• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Final

What. A. Match. Best club match between two English clubs, ever.

Incredible, utterly incredible. Wasps simply out muscled Leicester.

Munster? Go home. Ospreys? Pfft. Crusaders? Pull your trousers down and bend over. Bulls? Go away and drink your pap. Wasps in their form today could defeat anyone, anyone. Their defence was so claustrophobic and tight that not even a teabag could get through. And yet, their power was so overwhelming that they could push an elephant 500 miles, also their opportunism and running (i.e. Sackey and Haskell's runs) was so amazing, it was as surprising as German Panzers storming through the Ardennes in the Battle of the Bulge, 1944.

Everyone was banging on about the two Samoan wingers, but the English trio of Sackey, Lewsey and Voyce made a total mockery of the pair. It summed up the match when Tuliagi got a good run, running an odd 85 meters and Voyce put in a huge tackle, seconds later, Lewsey and Sackey were there and got the penalty for the Samoan holding on.

There were lots of questions about how England will handle the Samoans, I think those have been emphatically answered today.

Again, what an awesome game.
[/b]

One issue I would take with great game is that it was simple lacking in any guile apart from one Irishman - Geordan Murphy. Everything else was bish, bash, bosh all over the pitch and so easy for both sides to snaffle out. The Wasps tries were down to Leicester clearly paying zero attention, at times they were just standing chatting.

Wasps back-row made all the difference. Why Worsley can never, ever put in performances like that for England is beyond me. And Tom Rees will light up the international stage.
[/b]

I think Worsley is a classic comfort zone player you see in any sport - like someone like Ramprakash in cricket - can look great in the comfort of his club but cannot do it when the pressure is on and it's outside that comfort zone. I'd say Geordan Murphy is the same, great for Leicester but has rarely ever produced that in 40odd caps for us.

Oh god, Mark Rampakash and Graham Hick are awesome examples of players putting in century after century for their County and then getting out for an average of 20 runs an innings for their country.

Oh god, Mark Rampakash and Graham Hick are awesome examples of players putting in century after century for their County and then getting out for an average of 20 runs an innings for their country.
[/b]

Did hear that the issue with Ramprakash is mentioned in Atherton's biography, as being total nerves. I honestly think Murphy and Worsley are rugby equivalents, just cannot produce at international level.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Did hear that the issue with Ramprakash is mentioned in Atherton's biography, as being total nerves. I honestly think Murphy and Worsley are rugby equivalents, just cannot produce at international level. [/b][/quote]

Worsley can perform for England, but he only knows how to excel at one thing. Tackle. He is a superb tackler, but if the game plan relies on more than tackling (unlike Wasps big victories v tigers and Clermont earlier) then he isn't world class. Personally i still rate him, but just accept his limitations.

I missed the whole comp this season while traveling the world! I always miss the good games!

Latest posts