• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Thin Blue Line

At this stage they had better find her because otherwise it's been a complete waste of police time and resources. Yes, it would be wonderful to actually give closure, but there are plenty of other children and missing people who haven't be given nearly as much attention by the police and quite possibly some could have been found and saved.
Absolutely. Still remember the day they announced it on the news 16 years ago. It is absolutely tragic and her twin brother and sister have since grown up. Hopefully just highlighted since to parents not to leave such young children alone even if within a close proximity and checking up on them. But ultimately her family do need closure on this.

I don't get why they shouldn't be allowed to follow them, tbh

I read a big breakdown of it on Reddit and they said the police had been called because the kids were shoplifting and being antisocial in town and then legged it on an electric bike which, for all intents and purposes, is a moped
The van follows them for a bit before leaving them because they're not allowed to be in an official pursuit,
Few minutes later they crash, not while being pursued

I don't get why they shouldn't be allowed to follow them, tbh

I read a big breakdown of it on Reddit and they said the police had been called because the kids were shoplifting and being antisocial in town and then legged it on an electric bike which, for all intents and purposes, is a moped
The van follows them for a bit before leaving them because they're not allowed to be in an official pursuit,
Few minutes later they crash, not while being pursued
Wouldn't the police announce that? Maybe they have and the guardian purposefully kept that out. Like it's fine if that was the case but right now it seems bizarre.

Wouldn't the police announce that? Maybe they have and the guardian purposefully kept that out. Like it's fine if that was the case but right now it seems bizarre.
Yeah that's fair - I presumed that was in the articles but seems not
The person who wrote the breakdown lives in Ely and knows the families involved, apparently very big families that essentially run the place which is why it escalated so quickly/massively

Also I can't see the main boy peddling in the CCTV footage. It suggests to me that the bike has been modified with a throttle. A legal pedal assist e-bike in England and Wales they wouldn't be able to go that fast (especially carrying another passenger), the motor stops assisting at 15.5mph and anything above is all down to the rider pedalling.

The ST reporting that experts think the bike is a Sur-Ron electric moped, which would needed to have been taxed, insured and both boys wearing a helmet, which neither were.

While I can understand that maybe police shouldn't be the first point of call, just removing yourself from the equation when there isn't adequate provision for alternatives seems reckless and dangerous. Part of the reasoning for police being called is because of cuts to services. Well if those services have not recovered then maybe you are providing a need that can't just be dropped.

While I can understand that maybe police shouldn't be the first point of call, just removing yourself from the equation when there isn't adequate provision for alternatives seems reckless and dangerous. Part of the reasoning for police being called is because of cuts to services. Well if those services have not recovered then maybe you are providing a need that can't just be dropped.
Just been on the phone to my local police about a recent complaint I have. They are already complaining about being "too busy". My mate who is a DS points to limited resources. But yeh not a good look. Having a hard enough time trying to get my complaint seen to. Officer who attended gave the impression he wasn't taking it seriously so had to make a complaint against him. Again the he's busy line came up - but that is not an excuse not to investigate.

NHS are underfunded dealing with mental health and now the largest police force in England and Wales want to wash their hands of it.

Just been on the phone to my local police about a recent complaint I have. They are already complaining about being "too busy". My mate who is a DS points to limited resources. But yeh not a good look. Having a hard enough time trying to get my complaint seen to. Officer who attended gave the impression he wasn't taking it seriously so had to make a complaint against him. Again the he's busy line came up - but that is not an excuse not to investigate.

NHS are underfunded dealing with mental health and now the largest police force in England and Wales want to wash their hands of it.
Well police are underfunded too and ultimately the blame lies with those in charge of the whole system, but you can't just wash your hands of one area of society without something to replace it.

Rode some rails to trail this weekend with my mom and so many people are using electric bikes as mopeds. It's dangerous and the speed limit on those trails is 10 mph. I check my speed on my gps (going a couple over) and these mopeds are flying past.

My parents have some friends whose electric mountain bikes have allowed them to continue their favorite hobbies as they can no longer do climbs without some assistance but some of these electric bikes should be considered motorized vehicles.

Rode some rails to trail this weekend with my mom and so many people are using electric bikes as mopeds. It's dangerous and the speed limit on those trails is 10 mph. I check my speed on my gps (going a couple over) and these mopeds are flying past.

My parents have some friends whose electric mountain bikes have allowed them to continue their favorite hobbies as they can no longer do climbs without some assistance but some of these electric bikes should be considered motorized vehicles.
The law here is that e-bikes have to be 250 watt motor and it stops assisting the rider when the bike hits 15.5mph. Doesn't mean it doesn't go any faster - especially when going down hill. My one can go 22 mph. I still don't feel safe and have my fingers on the brakes to slow down.

In USA you have different rules depending on the state but e-bikes there can be 750 watts and they stop assisting at 20mph. And you have different classes.

But yeh I would support any speed limit for e-bikes in pedestrian areas because it's the speed which ultimately injure, maim and can kill.

Was cycling yesterday and came across a Tesco worker on his non e-bike cycling down the wrong way down the high street. Mobile phone on his right hand. Shouted out he was on wrong side and there was a contra flow segregated cycle lane for his use. He just told me to "f off." So yeh some cyclists just won't be told what to do and give the rest of us a bad name.

"How do we fix racism?" "I know, let's ask the white people in charge."

Honestly couldn't make it up.
Makes me lose faith in the police TBH when trust in them is at an all time low. They are trying to drive change for the sake of it, rather than it being the right thing to do and sidelining those who can make a difference. Very, very patronising.

Latest posts