• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Departed

T

Triniquint

I've just watched the movie, 'The Departed' with Leonardo DeCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg. Very good movie, but the Irish connection was so overmilked, it was laughable. There were people in the Boston bars nearly all of whom seemed to be speaking in Dublin accents; there were pipe bands playing (for some inexplicable reason) Scotland the Brave; and the final pipe band played an English air at the funeral of one of the main players.

If this lot ever pull themselves out of their own arses, the breathe of fresh air will choke them to death.

Anybody else got any comments?

Well I think that was just representing the Irishness of some of the characters and the community that they were in. Look at China Town and Little Italy in cities all over the world and they continue their traditions, just like the Irish have done in this movie. I don't think it was overmilked at all to be honest.

May I ask where you are from?

ferfoxache what does this have to do with RWC 07? sorry but there is an entertainment forum...

Well I think that was just representing the Irishness of some of the characters and the community that they were in. Look at China Town and Little Italy in cities all over the world and they continue their traditions, just like the Irish have done in this movie. I don't think it was overmilked at all to be honest.

May I ask where you are from?
[/b]

Well, thats one way of looking at it. The problem with this is that they were Boston American, and the Irish connection was pretty irrelevent. It lent nothing whatsoever to the actual movie. I am English, from a small English fishing village. My mother was Irish. Does knowing this make a difference? Is it a 'roots' thing - ha ha - more adolescent and naive hoohah?

ferfoxache what does this have to do with RWC 07? sorry but there is an entertainment forum...
[/b]

It's called chucking the bag in amongst the chickens and seeing what comes out. Not the first time this has happened in this forum. Certainly nothing new, or unique.

Well I think what they did in terms of Irishness was part of the movies success...It was needed, and it worked a treat.

To another thing now...you posted it in this section on purpose did u??

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

It's called chucking the bag in amongst the chickens and seeing what comes out. Not the first time this has happened in this forum. Certainly nothing new, or unique.
[/b][/quote]

Well aren't you the rebel? :wall:
Just coz it's not new or unique doesn't mean you can knowingly post it in the wrong place.
Forums are there for a reason, people usually respond quite well and you can end up talking about your main issue rather than arguing like this.
Idiot.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Just coz it's not new or unique doesn't mean you can knowingly post it in the wrong place.
Forums are there for a reason, people usually respond quite well and you can end up talking about your main issue rather than arguing like this.
Idiot.
[/b][/quote]

Go son! That's what I like! :bana:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Idiot.
[/b][/quote]

Ha ha ha - opps, sorry, the new idiom is 'LOL' - but I prefer : ha ha ha........

:D

There we go.
In the right section now.

I loved the film The Departed.
It had an awesome soundtrack to it, great story and cracking acting.
Overall, a damn good film.

Scorcese deserved his oscar for this as well.

I've just watched the movie, 'The Departed' with Leonardo DeCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg. Very good movie, but the Irish connection was so overmilked, it was laughable. There were people in the Boston bars nearly all of whom seemed to be speaking in Dublin accents; there were pipe bands playing (for some inexplicable reason) Scotland the Brave; and the final pipe band played an English air at the funeral of one of the main players.

If this lot ever pull themselves out of their own arses, the breathe of fresh air will choke them to death.

Anybody else got any comments?
[/b]
[/b]
This is how Irish-Americans are...I've tried explaining this before in various other threads...people from outside the community just don't seem to get it. Especially in areas of Boston, New York and Chicago you have these really tightknit communities of Irish. People from Ireland then move to the states ('cause they're all obsessed with it) and end up having an easy time getting jobs within these communities because the people within them see themselves as Irish. The history of the Irish-Americans is something Scorsese became a bit obsessed with via Gangs of New York and the Departed. What happend in the 5 points is what started American Organized Crime and set up the Italian Mafia.
Without the Irish connection of the movie, there would be no movie. I can't see it without it.
If you like this movie, there's a brilliant new drama from NBC here in the states...don't know if it will make it over, but regardless look it up...it's called "The Black Donnellys." It's brilliant...but might be cut short?? Still in debate.

Latest posts