• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Australian Open.

takes him slightly longer but he manages to break back, if the games are like that one we could be here a while.

Nadal takes the first set, showed real class to come from 4-2 down as well. One thing about Nadal today is that he's hitting his groundstrokes so much deeper than he did against Verdasco.

sweet Jesus Andrew Castle really is a ***, Nadal always has those bandages around his knees but cause he played a marathon match 2 days ago he must have a knee problem, retard. Right no more BBC

All square now.

these double faults are proving timely for Nadal, one on match point against Verdasco, another to break Federer earlier in the match and now a third to take the tie break and a 2 sets to 1 lead but what a volley from Rafa in the previous point to make it 6-3.

well the last set proved to be a bit of a damp squib but there was always going to be a lull at some point. Rafa fully deserved the win, far more clinical in terms of taking his chances but yet again these 2 have served up another quality match and good to see how much it means to both of them at the end. Great scenes.

I certainly wouldn't buy into the idea of writing off Federer, not sure if he'll beat Nadal in a final but we'll get majors like the US Open where someone else will take care of Rafa for him.

When it comes to the big tournaments they really are streets ahead of the rest.

This is getting to be one of the greatest sporting rivalries of all time. Two players who without a shadow of a doubt are among the top 10 greatest tennis players in history. Both playing at the same time, both having epic matches in finals of grand slams. Long may it continue (with maybe a little break every now and then for Murray).

Nadal only needs to win the US Open to complete the full set of majors. I'd say it's a damn sight easier to achieve than Federer wresting the Roland Garros ***le from Nadal's grasp. I'd love to see Federer equal Sampras' record of 14 majors at Roland Garros though - if he were to achieve that I don't think there'd be any debate as to who's the greatest player of all time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 1 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nadal only needs to win the US Open to complete the full set of majors. I'd say it's a damn sight easier to achieve than Federer wresting the Roland Garros ***le from Nadal's grasp. I'd love to see Federer equal Sampras' record of 14 majors at Roland Garros though - if he were to achieve that I don't think there'd be any debate as to who's the greatest player of all time.[/b]

well I don't think he'll be entitled to that mantle unless he backs it up and then he truly can be compared to Laver.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 1 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 1 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nadal only needs to win the US Open to complete the full set of majors. I'd say it's a damn sight easier to achieve than Federer wresting the Roland Garros ***le from Nadal's grasp. I'd love to see Federer equal Sampras' record of 14 majors at Roland Garros though - if he were to achieve that I don't think there'd be any debate as to who's the greatest player of all time.[/b]

well I don't think he'll be entitled to that mantle unless he backs it up and then he truly can be compared to Laver.
[/b][/quote]
True. He needs to prove he can master all surfaces before he can be considered the best. At the moment he's top 5.

7/1 for Nadal to do the grand slam. Got to be worth a go I think. Federer looked a broken man after losing on his best surface.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 2 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
7/1 for Nadal to do the grand slam. Got to be worth a go I think. Federer looked a broken man after losing on his best surface.[/b]

he's looked a broken man against Nadal since he destroyed him at Roland Garos

Shouldn't wright him off completely though....

Federer was just beat by a better player on the day....

Still think he will break the all time Slam record....

Well done to Nadal. Sad to see Federer crying, but I thought that Nadal oozed class in the way he handled it all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Feb 3 2009, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well done to Nadal. Sad to see Federer crying, but I thought that Nadal oozed class in the way he handled it all.[/b]

I think that's completely understandable though, earlier in his career Federer was a lot like Safin with his tantrums on court so obviously he's an emotional kind of guy. Now for him to suppress that throughout tournaments as he has done is one of the more impressive traits he has in my opinion. So it's natural that he lets it out all out at the end of a major, whether he's won or lost. The proof of the success of that is the semi final where Roddick was throwing his toys out of the pram while Federer remained perfectly calm throughout.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dawner @ Feb 3 2009, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Shouldn't wright him off completely though....

Federer was just beat by a better player on the day....

Still think he will break the all time Slam record....[/b]

I don't think anyone is writing him off completely, I doubt he'll beat Nadal in a major final for a while but Nadal is bound to have an underpar performance in a major at some point and with Federer in the other side of the draw he'll be in a perfect position to take advantage.

The psyche of Nadal is pretty impressive. The pressure at a major final, and also coming from the longest match in the tournaments history etc... and at 22!

Unfortunately i think Nadal will only have 4 or 5 more years max, the way he plays is do brutal that his knees surely cant stand up for to much longer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Feb 4 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Unfortunately i think Nadal will only have 4 or 5 more years max, the way he plays is do brutal that his knees surely cant stand up for to much longer.[/b]

well he proved he could adapt his game by winning Wimbledon, so he's more than open to change.

He played like he always does, which is a very effective yet gruelling way. Basically he has to flatten his forehand considerably and finish with the racket around his shoulder rather looping round his head to shorten rallies if he wants to play till hes 30+. However hes probably good enough to reach atleast 10 slams in the next few years before his knees go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Feb 4 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He played like he always does, which is a very effective yet gruelling way. Basically he has to flatten his forehand considerably and finish with the racket around his shoulder rather looping round his head to shorten rallies if he wants to play till hes 30+. However hes probably good enough to reach atleast 10 slams in the next few years before his knees go.[/b]

well normally he players with an awful lot of top spin but at Wimbledon he hit the ball much flatter.

Latest posts