• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The HYPE! What was up with that??

People like this guy :)

In this case, if you can ignore it and get back on track about the supposed hype in the ***le thread it'll say good things about you. Take that as a cheeky dig and laugh it off, he's actually not a bad lad. :D

In this case, if you can ignore it and get back on track about the supposed hype in the ***le thread it'll say good things about you. Take that as a cheeky dig and laugh it off, he's actually not a bad lad. :D

Cool :) no worries. I'm about to dig into some "braaivleis" right now, so there's no wiping the smile off of my face :D

Cool :) no worries. I'm about to dig into some "braaivleis" right now, so there's no wiping the smile off of my face :D

That sounds tasty to me!

One thing I do hope this thread has somewhat achieved is that I'm getting a sense that some of the newer members are starting to realise that the TRF crowd and indeed the staff aren't wearing blinkers over RWC2011. It's far from a perfect game, we just feel that there are also some redeeming features and a few steps forward that could be built on. On the other hand there's a brilliant looking game that most of us want to get our hands on too.

If that turns out to be the better game in most areas believe me it'll be spending most of the time in my ps3 and no mistake. That doesn't make the less good game terrible, it's just less good. :)

It is definitely a tweaked version of 08, and I love it. Can't wait to play the full version. The important thing for me is going to be the difficulty, as long as that is hard enough it will be great. I genuinely feel there are real depths to the gameplay to explore, you just don't need to on easy setting!

The game is a joke to be honest. The gameplay is the exact same as Rugby 06 and Rugby 08 (pretty much a copy and paste job) and you have less teams with less players and less competitions. The animations, kicking, scrumming, etc. the exact same. The defense has gotten worse. The kicking graphics have gotten worse. All the blatant glitches from the other two games are still there and haven't been fixed. There were always a lot and I don't think any were fixed.

What the hell were you doing for all that time? I'm not paying money for a worse version of a game I already have. Is this a joke?

Also, 90% of the reviews / comments on the FB page are negative. I've never seen a game get such bad review and to be honest, the games deserves it.

Last edited:
What I noticed is that when the first screens came out and some of us said... "Hang on... this is all looking a bit familiar" and "RC looks way better" we were hit with (and I'm paraphrasing) "RWC has been in development for 3 years and RC has only been in development for 18 months".

I wouldn't call that hype... but i don't see where the supposed 3 years of development has gone.

Unfortunately for HB, even if RC turns out to be a turd, nobody is going to buy this, sales will be well down on R08 sales and I doubt we will see them try to flog this tired old engine again.

"RWC has been in development for 3 years and RC has only been in development for 18 months".

Wherever you heard that, I'm pretty sure it's not true. I'm of the belief that the reason Rugby World Cup didn't get some of the licenses that they could've was that Rugby Challenge had beaten them to it. Which I don't thinks a bad thing at all. Whoever gets licenses is just a business trying it's best to secure them.

I believe that Rugby Challenge has had a longer development time than Rugby World Cup and a larger budget, commitment of resources. Mario from Sidhe has stated that the budget for Rugby Challenge is significantly larger than what they've had to work with before via HES.

I believe that given the fact that HB Studios did not secure a producer/publisher until fairly recently in the development cycle, that it's almost certain that the budget/commitment of resources was substantially lower than what they would've liked to have had to develop this game.

HB Studios are a studio which develops other games (often several projects at once) for companies like EA. I'm sure these other projects which would've already had funding and a producer/publisher wanting progress, would've commanded a reasonable amount more time or personnel resources.

All of this is not to say that HB have had a hard run and Sidhe has had it easier. Sidhe would've had a variety of other difficulties in their development cycle, not least of which would've been largely building up their project from scratch.

Given the difficulties on HB's side, I'm sure developing on the existing platform of Rugby '08 was the only logistically feasible step. :)

This is complete speculation
(but at least I state that in my posts) and I may be well out, but I'd be guessing myself that the budget difference could've been something along the lines of $10million to $2million.

I believe that Rugby Challenge has had a longer development time than Rugby World Cup and a larger budget, commitment of resources. Mario from Sidhe has stated that the budget for Rugby Challenge is significantly larger than what they've had to work with before via HES.

I believe that given the fact that HB Studios did not secure a producer/publisher until fairly recently in the development cycle, that it's almost certain that the budget/commitment of resources was substantially lower than what they would've liked to have had to develop this game.

HB Studios are a studio which develops other games (often several projects at once) for companies like EA. I'm sure these other projects which would've already had funding and a producer/publisher wanting progress, would've commanded a reasonable amount more time or personnel resources.

All of this is not to say that HB have had a hard run and Sidhe has had it easier. Sidhe would've had a variety of other difficulties in their development cycle, not least of which would've been largely building up their project from scratch.

Given the difficulties on HB's side, I'm sure developing on the existing platform of Rugby '08 was the only logistically feasible step. :)

This is complete speculation
(but at least I state that in my posts) and I may be well out, but I'd be guessing myself that the budget difference could've been something along the lines of $10million to $2million.

