• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ashes 1st Test

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Jul 14 2009, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's an interesting mindset where a nation will be celebrating a draw, I'm glad it's something we haven't really slipped into.[/b]

Apart from at Old Trafford 2005. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typical Australian hypocracy but I'd be disappointed if it was anything otherwise. instead of blaming England for doing what every other team in the world would have done, blame Ponting for:

- Using spin bowlers at the end.
- One of these spin bowlers being not even a proper bowler.
- Using bowlers that didn't even cause a single concern in the last 10 overs, which for all the tension were pretty comfortable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Jul 14 2009, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's an interesting mindset where a nation will be celebrating a draw, I'm glad it's something we haven't really slipped into.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 14 2009, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Australian Whine, their finest export. I wonder perhaps if 2009 will be of the same vintage as 2005. Or for that matter, 2003 & 2007.[/b]

Well considering our win/loss ratio against England allows little room for the sour grape, you better savour such a rare vintage.
[/b][/quote]

Why? You lot seem to make a whole new batch every 2 years...

After listening to all the SH posters telling the Lions fans to stop whinging about actual events, this thread is absolutely hilarious.

We tried that defense as well. All you need is one and your all marked as whining losers. Not sure though what your called if you draw.

I'm only winding you up though. I couldnt care less either way, I'm Irish and its Cricket but there is nothing else to talk about and none of the Welsh lads will take me up on my offer to "discuss" how useless Gavin Henson is.

It's okay I barely even watched the test, I just love the banter that comes with the Ashes.

there is no whinging going on here - just a few comments on how england delayed the game - we all do it, but its how you do it
which have been backed up by their own former captain hussein saying 'village green stuff' and 'embarressing'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/h...7337110215.html

Former England captain Nasser Hussain has attacked the team's time-wasting tactics during the first Ashes Test against Australia as "amateur and embarrassing to watch".
Hussain said he supported subtle attempts at time wasting in order to win, but the blatant tactics used by Andrew Strauss's team bordered on the ridiculous and were bad for the sport.
"It wasn't a street-wise move at all, it was village green stuff. It was amateur and embarrassing to watch," Hussain said, in his column in London's Daily Mail newspaper.
"And it was bad for the game - more like diving to win a penalty than delaying a throw in," he continued.
Australia captain Ricky Ponting slammed England for a lack of sportsmanship after the controversial conclusion in Cardiff to the dramatic drawn first Test.
Ashes-holders Australia were poised to go 1-0 up in the five-Test series before England's last-wicket duo of James Anderson and Monty Panesar held out for the final 40 minutes to salvage an unlikely draw.
But twice during the 10th wicket pair's 69-ball stand, England's 12th man ran onto the field to offer Anderson batting gloves while a physio was eventually ordered off by the umpires after making it to the middle on the second occasion.
Hussain, England captain between 1999 and 2003, said time wasting was an "everyday fact of life" and he supported "whatever it takes to win or save a high-stakes match".
But he said the England team needed to smarten up and not use tactics "that makes them or their sport look silly".
"Watching the 12th man run on with gloves, followed by a physio who wasn't needed because no one was injured, looked terrible and it didn't even waste much time," he said.
"It didn't spoil a classic Test match but it did lead to a slightly farcical finish, which was a shame.
"If I were Ponting, I would have been angry too, and would have told the physio to get off. In those situations England have got to be smarter."
The second Test starts at Lord's on Thursday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jul 15 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
there is no whinging going on here - just a few comments on how england delayed the game - we all do it, but its how you do it
which have been backed up by their own former captain hussein saying 'village green stuff' and 'embarressing'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/h...7337110215.html

Former England captain Nasser Hussain has attacked the team's time-wasting tactics during the first Ashes Test against Australia as "amateur and embarrassing to watch".
Hussain said he supported subtle attempts at time wasting in order to win, but the blatant tactics used by Andrew Strauss's team bordered on the ridiculous and were bad for the sport.
"It wasn't a street-wise move at all, it was village green stuff. It was amateur and embarrassing to watch," Hussain said, in his column in London's Daily Mail newspaper.
"And it was bad for the game - more like diving to win a penalty than delaying a throw in," he continued.
Australia captain Ricky Ponting slammed England for a lack of sportsmanship after the controversial conclusion in Cardiff to the dramatic drawn first Test.
Ashes-holders Australia were poised to go 1-0 up in the five-Test series before England's last-wicket duo of James Anderson and Monty Panesar held out for the final 40 minutes to salvage an unlikely draw.
But twice during the 10th wicket pair's 69-ball stand, England's 12th man ran onto the field to offer Anderson batting gloves while a physio was eventually ordered off by the umpires after making it to the middle on the second occasion.
Hussain, England captain between 1999 and 2003, said time wasting was an "everyday fact of life" and he supported "whatever it takes to win or save a high-stakes match".
But he said the England team needed to smarten up and not use tactics "that makes them or their sport look silly".
"Watching the 12th man run on with gloves, followed by a physio who wasn't needed because no one was injured, looked terrible and it didn't even waste much time," he said.
"It didn't spoil a classic Test match but it did lead to a slightly farcical finish, which was a shame.
"If I were Ponting, I would have been angry too, and would have told the physio to get off. In those situations England have got to be smarter."
The second Test starts at Lord's on Thursday.[/b]

Yep, pretty much agree with that. England should've just done it smarter and more professionally.

Latest posts