• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Road To Germany

Australia is unlikely to bid to host the cup in 2018 because they would be up against European bids and all of the European nations tend to stick together. Also all of the European nations know that they have the best chance of winning the tournament when it is hosted in Europe. No European nation has won the world cup outside of Europe.

Also FIFA would be reluctant to have the cup in a country that couldn't guarantee the same amount of revenue that a European nation could.

Australia have the resources (stadia, infrastructure, fanbase, etc) to host a highly successful tournament and it would be awesome to see some of the world's greatest footballers downunder.

Maybe 2022 is the more realistic tournament to bid for.

Well if 2010 the Cup is being held in Africa, 2014 in South America and 2018 back in Europe, I'd assume FIFA would look to bring the Cup to Asia. However, I don't think they'd pass up on the oppurtunity to hold it in China by that stage.

Who will Australia get in the world cup?

Australia will get one team out of each of the three other pots:

Pot 1: Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Argentina, England, Mexico.

Pot 3: Czech Rep, Croatia, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Ukraine, Switzerland.

Pot 4: United States of America, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago.

I have placed the team that Australia will not want to face first; and then the team that they would be hoping for in last place.

If they get each of their preferred teams then I have no doubt that they will go through into the second round but the odds of that happening are pretty high.

Also from that fourth pot they may get Serbia and Montenegro. S & M are in a special pot to ensure that no group has more than two teams from Europe.

The second pot is made up of Angola, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Tunisia, Ecuador, Paraguay and of course Australia.

For anyone with Foxtel there is a interview with Guus Hidink by Derick Ray on tonight at 7:30pm e.s.t on ESPN ,its about the Socceroos and should be and intresting watch.

Originally posted by BigTen@Dec 6 2005, 01:05 PM
Spot on. England are supposedly bidding for the 2018 WC.

At least we are at the world cup next year.
<

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Dec 8 2005, 09:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 8 2005, 09:27 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BigTen
@Dec 6 2005, 01:05 PM

Spot on. England are supposedly bidding for the 2018 WC. [/b]
yeah you'll prolly get it, as FIFA tends to favour football playing countries.

Meanwhile australia, hosts 2 commonwealth games, an olympics, junior soccer world cup, rugby world cup, cricket world cup within a 20 year timeframe.

heck we can host anything......except the winter olympics.....but we have stuart diver
<

I thought it was a pretty good call considering the circumstances. Meaning it was Loratadine.

Well the draw is going to be done very soon. So in about twelve hours we will know if Australia has any real chance of qualifying for the second round.

I am especially interested in seeing what groups Germany, Brazil, Italy and Australia are drawn in. Also it will be interesting in seeing what the African teams will get. I think that there are a lot of teams that can cause some major upsets.

Latest posts