• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team of the 6N?

Shaun 85

Academy Player
As the ***le of my topic asks, who would your 6 Nations team of the season be?

I would say Stuart Hogg, Billy Vunipola and George North would be strong candidates but who else.

Since I only watched the Scotland games plus Wales v France I can't give my 15 so am relying on you guys lol.

I would say that coach of the tournament would have to be Eddie Jones, no arguments so he's the coach of the 15 you guys come up with.

1) Evans
2) Hartley
3) Nel
4) Itoje
5) Kruis
6) Stander
7) Hardie or Van der Flier
8) Vunipola or Faletau

9) Mashenaud (sp?) or Laidlaw
10) Biggar
11) North
12) Roberts
13) Campagnaro
14) Nakatawa (sp?) or Watson
15) Hogg

1. Dickinson
2. Guirado
3. Nel
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Stander
7. Hardie
8. Vunipola

9. Davies
10. Sexton*
11. North
12. Farrell
13. Taylor
14. Watson
15. Williams [I don't get all the Hogg love - I think he's in danger of going from overrated to ridiculously overrated]

*Sexton is the best of a bad bunch.
Sexton - Flaky, Ireland's back as a unit were pretty turgid IMO, anything that was good typically revolved around the 10 getting on the ball multiple times or decoying via variations on that loop threat.
Ford - anonymous for large parts of the tournament.
Biggar - the Welsh continue to be a blunt instrument, 10 largely dictates the backline play, so he bears some responsibility.
Russell/Horne/Weir - not long enough runs for rating.
Haimona/Padovani - not good enough
Trinh duc - if he had played more, would have been in the running. But for some reason I cannot fathom, Noves decided to play Plisson - who I consider not fit to play for an U-8 team.

Team with hon menshes and lack of standouts (?)..

Mcgrath - HM Evans
Hartley - HM guirado
Nel
Kruis
Itoje
Stander
Haskell(?) - HM Hardie
Vunipola - HM faletau, parisse
Laidlaw - HM Murray
Sexton(?)
North
Henshaw - HM Roberts
Taylor(?)
Watson
Hogg

Evans
Guirado
Nel
Itoje
Kruis
Stander
Hardie
B Vunipola
Murray
Sexton
North
Henshaw
Taylor
Watson
Williams

Good to see Hardie getting some recognition. Think he was up against it with Barclay and Ryan Wilson who are decent but not as good as some of the other forwards mentioned above. Think he'd really shine playing alongside the likes of Vunipola/Faletau/Stander/Itoje/Kruis

Last edited:
Some good replies here, food for thought.

I personally think the only certain inclusions would be Itoje, Kruis, North. Everyone else has serious competition, although for me Hogg shades Williams this time.

Amazed anyone plumped for Farrell at 12, I'd love to know why??

McGrath
Guirado
Nel
Itoje
Kruis
Robshaw
Hardie
Faletau
Murray
Sexton
Watson
Henshaw
Taylor
North
Hogg

Best players in their respective positions there, not that great a team though. The packs have been awfully weak this championship.

why is plisson so popular with the DOR at stade francais and with the selectors of France... no way he is better than steyn or ftd

1. McGrath
2. Hartley
3. Nel
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Robshaw
7. Hardie
8. Vunipola
9. Not particularly impressed with any of them . They all had good games but were equally crap in others if my hand was forced id go for Laidlaw
10. Farrell
11. Watson
12. Roberts
13. Campagnaro or Taylor
14. North
15. Hogg

Why is Guirado everyones first choice (not england supports) after a shocker against england, all the sites have him as hooker as well?! hartley, was the best thrower in the championship, and from what i saw saw carried just as well!!!! Just cause he was france's best player shouldnt get you the automatic pic!

I'm firmly on record as not being a Hartley fan but even I'll concede he had a good tournament.
He'll never be a 10/10 player, but he's consistently a 7/10 at everything he does (maybe a bit less on rucking...) - no variation (where the likes of Tom Youngs will vary between 10/10 on loose play and 0/10 on lineouts, etc.)
His discipline has been far better, and he's been a good captain as well.

