• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Supplements?

H

Hoodo

Are there any users of supplements, either Whey Protein or Creatine??

atm I'm 15, and there are quite a few guys in my year either using Protein or Creatine or something like Cyclone from Maximuscle. Don't want to get left behind, but also do not want to jump into something which I don't know an awful a lot.

I play Hooker - at the moment I've just gone into senior school XV's (at a rugby school) and without injury, would be playing in the 3rd XV( played a few games priorto injury with them).

So is Protein or Creatine, mixed with rugby plus a training programme given to us by my club's pro, The answer??

If you look in the 'General Rugby' forum, there's a subject up top by a company called Nutrioutlet. They say they're a licensed nutritionist, and after some extensive questions regarding several supplements, I'm fairly confident in their credibility. You can ask him all you want, and he'll answer.

My opinion: both are outstanding supplements. Protein is what repairs and rebuilds muscle, that's it. Testosterone also does so, but to use that you need a syringe (steroids). the general rule ive come across is 1.5 grams of protein per pound you weigh every day (so if you weigh 150 lbs, then take 225 grams of protein per day). also, to my understanding, your body can only take in about 50 grams of protein at a time, any more and it is discarded and wasted. the body does not store excess protein. ive also used creatine since i was 16 and started lifting. it puts on weight quickly, but it's a lot of water weight. i like it, and it's not expensive, so i use it.

also, im not sure what you're built like, or what you want to look like, but you may want to consider looking into a weight gainer. you'll take that rather than a protein shake. it will be loaded with calories and carbohydrates as well as protein. i just know when i was 15 i was very lean, and this helps put on overall size, but as long as your active, it wont make you fat at all or anything.. everyone has their own opinion on this topic, so research it, and ask all the questions you can... not sure what 'answer' you are looking for exactly, but that's what i think on the two subjects. i have no experience with Cyclone from Maximuscle.. Good luck..

At 15 you really don't need supplements. Your body will have so much testosterone running through it over the next couple years that as long as you train hard and eat like a mad man, you will grow.

15 is a bit young to start supplementing...

would stick to a balanced and protein rich diet - eggs, fish, lean meat, as well as plenty of carbs (pasta, rice, bread) - if you feel you need to supplement take some basic whey protein - if you feel your muscles tiring out during training or a match then take a teaspoon of creatine and you'll have a bit more endurance and energy...

Thanks for the input.

I'm fairly chunky (not all fat, honest!) and coming back from injury means I'm a bit unfit - Maybe Protein mightbe the way to go at the moment seeing as OSU blue said it repairs and rebuilds (had a muscle injury, so hopefully would work well).

go with whey protein

take it as a SUPPLEMENT not a meal replacement and you'll be fine

look into lean stuff, complex carbs all that good **** and you'll be good!

Train hard and eat right naturally. 15 is probably too young for supplements. You can get enough of the right nutrients if you choose your foods properly and have the right amount.

At your age you are probably too young to be taking many supplements

protein is always a good bet PWO [post work out] as well as morning. dont take more than about 50g at a time, and go roughly 1.7x scale against your body weight [in pounds]

You should be at least 18 to have creatine..and still then, you should be a mature 18

<div class='quotemain'> You should be at least 18 to have creatine..and still then, you should be a mature 18 [/b]

why do you say that??

[/b][/quote]

Because supplements can mess up his hormones. I've seen guys supplements at a young age that had problems. Wait till your older maybe 18 or even 21 would be better.

i think some supplements can screw with a younger guy a little bit, but i dont think creatine one of those supplements; nor do i believe the effect is drastic. ive never seen or hear of anything bad happen as a result of it to me or anyone i know who started it at 16 years old or earlier. Hydroxycut is the only supplement besides steroids ive ever seen or heard of that put someone in danger. oh, and supplements can't and shouldn't be catagorized as the same thing. different supplements have quite different effects on the body, to group them all as one thing wouldn't be correct (e.g. "supplements are bad for young people"). creatine i think would be fine, for a testosterone booster i would either avoid or seek the opinion of a doctor... just my $.02.

