• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the advantage rule?

Y

yeyearaya

i dont know hoy much time does the advantage is commited for?..
can someone please tell me?

As woosaah said, it depends entirely on the referee. The longer it is played the more the game is allowed to flow, as opposed to stop start stop start every thirty seconds.

Also on Jonah Lomu Rugby, it would automatically play until the team with advantage had gained a certain amount of ground.

Also on Jonah Lomu Rugby, it would automatically play until the team with advantage had gained a certain amount of ground.
[/b]

That should be what the rule is, say if you gain 10 meters the avantage is over, but after 2 minutes you havent gained that 10 meters the ref would blow up for the original infringment.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

That should be what the rule is, say if you gain 10 meters the avantage is over, but after 2 minutes you havent gained that 10 meters the ref would blow up for the original infringment.
[/b][/quote]

Advantage is supposed to be played until there is a gain of territory or field position that is a clear advantage to the team who have been offended against. What you do see now is teams taking the penalty rather than the advantage by knocking on, etc, on purpose to gain the automatic penalty. Most annoying aspect of this is when a team almost scores a try, fails, and then we go back for a kick at goal. If you go for the score, this must be to your advantage! :bana:

It also depends on the offence commited. If a team gets clean ball and some space, then that in itself is enough advantage from say a knock on, but not for a penalty. similarly a kick to touch from the 22 gaining 40m may be advantage enough from a knock on, but clearly not for a penalty.

It also depends on the offence commited. If a team gets clean ball and some space, then that in itself is enough advantage from say a knock on, but not for a penalty. similarly a kick to touch from the 22 gaining 40m may be advantage enough from a knock on, but clearly not for a penalty.
[/b]

I like this rule as it makes the offending team pay more for a bad penalty.

The advantage rule is possibly the best sports rule in the world. It can add a lot to the game. The only real problem is that it is defined by the referee, so is certainly variable.

That should be what the rule is, say if you gain 10 meters the avantage is over, but after 2 minutes you havent gained that 10 meters the ref would blow up for the original infringment.[/b]

2 minutes! That's way too long, I hate it when refs go back to the original offence after more than 30sec, if that.

I do think it should be played differently depending if it were a free kick advantage or a penalty advantage. Just getting a quick turn-over from a free kick advantage can be enough (unless that team knocks it on within the first 10 sec). But from a penalty advantage, if a team kick it 40m, surely that's their fault for kicking the ball away. If they want the penalty (with the advantage of having the linout) they should stop to take it, i.e deliberately knock it on etc.

I do think this part of the law should be refereed more consistantly, so that teams know what will happen if they kick it away etc.

That should be what the rule is, say if you gain 10 meters the avantage is over, but after 2 minutes you havent gained that 10 meters the ref would blow up for the original infringment.[/b]

Agree with you, but they should make different rules depend on the offence.

Latest posts