I feel dirty now, I'm going for a shower.

Why is Guirado everyones first choice (not england supports) after a shocker against england, all the sites have him as hooker as well?! hartley, was the best thrower in the championship, and from what i saw saw carried just as well!!!! Just cause he was france's best player shouldnt get you the automatic pic!

Guirado - 5 carries for 14m
Hartley - 4 carries for 0m

You might want to look again if you thought they carried as well. That's just from the England-France game though. But I think 14m might have actually been Guirado's lowest of the tournament.

Guirado would be my hooker of the tournament.

Guirado - 5 carries for 14m
Hartley - 4 carries for 0m

You might want to look again if you thought they carried as well. That's just from the England-France game though. But I think 14m might have actually been Guirado's lowest of the tournament.

Guirado would be my hooker of the tournament.

Have to agree with that if only for the way he was The best man in his team on the park by miles in each of the games other than the England game. He stood out whereas Hartley did not albeit did nowt wrong either!

1. Jack McGrath
2. Guilhem Guirado
3. WP Nel
4. Maro Itoje
5. George Kruis
6. Chris Robshaw
7. Jon Hardie
8. Billy Vunipola
9. Gareth Davies
10. Owern Farrell
11. George North
12. Robbie Henshaw
13. Michele Campagnaro
14. Anthony Watson
15. Stuart Hogg

Amazed anyone plumped for Farrell at 12, I'd love to know why??

Well I considered him the best of a reasonably average lot.

Roberts I dismiss as a carthorse.
Henshaw is a 13 or 15.
Dunbar... hmmm, did OK I suppose.
Danty and Mermoz were awful.
Garcia was an honest trier, but a limited player in a limited team who got hammered out the gate most weekends.

Without Farrell in the team, with an under pressure Ford kicking, chances are England wouldn't have got the Slam.

A couple of people have Farrell as their 10 of the tournament?

How? He played a whole 17 minutes there all tournament and that was when England imploded against Wales.

I'm firmly on record as not being a Hartley fan but even I'll concede he had a good tournament.
He'll never be a 10/10 player, but he's consistently a 7/10 at everything he does (maybe a bit less on rucking...) - no variation (where the likes of Tom Youngs will vary between 10/10 on loose play and 0/10 on lineouts, etc.)
His discipline has been far better, and he's been a good captain as well.

I feel dirty now, I'm going for a shower.

Funny isn't it? Hartley thrived on the responsibility whereas, even without the pressures of the home RWC, it always seemed to weigh heavily on Robshaw. He also seems to be quite a people person as well - Jones called that one exactly right, and let's not forget how much flak he copped for doing so.

People knock the constant 7/10 all rounders, but they're exactly what you need in the spine of the team for consistent performance. Good internationals should be able to do everything well and a couple of aspects outstandingly. We've had too many players with glaring deficiencies, and it doesn't take long for those to be exposed at that level, no matter how excellent the rest of their game - T Youngs tight work, Wood or Lawes carrying, Nowell's speed, Mako's scrummaging.

A couple of people have Farrell as their 10 of the tournament?

How? He played a whole 17 minutes there all tournament and that was when England imploded against Wales.

I put him there because I was largely unimpressed by any of the outside halves yet I was impressed by Roberts . Was good in all games except the England game . Limited maybe but very effective all the same

Well I considered him the best of a reasonably average lot.

Roberts I dismiss as a carthorse.
Henshaw is a 13 or 15.
Dunbar... hmmm, did OK I suppose.
Danty and Mermoz were awful.
Garcia was an honest trier, but a limited player in a limited team who got hammered out the gate most weekends.

Without Farrell in the team, with an under pressure Ford kicking, chances are England wouldn't have got the Slam.

Prior to the tournament I believe Ford's overall goalkicking stats for the season were better than Farrell's, who recorded a mere 75pc throughout. I'm pretty sure we'd have won if Ford had been goalkicking.

Roberts' defence was monstrously good this tournament. And if you're going to dismiss Henshaw because 12 isn't his position, then logical consistency would demand doing the same with Farrell.

Latest posts