• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

The only way for the yanks to be competitive over here is for them to play some European Tour events that aren't on links courses. Plenty play the Scottish and Irish Opens and don't play over here again apart from The Open. The Ryder Cup is played on European Parkland courses which play narrower, shorter and usually windier than anything on the PGA Tour. Until then they won't have the skillset required to compete over here and there is no incentive for them to play over here so I wouldn't hold my breath.

The only way for the yanks to be competitive over here is for them to play some European Tour events that aren't on links courses. Plenty play the Scottish and Irish Opens and don't play over here again apart from The Open. The Ryder Cup is played on European Parkland courses which play narrower, shorter and usually windier than anything on the PGA Tour. Until then they won't have the skillset required to compete over here and there is no incentive for them to play over here so I wouldn't hold my breath.
A guy like Kisner would have made much more sense than Phil

Jordan, who do you want to play with? Your best friend since you were 14 or a dislikeable chode?

Reed is whinging about being paired with the best player of his lifetime and criticising a guy who went 3/4 in his pairing.

Padraig Harrington will captain the European Ryder Cup team in 2020.

He was the catalyst for the recent/current renaissance in European golf so hopefully he can go away and win!

I didn't know the Irish called us Americans yanks. I thought that was just a British thing. You learn something new everyday. :cool:

God, I ******* love Masters week!

Form on the season so far coupled with five consecutive top 10s in Augusta would suggest Mcilroy is the man to beat, I don't think he'll do it though, there'll be a 9 hole stretch on the weekend that kills him off somewhere.

Woods would be the dream but he hasn't been in contention once since the Tour championship and he's an auld fella now who can't just jump in and out of form, he threw away a shot at the PGA championship before winning last year.

Rose is simmering nicely and is back to World Number 1, he's been in contention around here before.

Johnson and Molinari have been up and down but it looks like either one of them will break out and win a big one to set them off on a strong season soon.

Thomas, Fowler and Rahm are all in their own kind of dips and I couldn't see any of them closing the deal.

Dechambeau is the best bet at odds over 20/1.

Despite woeful form I reckon Spieth will do it, Augusta generally brings out his best and he's coming in completely under the radar for the first time since his debut here which i think suits him.

Reckon you're wasting your money on Fleetwood and Bubba who seem to be common tips.

I'll spend a 10er on it, no each way bets because I'm tough, 5 on Spieth and 2.50 on Rose and Dechambeau and I'd be delighted to lose a 10er and see Mcilroy seal the career Grand Slam. (or Lowry on a mad one to win his first major)

Rory to finally complete his career slam. Would be good and worth a punt.

Molinari- backed him to win The Open and think he'll go well again this week.

Woods out to a steady start, McIlroy a bit shaky but holding it together, both have missed a few puts under 10ft. Tougher conditions than expected on the first day.

FML why did I bet Rory to win....

come on Rahm or Woods
He needs to get under par today, his putting looks as bad as ever though so don't hold your breath!

I ended up lumping money on Spieth, Rose, Molinari and Dechambeau, nice watching this evening for me, touch wood!

I'm happy with Rahm so fingers crossed.

"Tiger Woods is the last man to win the Masters after finishing outside the top 10 in the first round in 2005. So Rory McIlroy does not want to drop off too much.

The last 13 winners of the Masters were inside the top 10 after the first round while 77% of all Masters champions have been inside the top 10 after the first round. The average first round position of the last ten winners is 4.9."

crazy that.
Rory needs a quick turnaround and I just can't see it happening currently.

Reckon Li could get top 10 from my bets.

I'm happy with Rahm so fingers crossed.

"Tiger Woods is the last man to win the Masters after finishing outside the top 10 in the first round in 2005. So Rory McIlroy does not want to drop off too much.

The last 13 winners of the Masters were inside the top 10 after the first round while 77% of all Masters champions have been inside the top 10 after the first round. The average first round position of the last ten winners is 4.9."

crazy that.
Rory needs a quick turnaround and I just can't see it happening currently.

Reckon Li could get top 10 from my bets.
He should get a birdie on 13 now, but he looks a bit off to say the least, likely low scoring today will make E a decent score.

Li is a good bet, was considering him after I saw your post and also Bjerregard but kept the extra 5er in my pocket instead.

Edit: And Tiger Woods is leading the Masters!

Last edited:

Latest posts