I wanted to do it when I was about 15ish and my dad was advised by a nutritionist to not let me have it because (like someone else said) it screws around with hormones. When I was playing our numbers eights dad swore by creatine, and I am sure that the problems he had with his knees were due to over growth, he couldn't finish a game by the time he was 17.

OSU Blue, you shouldn't say it'll be ok etc when numerous profesionals advise it shouldnt be taken until a person is 18, I haven't seen one account of it being ok from somebody knowledgeable in nutrition.

whey protein is fine

creatine i dont really have an opinion on, i donno what its all about

as a trained chef it really makes me cringe when non-professionals talk about supplements etc. if you want to make a carrer, or a long-term hobbie out of rugby (ie, post high-school) then start thinking of it when your at least out of highschool, but really imo - only high preformance players should be having supplements.

at your age, make sure you eat plenty of lean beef and lamb. fish once a week. lots of vegetables. broccolli is your friend. green, and especailly leafy vegetables will take you a long way in terms of energy, more-so than any supplement. and if you get plenty of low-fat protein you should be fine. but i cant reccomend lamb enough either. high in iron, protein and low in fat. especially if its roasted and not fried with oil and fat.

and like DC said earlier, what people often forget, is that these are SUPPLEMENTS! alot of people do use them for replacement. and thats why imo you should only be high-preformance to use them, when your educated by coaches and trainers to eat well, and use supplements.

the reason is that supplements along with vitimins pills etc arnt what their cracked up to be. they arnt natural sources of nutrients. i think it works out that fresh fruit, vegetables meats etc you intake 70-80% of nutrients. but vitimin tablets and the like is between 5-25% depending on quallity. the reason being, if you take (for example) a calcium tablet - you are only taking in calcium, now some add this next part, but in whole milk especially, has proteins and a significant amount of other nutrients, and i think with calcium (or it might be vitimin C, i forget, its been 2years since food nutrition) you need another vitimin to intake it. which comes naturally in milk etc. so milk gives you not only calcium, but also the nutrient you need to INTAKE IT. a vitimin pill means nothing if you cant absorb it.

also being 15, i cant stress enough to drink plenty of milk, and get as much calcium as you can, especially if you intend on playing rugby for a while. 85% of you LIFELY intake of calcium is in your first 18years, or untill your growth has stopped. then 10% is of your lifely intake is when your elderly, so around 60. which leaves 5% of your calcium intake for about 40 years of your life. i mean, dont quote me on the actual numbers, but it is something rediculas like that. so drink milk, calcium, protein, and plenty of other minerals.

moral of this post:

your 15. dont do supplements. eat plenty of FRESH foods. lean red meats, and fish. plenty of vegetables, especially green ones, and the wonder food - broccolli. you should be fine. if you are serious about rugby, wait untill your playing for a professional or semi-professional team before seriously considering these aspects.

When I was playing our numbers eights dad swore by creatine, and I am sure that the problems he had with his knees were due to over growth, he couldn't finish a game by the time he was 17. [/b]

define 'over growth' please, im not sure what you're talking about..

i am not telling him to do it, im telling him i did it, as well as my friends, when i was 16 (about 5'11, and a lean 165, athletic) and had no problems, only benefits. creatine has not been studied enough long term to make definite conclusions. if you're looking for professionals saying it's okay, or at least not harmful, google "creatine teenagers" and what will mostly come up is "no problems, but there's always a risk" as there is with drinking 2 liters of Coke a day.. with the exception of diarrhea (sp?) and upset stomach, which is kind of rare, there are no known side-effects, long term or short term. the only fair argument i came across was about turning the kidneys off of making ATP for long term (since creatine is an artificial source of it), but if you cyle on and off of it as directed, this is easily prevented. much the way steriod users cyle off and on of testosterone so that their bodies wont completely stop producing testorone on their own for the rest of their lives...

most vitamins are MULTI-vitamins, formulated for just the reason you mentioned. and i still dont understand how you can support an argument that only athletes at the professional or semi-professional level should be taking supplements...

im not trying to sound hostile or offensive here.. just defending my opinions... :)

Latest posts