• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

This is so so impressive from the States, they'll destroy the record at this rate.

Feel bad for Hovland this week, played brilliantly but won't get a win because of poor playing partners and Morikawa playing flawlessly. Lowry and Rahm also playing against guys who are making so few errors.

Singles scoring showing the gulf in class. A weak Euro side v the best American team ever, with a chip on their shoulder, at a venue playing to their strengths.

Could be a while before we get it back looking at the state of European golf right now.

Our guys are really playing out of their asses. Rahm being down three this early in a match is unbelievable.

That Hovland v Morikawa match was a classic.

Congrats to the States, emphatic. Really feel bad for Padraig, deserved better from a lot of his players and a win was never on the cards anyway.

Edit: Going to lose the singles worse than the first four sessions which further illustrates that it wasn't Paddy's fault.

Last edited:
yeah, certainly not a surprise - the bloke is in his mid 40's now, also had plenty of back injuries over the years etc, then the car accident as well... at his peak over about a 10 year period the bloke basically dominated the game, which was pretty amazing.

McIlroy should win the desert classic here.

I expect within 10 years the Open and the PGA championship will have been played in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. If it had have happened during Rory's peak he'd have more majors, he dominates out there.

Jaoquin Niemann having a great start to the Genesis Open.

He's won once before on the PGA tour and is a great player to watch. Definitely a potential masters winner, has the Augusta game.

Jaoquin Niemann having a great start to the Genesis Open.

He's won once before on the PGA tour and is a great player to watch. Definitely a potential masters winner, has the Augusta game.
Niemann continuing his ridiculous run. -21 thru 46 holes.

Looking forward to the masters I'd have him, Rahm, Morikawa and Hovland as the only guys worth an early bet.

Scott and Spieth are showing early season form and can win around there too but not convinced yet because they blow very hot and cold.

Going to continue talking to myself here but Niemann became the third youngest wire to wire winner on tour since the 70s. McIlroy and Spieth being the other two (a notable absentee there).

A definite major winner in the making, I'll be lumping an we bet on him for the masters.

Lol, I do that on the tennis thread and there are more golf fans on here than tennis fans. I'll check this thread again when the Masters is on.

I've been learning to play golf for 3-4 months from a position of a complete novice who had no clue what he was doing. Weather hasn't helped much in terms of going out on a course but my first attempt was utter rubbish and I still can't hit the ball with anything other than short iron straight with any regularity. That's with taking lessons.

I feel like if I were playing Tennis having played Squash (badly) getting to the stage of being able to have some basic competency and not be a complete fool would take less time. Now getting to professional quality is a completely different ball game and being able to play someone of different calibre.

It should be noted that because I didn't play sport regularly as a kid a whole bunch of natural motor functions aren't there.

One is game just about skill and technique. The other is one that also requires physical endurance and cardio.

As noted apples and oranges.

Yeah golf is both easier and tougher than most sports I think. Obviously it's more accessible because you don't have to be fit, strong or flexible to play a round (although you'll be better if you are). But to actually get to a point where you can consistently not lose golf balls off the tee, hit the green with a wedge in hand and take no more than three shots to get the ball in the hole from on and around the green* takes years for most people.

I love it and have been playing on and off for years (13 h'cap) but even at my very best I tend to mix the sublime with the ridiculous, getting into single digits feels like a good two seasons of consistent play away which is tough to find the time for.

*And that's only a 10-18 handicap

I've had to give up on golf due to my rugby injuries so if Tiger just gets through this round I'll be super impressed

Is he using it as a farewell?
Who knows, according to the pro/owner that I get lessons from he's using Footjoy footware despite being a Nike contracted person. Having seen similar in the running world top athletes only do that when they really believe its giving them a significant material advantage and with agreement from their sponsors.

If he were just doing a farewell game I can't imagine why he'd do that other than he thinks he will compete at the top end.

Latest posts