What was the point in bringing up the obvious? They both had limited budgets, and numerous other projects in development, its just one chose to build a new engine the other didnt...simple as that

This is complete speculation (but at least I state that in my posts) and I may be well out, but I'd be guessing myself that the budget difference could've been something along the lines of $10million to $2million.

Even with knowing the budget for RWC 2011, I can tell you there is not anywhere near an $8m difference in budget between the games. We didn't have a budget anywhere close to $10m.

What was the point in bringing up the obvious? They both had limited budgets, and numerous other projects in development, its just one chose to build a new engine the other didnt...simple as that

As I understand it Sidhe do have other projects underway, but nothing that commands the budget or resources that Rugby Challenge is. That's fair enough, I'm glad they have a larger kind of budget than they've had before. My belief is that HB have had considerably less resources to commit to Rugby World Cup 2011.

Having financial investment in your project via a producer/publisher makes a huge difference on what you can achieve and how much you can commit to a project via resources.

The point is that I was posting my beliefs of the reasons that HB stuck with the assets that they'd manage to leverage from previous rugby projects. Building from scratch on a new engine (as Sidhe partly have) would likely have been cost prohibitive.

Even with knowing the budget for RWC 2011, I can tell you there is not anywhere near an $8m difference in budget between the games. We didn't have a budget anywhere close to $10m.

That's good to know Mario (thanks for the reply), as stated in my post that part was complete speculation of my own and I'm happy to admit which areas I may be completely wrong about. I would still think applying all the other factors we do know about, there would likely have been a reasonable resource difference. Might be wrong about that too, but it's the way it would seem. :)

Is it still possible that the proportional difference is about right?

As I understand it Sidhe do have other projects underway, but nothing that commands the budget or resources that Rugby Challenge is. That's fair enough, I'm glad they have a larger kind of budget than they've had before. My belief is that HB have had considerably less resources to commit to Rugby World Cup 2011.

Having financial investment in your project via a producer/publisher makes a huge difference on what you can achieve and how much you can commit to a project via resources.

The point is that I was posting my beliefs of the reasons that HB stuck with the assets that they'd manage to leverage from previous rugby projects. Building from scratch on a new engine (as Sidhe partly have) would likely have been cost prohibitive.

Im pretty sure Mario said something about RC being a completely new game made seperately from the old League games, where did you get the "partly" from?

Im pretty sure Mario said something about RC being a completely new game made seperately from the old League games, where did you get the "partly" from?

I think mostly would've been a much better word. I've heard Mario say that some small elements of previous projects have been re-used. From the sound of things not much though. I'm sure with the new animation engine for one thing, the way this game plays will be significantly better than anything we've seen to date from Sidhe.

I'd think it was highly unlikely we had 5 times the budget.

I suppose from your earlier reply that does make it highly unlikely. :)

Well, I guess that part of things falls into the we'll probably never exactly know category.

Aside from budgeting issues, I still feel that going on their own for most of the project would've made a complete overhaul of Rugby '08 fairly unlikely.

Jedi's comment earlier "RWC has been in development for 3 years and RC has only been in development for 18 months". seems like something I'd never heard said before. Is the RC part accurate? If so, 18months is pretty impressive to have gotten as far as you guys appear to have in so many areas.

Jedi's comment earlier "RWC has been in development for 3 years and RC has only been in development for 18 months". seems like something I'd never heard said before. Is the RC part accurate? If so, 18months is pretty impressive to have gotten as far as you guys appear to have in so many areas.

Depending on where you count from, RC was in development for somewhere between 18-20 months.

Depending on where you count from, RC was in development for somewhere between 18-20 months.

Even at 20 months, to have built what you have in that time is pretty amazing. For a game almost entirely from scratch there's just so much in there. Really it seems like game-play is the only piece left to be confirmed as very good or better and from that point I can't see how the ***le can fail.

(To those who think I'm having a crack at the game-play of RC, I'm not. It's just quite honestly the only part left I'd need to see/experience to know if Sidhe have created a masterpiece. From what it looks like, it looks the part already.) :D

Also, I'm a side-cam guy and I feel from what I've seen I like the Sidhe angle better. HB appear to have gotten flatter and I can't see the depth/gaps as well as I could in Rugby '06 or '08. Would love to see some more from RC though).

im disapointed about the fact that players schal habana juan smith etc actually looked better on 08 than on 11

What I noticed is that when the first screens came out and some of us said... "Hang on... this is all looking a bit familiar" and "RC looks way better" we were hit with (and I'm paraphrasing) "RWC has been in development for 3 years and RC has only been in development for 18 months".

I wouldn't call that hype... but i don't see where the supposed 3 years of development has gone.

Unfortunately for HB, even if RC turns out to be a turd, nobody is going to buy this, sales will be well down on R08 sales and I doubt we will see them try to flog this tired old engine again.

RWC has not been in development for 3 years ... when will people get this?

Latest posts