• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

This thread is remarkably well mannered and on topic! Wonderful to see!!

Bet Rory wishes he had his hole in one at 16 during the competition and not in practice!!

As far as I can see there have only been three and all at 16th but not since 1935, 1936 and 1940? Had it in the back of mind that the British golfer, Maurice Bembridge, had one in his low round of 64?

No, there has been a lot more than that. I can recall quite a few off the top of my head; Jamie Donaldson in 2013 (and I am sure that was not the 16th) and Adam Scott in 2011 or 12.

Also, I remember an occasion (early 2000s) when there were two holes in one at the same hole by players in consecutive groups. One of the player was Padraig Harrington, but I can't remember who the other one was. I am also sure that Ian Poulter had one as well, but I can't recall when

This thread is remarkably well mannered and on topic! Wonderful to see!!

Bet Rory wishes he had his hole in one at 16 during the competition and not in practice!!

As far as I can see there have only been three and all at 16th but not since 1935, 1936 and 1940? Had it in the back of mind that the British golfer, Maurice Bembridge, had one in his low round of 64?
Didn't Fuzzy Zoeller get one? I think Harrington got one earlier in his career too! Surely 16 gives them out on Sunday every once in a while with the slope feeding into it.

edit: in too late!

Edit mk 2: Here's a list of all of them, they're not uncommon! http://golf.about.com/od/majorchamp...ave-Made-a-Hole-in-One-During-The-Masters.htm

Last edited:
"Hole No. 16
a-Ross Somerville, 1934, 145 yards with a mashie niblick
Willie Goggin, 1935, 145 yards with a
spade mashie"

Love those old names for golf clubs!

What was said?

First he was given a yellow for a mundane infringement, he then retorted "tu me fait chier" then Poite produced the red, he again retorted "fils de pute et je te voir apres pour regle ton compte" as this was all in the 78 min he was on the touchline when the game ended. He went towards Poite for more but was held back by coach Steffon Glas and another player + security so he did not get near him. He did go and apologise afterwards but i think it was water on a ducks back as far as Poite was concerned. Poite put in a full report with everything that was said towards him, and Tian is up for disipline on the 20th April. They are talking of up to 5yrs but i think he could well get a year + so, at 35 his career is over.He was always a handful at the best of times but this time he has overstepped the mark by a long way and will be punished severly.

- - - Updated - - -

The 16th is one of the easier holes, for holes in one, as on Sunday the hole place is placed near the water and if the ball is hit above in the right area everything feeds down towards to the hole, but the player still has to hit the right area, and take on the water, so if you want to be close its a very dangerous shot, easier said than done.!!!

Speith taking the early lead, with Casey tailing him. Wind set to pick up for Messrs Day and McIlroy too, Augusta is very fond of the American it would seem or rather he gives the course no other choice!

Ernie Els just 7 putted for a sextuple bogey on the first hole, apparently he's fed up of carding 3 under 69's to make him snigger lke a 14 year old after his long career.

Ernie Els just 7 putted for a sextuple bogey on the first hole, apparently he's fed up of carding 3 under 69's to make him snigger lke a 14 year old after his long career.

No putt was longer than 3 feet!! Very sad to watch......

Jason Day with incredible 31 for first nine while Rory very up and down and back to -1 after 12!

Poulter has been impressive to get to 3 under after 15 and also Lowery while Bubba has lost it!!

First he was given a yellow for a mundane infringement, he then retorted "tu me fait chier" then Poite produced the red, he again retorted "fils de pute et je te voir apres pour regle ton compte" as this was all in the 78 min he was on the touchline when the game ended. He went towards Poite for more but was held back by coach Steffon Glas and another player + security so he did not get near him. He did go and apologise afterwards but i think it was water on a ducks back as far as Poite was concerned. Poite put in a full report with everything that was said towards him, and Tian is up for disipline on the 20th April. They are talking of up to 5yrs but i think he could well get a year + so, at 35 his career is over.He was always a handful at the best of times but this time he has overstepped the mark by a long way and will be punished severly.

If he threatened Poite, he'll go for a skate, apology or not!!!

No putt was longer than 3 feet!! Very sad to watch......

Jason Day with incredible 31 for first nine while Rory very up and down and back to -1 after 12!

Poulter has been impressive to get to 3 under after 15 and also Lowery while Bubba has lost it!!
He hinted at giving up the game in the proceeding interview, I imagine extreme yips like that must be the most demoralising thing on a golf course and to be fair to Ernie he showed great perseverence just to continue and finish his round.

Rory played poorly and will be kicking himself he didn't make one less bogey in the last three holes but he looks fit to tear the course apart given the opportunity. I thought I had money in the bank after Day's first 9 but those horrific three holes show just how difficult Augusta is.

Lowry won't be pleased with his second nine either, he should really be leading the tournament the way he was playing.

I would not be surprised if it was the last for Els too as he has never won and must be very close to the qualifying base?

Just announced 15 holes in one in Masters history........

Speith v McIlroy has just kicked off. Match ups that what we want to see.

And it has turned in to a non event with Rory going from bad to worse and Speith with some terrific putting and huge luck has managed to recover his swing whilst not going backward.......

I think that this is proving that :

- Rory (of the new putting grip) is not a confident putter which puts pressure on every other facet of his game.

- Speith despite their respective demeanours is the stronger mentally.

- a good putter will always beat a good ball striker so long as he gets it somewhere on the course!!

This is Speith's to lose now.......I would be surprised if Rory will be within seven shots going into tomorrow!

After that round I wouldn't count Rory out when he's only 5 behind, he'll feel like he got away with one and will be aggressive as can be tomorrow. He's the most talented golfer in the world and some of the shots he played today when driving poorly, he doesn't do that two rounds in a row, were superb. If as many puts drop for him tomorrow as slid by by centimetres today he'll be well in it come the end of today.

Spieth, DJ, JD, or Rory are my only contenders, I don't think Matsuyama has the big moments to win the masters in him yet.

Just don't see it

Despite Speith finally paying the price for smashing it all over the place Rory just can't overwhelm Augusta. The harder he tries to be aggressive the worse the results get. When Langer is contending it probably gives you an indication that being smart helps. I get the feeling that Augusta frustrates Rory, that's understandable but I believe unhelpful. In my opinion those that do well love the challenge e.g. bubba or can just take the rough with the smooth e.g Speith.

Speith to limp to victory with Westwood finishing well because he can't possibly win and that what he's best at!

Despite Speith finally paying the price for smashing it all over the place Rory just can't overwhelm Augusta. The harder he tries to be aggressive the worse the results get. When Langer is contending it probably gives you an indication that being smart helps. I get the feeling that Augusta frustrates Rory, that's understandable but I believe unhelpful. In my opinion those that do well love the challenge e.g. bubba or can just take the rough with the smooth e.g Speith.

Speith to limp to victory with Westwood finishing well because he can't possibly win and that what he's best at!

+1

Well after two holes it ain't going to be Rory!
@The Alpha Bro..,....he may have been and hope he will again but he ain't the most talented golfer in the world at the moment!! His mental state is awful and he has to learn that driving is for show but putting is for dough!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Said it before but management need to get a grip on Rory as Chubby Chandler would have if he had remained with him. Worst decision that Rory made was to go with the McDowell management!

Chubby would have not put up this long with JP as his caddy.......

Latest posts