• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ashes

I assume you mean "even" referring to the balance between bat and ball, rather than flat?!

I don't know if the Lords pitch was "doctored", if it was then it was stupid as hell. If the ball doesn't swing then the only bowler who can get something from a flat deck is a seriously rapid one, Aus have two very good ones and we have one very inexperienced one.

The next test is worrying from our perspective, but it's important not to go overboard on England's failures, just like it was important not to go overboard on Aus's failures 1 test ago.

I assume you mean "even" referring to the balance between bat and ball, rather than flat?!

I don't know if the Lords pitch was "doctored", if it was then it was stupid as hell. If the ball doesn't swing then the only bowler who can get something from a flat deck is a seriously rapid one, Aus have two very good ones and we have one very inexperienced one.

The next test is worrying from our perspective, but it's important not to go overboard on England's failures, just like it was important not to go overboard on Aus's failures 1 test ago.

Yes, I meant a pitch that gives a contest, like all Test pitches should be.

The fact (though the ECB will deny it) is that flat, slow wickets were requested to negate Johnson's impact. Which went well in Cardiff, not so much last Test.

But going overboard after a defeat is an English sporting tradition!!

Nick Compton had 3 100 opening partnerships and 3 50 opening partnerships in 17 Test innings at an average of 57.93 which was the best in test cricket since Jan 2011 last August.
Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/767945.html

We had an answer to out opening partnerships woes and jettisoned him as he was too introverted in the dressing room.

We've been masters of our own downfall since we reached No. 1.

Nick Compton had 3 100 opening partnerships and 3 50 opening partnerships in 17 Test innings at an average of 57.93 which was the best in test cricket since Jan 2011 last August.

We had an answer to out opening partnerships woes and jettisoned him as he was too introverted in the dressing room.

Dont forget though he as playing for Somerset, a non Test match ground, came into it. Seriously though, the main criticism was he was too like Cook and runs just didn't come fast enough.

He averaged nearly 60 in tests? That can't be right?

But going overboard after a defeat is an English sporting tradition!!

#sackcookbringbackkp

Dont forget though he as playing for Somerset, a non Test match ground, came into it. Seriously though, the main criticism was he was too like Cook and runs just didn't come fast enough.
Yeah but that was utter tosh, same reason why Hildreth was never picked. If you actually look at when both were their most prolific in the Championship they were scoring all over the country at test & non-test grounds alike.

Buy yeah now we just don't get the runs, it wasn't costing us matches (we won a test series in India) and the main point of openers is not to score runs but to face the new ball.

Lastly that's the runs thing was the media at the time (and Yorkshire people wanting Root to open instead of batting at 5...) everything I've read since about it suggests he was too aloof and introverted in the dressing room so England managements didn't like him which is the main reason why he was dropped.

30-3. We're always bloody 30-3. Who cares how slow the runs come if we avoid that scenario, Root, Stokes, Buttler and Moeen can speed the rate up later, let's just have a solid opening partnership.

Or, what's Hales's first class record like? I don't watch any domestic cricket really, I assume he's not a realistic test prospect?

#sackcookbringbackkp

You see his twitter rant the other day?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deep in thought right now...ridiculous that I'm lying on a beach when I should be in UK prepping for the 3rd Test! So silly really! Sad! ����</p>&mdash; Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/623198583936958465">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Batting as well as ever &amp; the team have huge issues with top order! What a waste, just lying on a beach! I wish I could help! ����</p>&mdash; Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/623199340216090625">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So, so, so, so silly! ����</p>&mdash; Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/623199614527766528">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

He's like the jilted ex who still thinks you have a future.

30-3. We're always bloody 30-3. Who cares how slow the runs come if we avoid that scenario, Root, Stokes, Buttler and Moeen can speed the rate up later, let's just have a solid opening partnership.

Or, what's Hales's first class record like? I don't watch any domestic cricket really, I assume he's not a realistic test prospect?

True, although like I said I think Lyth is certainly good enough, he just has a slight flaw in his technique that he needs to work on.

Last edited:
He averaged nearly 60 in tests? That can't be right?
It's not it was his and Cook's average opening stand which was the best in test cricket in recent years(as of last august). It's what you need to look at more in openers than Compton's test average (37ish) as I said earlier their job is to face the new ball you care more about them lasting 10-20 overs than piling on the runs. 3 should be able to fill the same role(Troot was great at it too) and 4-6 you want your more prolific runs scorers.

Of course Cook on form does a bit of everything/

At the risk of rehashing the most boring argument in English crocket ... I did think he was hard done by at the time, but his attitude since has been excruciating. It's truly pathetic

It's not it was his and Cook's average opening stand which was the best in test cricket in recent years(as of last august). It's what you need to look at more in openers than Compton's test average (37ish) as I said earlier their job is to face the new ball you care more about them lasting 10-20 overs than piling on the runs. 3 should be able to fill the same role(Troot was great at it too) and 4-6 you want your more prolific runs scorers.

Of course Cook on form does a bit of everything/

Oh, OK I get it. It is a good way of looking at it, more than any other batsmen the openers are a pair.

It's lovely to have a Mattie Hayden, but we can't all have everything, first and foremost take the shine off the ball and make it so the middle order aren't facing a quick, bouncing, swinging ball. Basically, stop us being thirty for ****ing three every damn test!

Last edited:
At the risk of rehashing the most boring argument in English crocket ... I did think he was hard done by at the time, but his attitude since has been excruciating. It's truly pathetic

Only thing that's pathetic is the ***** who get rid of a player, who's been their best over the past decade and leading run scorer in all formats of all time who won them a World T20 tournament, with absolutely no worthy reasoning to do so. Then tell him to sacrifice IPL contracts to make county runs, and then shut the door again. Idiots. Anybody would be ****** off at that treatment.

You see his twitter rant the other day?

Deep in thought right now...ridiculous that I'm lying on a beach when I should be in UK prepping for the 3rd Test! So silly really! Sad! ����
— Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) July 20, 2015
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Batting as well as ever & the team have huge issues with top order! What a waste, just lying on a beach! I wish I could help! ����
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So, so, so, so silly! ����

He's like the jilted ex who still thinks you have a future.

That was quite funny I have to say.

Although to be fair to Pieterson, he was told that if he showed good form leading into the season he had a shot at being selected. He then goes out and displays brilliant form with a run of centuries and then gets told "actually, we were hoping you'd stuff up so we wouldn't have to tell you this, but we were never gonna put you in the team no matter how well you played because we all think you're a ********."

Which in itself is kinda funny, but you can understand why Pieterson would be a little annoyed.

Ouch, gotta feel for the Aussies if they don't turn round this 4th test. :)

Latest posts