• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tane Tu'ipulotu

C

Crackdown

Just read this:

Meanwhile, Sunday News understands Hurricanes second-five Tane Tu'ipulotu is the latest player to head overseas.

Tu'ipulotu has signed with English club Bristol, who he will join at the end of the Air New Zealand Cup[/b]

So is he any good or what? Honest opinions please. :D

Was too **** to hack it in Auckland, so went to Wellington. Haven't seen much of him since, think he had an All Black trial in 2005 when the Top 25 odd didn't play. Middle of the road NPC player at best.

He an average player to be honest. However he is heading to the NH and nobody's tend to all of a sudden play good up there.

He played from the draft for the Chiefs in 07 and looked fairly good. Im suprised he hasn't had more play time with the Canes. He isn't that old I thought.

That's what we are fearing, 2nd rate SH journeyman. This signing hasn't been confirmed by the club though so it could just be his agent trying to raise some publicity...

We have had some real gems such as David Lemi and Andrew Blowers who have played out of their skins but also some misses such as David Hill who's never looked comfortable.

yeah im with everyone else here. hes the type of guy whos just there. hes the best in the team which cant get a better player in. he would be perfect in the highlanders etc and now the hurricanes have got some half decent players like jane and paku, he slips to the bench.

<div class='quotemain'>but also some misses such as David Hill who's never looked comfortable. [/b]

Oh no you didn't :eek:
[/b][/quote]

I take it you haven't seen him play since he's been here then? Kicking is very inconsistent (and downright ugly at times), was unable to get our centres moving while he was at 10 - he does look much better at 12 but can be a bit plodding and never really looks threatening while on the attack. No surprise he's off to Japan at the end of the season along with Sean Hohneck (to Italy).

For the amount we paid David Hill didn't live up to the hype and I think that's more of the problem, rather than him being totally crap.

He's off to Japan? You should've seen his last season in NZ. He was on fire. What was his goalkicking like? In the last few years he's probably ben the most accurate kicker in the SH. For those that don't believe me, have a look at the stats.

Who was hyping up David Hill apart from the sheep shaggers from Waikato? He was overrated in New Zealand and only got his cap when Henry picked a squad of 126 players for those 3 tests in 2006 (Personally wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an ulterior motive to cap him after he annouced his move to England so he wouldn't run out for you lot down the road)

Watch the final ANZC season. If he hadn't been out injured for ages with some craniul injury he could've been in the ABs earlier.

ANZC form means stuff all - Tasea Lavea always looked studly in the NPC. And he wouldn't have been an All Black earlier, injury or no injury. He was never above 4th (at best) in the pecking order, and alot of the time wasn't even the clear cut Cheifs No. 1.

Just gonna provide a fun fact...
For the years of 2003,04,05 and 06 David Hill was the only player in New Zealand to have a kicking average of above 80% for all four seasons within Super 14 and the NPC.

David Hill was one of the best minds in Rugby.

Wow, and that prove's what exactly?

With such a great rugby mind you would've thought he could've established himself as a clear cut starter at least once in his career, rather than split with Glen Jackson and Derek Maisey, than get replaced by Steven Donald.

For the final season he was. The only reason he wasn't before that was because he was constantly injured :p

As I said before his kicking is probably the worst aspect of his game, he doesn't seem to be able to strike the ball properly and often looks extremely unstable in the air (I think it percentages have been around 70 or less). I do like the man though and I've defended him from some of his harshest critics but I think this move to Japan at the end of the season shows that (1)he doesn't quite cut it at present and (2)isn't happy here for whatever reason.

He goes with the fan's best wishes (mine included) and we are hoping our new 10 turns into the next Cipriani - only better. :D

Latest posts