• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Sky's the limit...

J

Juggernaut

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...4-29277,00.html

THE Sky above New South Wales is to be given heritage status by the National Trust.

The National Trust of NSW is set to classify both the day and night sky above the state as worthy of preservation.

National Trust NSW president Zeny Edwards said the sky viewed from NSW had extraordinary aesthetic, historic, social and scientific significance for all Australians.

The move was timely with Earth Hour on Saturday, when switching off city lights would allow the sky to be seen clearly, he said.

"Our sky is the only vista common to the whole country," Dr Edwards said today.

"We hope the listing of the sky will be a unifying symbol to help focus awareness on the need to protect our environment in the broadest sense.

"Unnecessary lighting of buildings at night diminishes our enjoyment of the stars, and the wide blue skies for which Sydney is so well known are increasingly obscured by smoggy haze.

"A clear view of the sky is the right of every Australian and should be preserved."

Dr Edwards said the Milky Way and Southern Cross were defining symbols for Australians.

"Our sky predates life on earth and is known to have been highly significant to the Aboriginal people who have depicted the sun, moon and stars in art and dreamtime legends," he said.

"The movement of the sun, moon and the stars guided our early Australian explorers."

[/b]

This is ridiculous. I can understand the sentiment, but this move really cheapens the efforts to save real, tangible heritage items, doesn't it? Who can now take any heritage listing seriously?

P.S: I've already picked out a cloud I want preserved for eternity (it looks like a horse) and I've passed the details on to the Heritage Trust. I'll be bitterly disappointed if they prove powerless to save this unique heritage item for my decendants to marvel at!

Typical New South Welshmen, we should put them all in hard labour camps so they don't have the time to think up such stupid stuff. I've never been against slavery in the right circumstances. :D

Typical New South Welshmen, we should put them all in hard labour camps so they don't have the time to think up such stupid stuff. I've never been against slavery in the right circumstances. :D [/b]

:lol: I thought the mardi gras would be far more worthy. :bleh!:

Got to say, i love the sentiments.
I wish i could see more stars here in cardiff...

Latest posts