked games were cancelled due to Covid-19, but I'm glad they were able to play most of them. It was a very good tournament overall, thank you Super Rugby Unlocked.

Last edited:
Table Points

Bulls 23
Stormers 17
Sharks 17
Cheetahs 17
Lions 10
Pumas 6
Griquas 3

Latest posts