• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team of the Currie Cup 2011

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Looked around a bit and this XV was the closest to the mark IMO (from rugby365.com)

15 - Jaco Taute (Lions): This electric fullback has been a revelation this season, he injects excitement into the game every time he touches the ball and stood up with some sterling performances in the knock-out phase of the tournament to underline his irresistable talent.
Bubbling under: Riaan Viljoen (Griquas)
14 - Deon van Rensburg (Lions): Mr consistency out wide for the Lions may not dazzle as much as some other players but he is powerful and reliable which means that he has the ability to beat defenders and seldom lets anyone past him.
Bubbling under: Sibusiso Sithole (Sharks)
13 - Doppies la Grange (Lions): Although he spent a considerable amount of time on the sidelines through injury while Johann Sadie was running opposition backlines ragged his massive performances in the knock-out matches saw him edge the Bulls-bound Sadie who faded somewhat in the second half of the season. One of the most underrated players in South Africa, he stepped up when it mattered most and deserves every accolade that comes his way.
Bubbling under: Johann Sadie (Western Province)
12 - Francois Venter (Blue Bulls): This powerful runner burst onto the scene after some impressive showings for the SA Under-20 team earlier this year. He uses his considerable physicality to devastating effect, charging through or over defenders regularly while he is also rock solid on defence. One of the many talented youngsters unearthed in this year's competition.
Bubbling under: Alwyn Hollenbach (Lions)
11 - JJ Engelbrecht (Western Province): This rangy runner was a shining light in the Western Province backline all season. He backs up his clinical finishing skills with a high workrate and it is no surprise that he was voted the players player of the year in the Cape.
Bubbling under: Michael Killian (Lions)
10 - Elton Jantjies (Lions): He followed through on the promise he showed last year by maturing as a player in this year's competition, evidenced by his assured displays in the knock-out phase. He beat aside the strong challenges of Cheetahs starlet Johan Goosen and the Sharks' French magician Frederic Michalak by proving to be the most rounded of the candidates. He varies his game well and is deadly off the kicking tee but perhaps most encouraging was the way he kept his cool under pressure in the big matches.
Bubbling under: Johan Goosen (Cheetahs)
9 - Jano Vermaak (Blue Bulls): Started the seaon with the Lions and moved to the Blue Bulls halfway through but he was a constant threat no matter which jersey he was wearing. He is ever-alert and has the ability to make the opposition pay if they take their eye off him for too long, but does not sacrifice in the quality of his service either.
Bubbling under: Sarel Pretorius (Griquas)
8 - Joshua Strauss (Lions): The bearded wonder led the Lions with passion all season and embodied what their entire campaign was all about with his tireless workrate and focused determination. The only factor that counted against him in the selection meeting was the fact that he shaved his beard off after lifting the trophy.
Bubbling under: Nick Koster (Western Province)
7 - Jacques Potgieter (Blue Bulls): Proved to be an inspired signing for the Blue Bulls when he joined them from the EP Kings and looks set to become a vital player for them in the future. Got over the gain line regularly and left his mark on defence with some ferocious tackling to gain selection ahead of promising young players such as Marcell Coetzee and Siya Kolisi while Davon Raubenheimer can also count himself unlucky to miss out after his impressive season was cut short by injury.
Bubbling under: Marcell Coetzee (Sharks)
6 - Derrick Minnie (Lions): A menace at the breakdown all season long, he plays with plenty of fire and tackles like a Trojan. It will be interesting to see whether he can build on this impressive campaign.
Bubbling under: Corne Steenkamp (Pumas)
5 - Franco van der Merwe (Lions): Proved his worth with some dominant performances this season. He was solid in the line-outs and got around the park well to make his presence felt. Although he faced stiff competition from the talented Juandre Kruger he is a whole-hearted competitor whose commitment is never in doubt and he was able to make his experience count at the business-end of the season.
Bubbling under: Juandre Kruger (Blue Bulls)
4 - Francois Uys (Cheetahs): This hard-working lock kept things ticking in the Cheetahs engine room all season, although he may not be the flashiest of players he gets through plenty of hard yards and the value of his contribution to the team cannot be underestimated.
Bubbling under: Wikus van Heerden (Lions)
3 - Coenie Oosthuizen (Cheetahs): Announced himself as a major prospect for the Springboks at tighthead prop when he was given the opportunity to play there through WP Nel's injury. His scrummaging was impressive and he carried the ball up well and competed for it on the ground just as he did when playing loosehead which was very encouraging.
Bubbling under: Pat Cilliers (Lions)
2 - Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs): The Cheetahs captain led his side admirably this season, solid in the set-pieces and smashing into opponents time and again. He is desperately unlucky not to have played more rugby for the Springboks as he plays with such intensity, and he is sure to push hard for higher honours once more next season.
Bubbling under: Bandise Maku (Lions)
1 - JC Janse van Rensburg (Lions): The rock in the Lions front row can be satisified with a consistent season which saw him develop an effective partnership with Bandise Maku and Pat Cilliers. He was solid in the tight exchanges and got around the park well for a man of his size as well.
Bubbling under: Marcel van der Merwe (Cheetahs)

A few players unlucky not to be there but I can understand the selections for the most part. Your views?

Pretty much agree with that, except I'd have both props swapped with their 'bubblers' and I feel Rhodes spent enough time at lock to justify his selection ahead of Uys.

^^^ Agreed on both points and I'm sooo ****** for Elstadt and/or Etzebeth that they didn't get their chances to stake a claim (with Mostert abroad and Van der Merwe out of sorts a bit) for that available Bok no.4 jersey during this competition. Tempted to move Raubenheimer or Rhodes to 4 because, yeah, while Uys had a decent tournament I feel that's the position where we looked most devoid of "world class options" (only potential in some cases though) ATM.

I'd also be tempted to promote Killian ahead of Engelbrecht or rather maybe shift him to 14 at the expense of Van Rensburg. Also I'd have picked Goosen ahead of Jantjies throughout but Jantjies has been magnificent in the play-offs.

Last edited:
Well, we can't really go off of CC form as there is still a LOT of rugby to be played before we get to Bok selections middle next year. I wish I had the money (and it was safe) to freeze myself in the meantime till then.

Latest posts