Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
SpecialEd1.jpg

The Rugby Forum is proud to announce that the Answers from the God of Canadian Rugby has got back to us with the answers to your questions. Ed Fairhurst will be heading out to New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup, where he will be proudly wearing the Canadian Colours for the third successive time. Ed has become a Legend on this board and will be inducted to the TRF Hall of Fame, after this interview.

So here are the answers to your questions.

Big Ginger 8 -What are your honest expectations for Canada at the World Cup?

Ed Fairhurst - I think everyone in the tournament wants to make the quarter finals are we are no different. We aren't just there to make up the numbers

TRF_Olyy - How do you balance being an international rugby player with being an investment advisor?

Ed Fairhurst - It is tough at times especially when working an 11 hour day and then having to train for 2-3 hours after. In the end though, that's the minimum I need to do just to be able to keep up with international standards.

TRF_Olyy - Has rugby/exposure to rugby changed in Canada from when you first took it up to now?

Ed Fairhurst - I think it has. There are many more programs for younger kids now than when I was growing up.

Little Guy - How do you feel about the squad going to this years RWC are there any players you really look forward to playing with? Do you think wins over Tonga and Japan are a possibility?

Ed Fairhurst - I think that we have the strongest squad we've had for a while going into this World Cup and I think it's within the realm of possibility that we could upset Tonga and Japan.

Little Guy - How do you feel about the state of the game in Canada, in particular do you think the CRC has raised the level of competition domestically?

Ed Fairhurst - I think so and it has given our domestic players a better avenue to be seen by the national selectors and coaches

Little Guy - Other than yourself who is the best Canadian rugby player you have ever played with/against?

Ed Fairhurst - There are quite a few here but if I were to select two that I have played with, I would say our 2003 World Cup captain Al Charron (73 caps) and our current captain Pat Riordan. Both very good players in their own rights and amazing leaders at the same time.

Feicarsinn - We all remember the last time Canada faced up to the Mighty All Blacks (Not as mighty as you of course) and the early lead you guys took through that breakaway try. What was it like being in that position? Did you genuinely feel that you could push on for a win or was it still about keeping an element of respectability?

Ed Fairhurst - Every time our team goes on the field, it is never about trying to "keeping the game close". We genuinely believe that we are out there to win, and if you don't step out on the field with that attitude you are invariably going to fail.

Lucky Number 7- Do you have any notion of how much of a legend you are to so many people all over the world?

Ed Fairhurst - Hahaha. I had no idea until a reporter told me about the thread on The Rugby Forum.

Dougdeluxe - Canada has had an amazing dominance of USA in Rugby, how do we plan to keep this up as American Rugby grows? This really leads into my second question of what is Canada's greatest rivalry, or the games that Canada never wants to lose.

Ed Fairhurst - I have played the USA many times over the last decade and although we have won the majority, many of them have been decided by only a few points. It is a heated yet healthy rivalry that we have with the US and I look forward to every game I play against them.

Bristol-iain - Are there areas in Canada where the sport isn't as popular as others, if so do you think there is enough being done to promote Rugby to those people?

Ed Fairhurst - For some parts of Canada, the rugby season is only a few months long due to the extreme temperature. But, with that being said, there have been multiple winners of the Canadian Rugby Championship from both the East and West which just goes to show that much is being done in all provinces across Canada to promote and grow rugby.

Thingimubob - Been a fan of yours since I first saw you play for Cardiff at the Arms Park a few years ago! Did you find it hard to adjust to a lifestyle in a different country when you first moved to Cardiff? Also is there a noticeable difference in intensity between playing in the Magners League and the RFU Championship (though was called National Division 1 back then I think?) to playing in the Canadian Rugby Championship for the BC Bears?

Ed Fairhurst - I didn't find it that tough to adjust when I moved over to Cardiff as all of my team mates made me feel right at home. There is some difference in skill level and size in that all the players in the Magners League and Championship League are all professionals but when it comes down to intensity and determination, I think the BC Bears would be able to compete.

cmac95 - Who do you think will win the Rugby World Cup?

Ed Fairhurst - If we don't win it, I think Australia is looking pretty good.

Thanks you Ed for taking time out of your busy schedule of work and Rugby Training for the Rugby World Cup. Wish you and your Canadian team mates all the best at this years Rugby World Cup. Also don't forget Ed will be inducted to the Hall of Fame in the coming weeks.

What a ledgebag. Good stuff.

Gutted me science question was left out.

Oh my God, oh my God he answered my question first! I can die happy now.

Three cheers for Ed!!!!!! Love Al Charron great answer there!!!!

Ed you are!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed Fairhurst - If the rest of my team mess up again, I think Australia is looking pretty good.

Thanks you Ed for taking time out of your busy schedule of work and Rugby Training for the Rugby World Cup. Wish you and your Canadian team mates all the best at this years Rugby World Cup. Also don't forget Ed will be inducted to the Hall of Fame in the coming weeks.

Fixed :lol:

Great interview ... except for the part about Australia winning the cup :D ... thanks Ed

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dh0pa8nIctU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed!!!

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dh0pa8nIctU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed!!!

Watching this never gets old!!! I especially love Todd Clever being brushed off casually...

lol at that guy in the green not even on the field but came in for a man hug. lol awsome try.