Conal

First XV
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
http://www.irishrugby.ie/provincial/23382.php

StephenFerrisItA09PA.jpg

Ulster and Ireland back rower Stephen Ferris has returned to pitch-based running this week as he targets a return to match action.
Share Stephen Ferris has not played since injurying his left knee in Ulster's final Heineken Cup pool game against Aironi back in January.
He has since undergone surgery and his rehabilitation has included a progressive running programme that was conducted by Ulster physiotherapist Alan McCaldin on an AlterG treadmill.

The anti-gravity running machine controls the pressure exerted on the body, allowing Ferris to load his knee with up to 100% of his bodyweight.

National and provisional physio and strength & conditioning units have agreed on a planned programme for him which was devised by Ulster strength & conditioning coach Jonny Davis.

The programme is based on a comprehensive analysis of GPS data to determine appropriate volume and intensity of sessions - global positioning systems track player movements on the pitch.

The 25-year-old back rower is hoping to prove his fitness ahead of Ireland's GUINNESS Summer Series matches next month.

if ferris recovers to full fittness the irish backrow is truly scary!!! :D

I hope he doesn't come back and wreck his knees completely.

That said if he comes back the player he was, SOB can forget about starting for Ireland any more.

Aye, hopefully not rushing himself back to play the WC - could end himself....

Fantastic player though - though this will mean that SOB will probably play at 7 (blech) rather than 6/8/bench which is where he should play

He's still an international class seven it must be pointed out. As a trio they could get right on Quade Cooper's nerves come the WC.

I don't think so - He can fill in internationally at 7, but is like 30% of his form at 6
Wallace and even Jennings are much better options

However this is probably a discussion elsewhere, lest this descend into another thread derailed by talk of SOB :lol:

Don't get me started on the constant omission of Shane Jennings from the national set up. Biggest farce in Irish rugby.

Don't get me started on the constant omission of Shane Jennings from the national set up. Biggest farce in Irish rugby.

When Jennings has had his chances, he's not delivered. He was actually very poor when starting "down under" this time last year.

What he has going for him now is truly his best season at Leinster and the shocking form of Denis Leamy. Oh, and something of a unique skill-set amongst Irish loose forwards. I still think Jennings has to really play his way onto the plane, and I expect him to get his chances in the warm-up matches.

I'm kind of with Olyy too; if Ferris comes back storming - a big 'if' - then O'Brien could find his best position on the bench. O'Brien still has to completely find his bearings at Test-level. He'd be a very useful, maybe even awesome replacement to bring on.

Right now, though, it reads O'Brien-Wallace-Heaslip, sub: Ferris.

Ferris was on fire before his injury. Hope he comes back just as strong. Awesome battle for 6 between him and o'brien.

Serious competition for spots there alright. But for me, biased as I am, SOB has to be first choice unless Fez plays his way into the jersey. Superb season for Leinster and a pretty decent debut 6 Nations campaign that would have been better had the team overall played well means he is the on-form 6 in the country. I'm a big fan of Fez too, but it's a big ask to come back from injury and show enough form to take the jersey from SOB, who is only going to get better in the green jersey, in a handful of games.

When you look at the competition over the 3 spots though it is fantastic. I just wish Jenno was given more of a shot because he does bring a different game to the openside that we're going to need at times. But looking at SOB, Fez, Heaslip, Wallace and Jenno that's one seriously talented group that would worry anyone. Don't forget there is a possibility of seeing Fez at blind and SOB at 8 in the warm-ups at least. SOB has done well at 8 for Leinster a few times in the last season.

Latest posts